When I select close on applications they don't always close. Is their some utility that just lets you close all the open applications with one click? The system seems to truly show down with more open but I have a problem with them closing even when I shut it down and restart it.

Thanks,
    Martin Brossman
    12-30-08 11:27 AM
    Certain apps will always be open (home, messages, etc...)
    12-30-08 11:28 AM
    I've seen a task manager problem, check in the 3rd Party apps section. I think it is free too
    12-30-08 11:29 AM
    12-30-08 11:30 AM
    There's a couple of programs that will always remain running no matter what.
    12-30-08 11:30 AM
    ( your URL here, they will not let me quote it).

I downloaded it, installed it, re-booted the phone and now can't find it.. not sure what I am looking for.

Did you write the program and the other ones. I am very impressed. The Storm should have an easy way to close all to improve performance. I hope this is a program that will do that, if so I am glad to donate to you or buy it.

Martin
    01-01-09 10:19 AM
    The back button closes most apps. Only google programs seem to not obey this command

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 10:20 AM
    The back button closes most apps. Only google programs seem to not obey this command

No the back button does not close any applications. You must select Menu>Close to properly close out an application.
    01-01-09 10:23 AM
    No the back button does not close any applications. You must select Menu>Close to properly close out an application.
    Actually the back button closes a lot of the built-in apps, like calculator, calendar, camera, clock, BB maps, tasks, etc.
    01-01-09 10:31 AM
    Actually the back button closes a lot of the built-in apps, like calculator, calendar, camera, clock, BB maps, tasks, etc.
    No actually, it does not.
    01-01-09 10:38 AM
    It may seem closed but the only way to guarantee it is closed is to use the BB key and manually close the app.
    01-01-09 10:44 AM
    I've exited some apps using the back button and they no longer show up in the task manager/app switcher, so wouldn't that imply that they are no longer open.

01-01-09 11:05 AM
    No actually, it does not.
    How do you figure?

If I open the calendar, for example, it shows up in the application switcher. If I hit the back button, it brings me back to the home screen. If I then open the application switcher again the calendar is no longer in the list.

Are you saying they're still running even though they're not in the application switcher? And if so, what proof do you have of that?
    Last edited by ADay8945; 01-01-09 at 11:19 AM.
    01-01-09 11:17 AM
    ^

what he/she said

if it isn't running in application switcher, isn't it closed?
    01-01-09 11:56 AM
    Let me ask this. If you turn the phone off (power off button), does it close everything running? Then when you power on, the normal running ones come back on?

This seem like it would be a good way to close all the extra programs at the end of the day.
    01-01-09 12:47 PM
    Let me ask this. If you turn the phone off (power off button), does it close everything running? Then when you power on, the normal running ones come back on?

This seem like it would be a good way to close all the extra programs at the end of the day.
    Why don't you try it? It only takes a few seconds.

Hint: no, it doesn't. Using the power off button just puts the phone into a deep sleep mode. It's not completely off.
    01-01-09 12:52 PM
    Hold down the BB buton to see what programs are still open.
    I think there are 5 that stay open.
    browser,phone,email,BB mess and home.
    back arrow does not close.
    01-01-09 12:59 PM
    Crucial???

I'd really like to know why you say the back button doesn't close the built-in apps even though they don't show up in the application switcher.
    01-01-09 01:14 PM
    This question strikes right at the heart of real-time operating systems - I love the question. Consider the complications of having VZN Navigator actively helping you while you are playing some music and surfing with your Browser - you launch a quick look at Reuters and then peak at your stocks with WSJ. The phone rings - it's UPS with a question that you can't get in your messages, but only by going to one of your mailboxes. You fetch the info and tell the UPS guy what he wants and hang up. Phew !

It would be good and very reassuring to have a real RIM app (straight from the mountain top) that one could issue during the day, BEFORE you go into that important meeting...

I can also see some of Jonathan's problems with just automatically evoking the BB Browser when one of his Storm-
    compatible Launchers is evoked !

Doctor Neutron
    01-01-09 01:20 PM
    Crucial???

I'd really like to know why you say the back button doesn't close the built-in apps even though they don't show up in the application switcher.
    Why I say it? Because I know it does not. We're talking about things I deal with on a day to day basis. As the poster above said, it really does go to the heart of the OS and it's core functionality. I don't want to argue, and it's quite difficult and complicated to explain. When I get some time, I will PM you the answer when I can write it all up.
    01-01-09 01:26 PM
    Well I read Crucials' response and I must assume using a windows OS as an example you can close a program through task manager and the actual application will no longer show (applications tab) but the process itself may indeed still be running if you check the processes tab. I would assume that the BB OS is similar. This just my theory based off of Crucials' response.
    01-01-09 01:35 PM
    Why I say it? Because I know it does not. We're talking about things I deal with on a day to day basis. As the poster above said, it really does go to the heart of the OS and it's core functionality. I don't want to argue, and it's quite difficult and complicated to explain. When I get some time, I will PM you the answer when I can write it all up.
    I have a MS in Computer Engineering, so whatever you feel like typing up to explain I'm sure I'd understand. Thanks.

If it does work the way you say it does, I think that's pretty bad design. That is, hitting the back button "closes" the app, the app no longer shows up in the application switcher, but its process is still running. There's no way for the user to know that has occurred, unless there's some other type of "task manager" in addition to the application switcher. That seems like it leaves the window open for "hidden" processes to eat up memory over time.
    01-01-09 01:46 PM
    That's the one good thing about WinMo, it's right there on the screen (programs still running). BB should have similar tool, ASAP. Thanks for info above, now I know why my battery is running out so quickly...
    01-01-09 02:37 PM
    Since no one else has mentioned it, that app is not a task manager as you think of it from Windows. It's more of a "Todo" type task manager. It integrates with your calendar and todo apps on your BB and provides you with a central location for things.

It would be nice to have some sort of program like the task manager on Windows or top on *nix. Especially with the ability to kill off a zombie process or one that has locked up. Without intimate knowledge of the BB SDK, I would think this is something only RIM could do, because it would require interfacing with the OS at a pretty high privilege level. Not exactly something you want just anyone being able to muck about with. And so while it would be nice, I think if it's up to RIM to make it, I'd rather they spend their time fixing bugs and squeezing out as much performance as they can with the Storm. If there is a planned major update, like the rumored 4.8 OS, that might be a good time and place to introduce such a feature.
    01-01-09 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD