This is my first OS upgrade since buying the phone in February...and I just have a few questions before I do it:

1. I moved/deleted the vendor XML file...CHECK!
    2. Do my contacts stay on the phone or do those get wiped out?
    3. Currently I use the tethering function to my laptop to get online. Are the USB modem drivers OS specific? (ie the modem drivers will only work for .75?)
    4. Do applications like AIM stay on the phone?
    5. I keep getting a message saying "error backing up" when I try to back up the phone; I searched and not really clear on which cache I need to clear. Any insight?

thannks

-a
    05-21-09 01:06 AM
    if you are clearing the cache, that is done by going into the browser and hitting menu, then choose options, then cache operations... click any box that says clear. you can also go from the homescreen to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > Menu / Clean Now. When you do the upgrade, the apploader will automatically backup all of the data and the apps for you, so you should have minimal issues. Hope this helps
    05-21-09 01:10 AM
    if you are clearing the cache, that is done by going into the browser and hitting menu, then choose options, then cache operations... click any box that says clear. you can also go from the homescreen to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > Menu / Clean Now. When you do the upgrade, the apploader will automatically backup all of the data and the apps for you, so you should have minimal issues. Hope this helps
    that worked....thanks!

anyone know the answer to my tethering question? i don't wanna kill my only way of getting online

-a
    05-21-09 01:11 AM
    2/4: with the backup during the upgrade, these are carried between OS installs.

3: I've had no issues with the drivers with my upgrades.

5: try rebooting both computer and BB. That worked for me when I had that issue a while back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 01:12 AM
    that worked....thanks!

anyone know the answer to my tethering question? i don't wanna kill my only way of getting online

-a
    You'll be fine tethering.

05-21-09 01:13 AM
    <~ 2nd that... tether will still work just fine. no worries
    05-21-09 01:15 AM
    ok...sweet..

1. deleted/moved XML file DONE!
    2. backed up phone! DONE!
    3. tethering? *CROSSING FINGERS*
    4. DONE!
    5. ANSWERED!

after reading the forums at this point i:

-download new OS.
    -install OS on computer
    -run desktop and select the "upgrade" feature thingy
    -let it do its thing for an hour
    -anything else? i read two tutorials on upgrading OS....one said something about dialing *223 or *228 and one said nothing about it...another had a link to import or resending service books...but that link no worky...

thanks!
    05-21-09 01:22 AM
    *228, option # 1, then Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Menu / Register Now
    05-21-09 01:28 AM
    I could have sworn that I saw in Lyricidal's (or maybe it was DonNguyen) .148 thread that if you're running the OS .75 that you shouldn't make the jump all the way to the .148. That you should go with the .132 FIRST and then upgrade to .148.

Is that so or did I read wrong?
    05-21-09 07:03 AM
    It was probably lyricidal's... All of these leaks are designed to go from any version to the current; the hybrids are the tricky ones.

05-21-09 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD