I apologize if this was answered before, but can anyone confirm for me that there is a setting within the storm where you can access standard web pages on the storm instead of being directed to mobile versions of those sites as a default. It appears the storm comes shipped with sending you to mobile versions of websites, if they have them.

I personally hate mobile versions of websites on cell phones, and will want standard versions to load for me, even if it takes more time.
    11-20-08 11:24 AM
    I apologize if this was answered before, but can anyone confirm for me that there is a setting within the storm where you can access standard web pages on the storm instead of being directed to mobile versions of those sites as a default. It appears the storm comes shipped with sending you to mobile versions of websites, if they have them.

I personally hate mobile versions of websites on cell phones, and will want standard versions to load for me, even if it takes more time.
    Good question - Curious for the answer..

I learn so much stuff from this site... <3 Crackberry
    11-20-08 11:27 AM
    Yes. In the browser preferences, you can set the "Browser Identification"...to "Blackberry", "Internet Explorer" or "Firefox". This is the parameter that's reported to the website telling it what browser you're using.

Set it to "Internet Explorer" and you'll get the same webpage that you get on your desktop PC (minus the Flash ads, of course).

EDIT: Just FYI...when I downloaded and started using the Storm Simulator, the browser experience was VERY disappointing. I was really ticked off to see that I couldn't get my bank's website to work. Then I found that setting. I set the Browser Identification to "Internet Explorer" and turned on JavaScript (which is off, by default)...and the bank's website worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by Habious; 11-20-08 at 11:31 AM.
    11-20-08 11:27 AM
    This isn't a feature a phone is capable of doing. The mobile browser tells the web server that is a mobile phone and it kicks you over to the mobile version

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 11:28 AM
    You can tell the Storm to handle pages as if it were IE, Firefox or Mobile. The downside is many reviews are saying the thing will send all kinds of java errors, can't display images and overall atrocious load times.

Good on paper, but in reality it seems BB still can't match the browser on the iPhone.
    11-20-08 11:28 AM
    You can tell the Storm to handle pages as if it were IE, Firefox or Mobile. The downside is many reviews are saying the thing will send all kinds of java errors, can't display images and overall atrocious load times.

Good on paper, but in reality it seems BB still can't match the browser on the iPhone.
    You should check out Kevin's speed test on the front page. All he had to do to continually beat the iPhone browser was disable JavaScript.
    11-20-08 11:31 AM
    I guess I stand corrected lol. I didn't know it had the ability to spoof as other browsers. That's a cool feature though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 11:43 AM
    EDIT: Just FYI...when I downloaded and started using the Storm Simulator, the browser experience was VERY disappointing. I was really ticked off to see that I couldn't get my bank's website to work. Then I found that setting. I set the Browser Identification to "Internet Explorer" and turned on JavaScript (which is off, by default)...and the bank's website worked flawlessly.

I heart the Storm Simulator.
    11-20-08 11:46 AM
    Everyone watch the speed test: http://crackberry.com/iphone-3g-vs-b...d-browser-test It shows the BB can render sites a bit faster and with the same quality as the iPhone. The iPhone actually crashed 50% of the time (2 out of 4 tests).
    11-20-08 11:50 AM
    Does Opera Mini 4.2 work for the Storm?
    11-20-08 11:53 AM
    I set the Browser Identification to "Internet Explorer" and turned on JavaScript (which is off, by default)...and the bank's website worked flawlessly.
    Thanks Hab... gotta remember that for tomorrow.
    11-20-08 11:54 AM
    I remember using a bold when i went to kotaku.com it came up as moible web page. But I tapped the BB option and it showed view as a standard web page option. I believe the storm will have the same option too
    11-20-08 12:20 PM
    has anyone found a way to do this yet? i changed it to all the options and the mobile version always came back.
    11-22-08 09:01 AM
    has anyone found a way to do this yet? i changed it to all the options and the mobile version always came back.
    What I posted previously works...I did it on mine and it's fine.

In fact, there's a really neat trick you can do. When you create a bookmark, you have the option in the bookmark parameters to specify which browser you want to Storm to identify as when loading that page.

So, for example, I've got two bookmarks for CNN.com; one loads up the mobile version and one loads up the full version.
    11-22-08 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD