Ok, so I finally took the plunge to update my software to a beta, and believe me this is not the plunge I was hoping for... I installed .99 on my storm last night and everything worked great! I had no problems with installation and everything ran smoothly.

I fiddled with it for an hour before going to bed, then let the phone do its thing auto on/off overnight. It was working as of this morning too, right at 6am my emails came in and I received my messages.

However, I didn't get up until later on and when I picked up my phone, the screen was blank. I pressed the power button and it sequenced the red led twice, then nothing, then twice, and so on... Research tells me that my phone is (uh oh) bricked? I've tried letting it charge but the battery should be full from charging overnight. Plugged in or not, when I press the power button, I get NOTHING. When I perform a battery pull, I get NOTHING.

Before I decided to take the plunge, I had been dealing with spontaneous reboots with .75 every day, especially during longer phone calls. I figured an attempt to update the software would correct the issue. Perhaps I was wrong?

Please offer me some advice as to what I should do to either get the phone functioning or how to deal with VZ for a new replacement... I've had my phone replaced before but I hadn't tinkered with the software aside from installing 3rd party apps.

Thankfully I have everything backed up so it shouldn't be a problem if i must do a complete wipe.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by ge-off; 02-04-09 at 07:51 AM.
    02-04-09 07:46 AM
    Ok, so I finally took the plunge to update my software to a beta, and believe me this is not the plunge I was hoping for... I installed .99 on my storm last night and everything worked great! I had no problems with installation and everything ran smoothly.

I fiddled with it for an hour before going to bed, then let the phone do its thing auto on/off overnight. It was working as of this morning too, right at 6am my emails came in and I received my messages.

However, I didn't get up until later on and when I picked up my phone, the screen was blank. I pressed the power button and it sequenced the red led twice, then nothing, then twice, and so on... Research tells me that my phone is (uh oh) bricked? I've tried letting it charge but the battery should be full from charging overnight. Plugged in or not, when I press the power button, I get NOTHING. When I perform a battery pull, I get NOTHING.

Before I decided to take the plunge, I had been dealing with spontaneous reboots with .75 every day, especially during longer phone calls. I figured an attempt to update the software would correct the issue. Perhaps I was wrong?

Please offer me some advice as to what I should do to either get the phone functioning or how to deal with VZ for a new replacement... I've had my phone replaced before but I hadn't tinkered with the software aside from installing 3rd party apps.

Thankfully I have everything backed up so it shouldn't be a problem if i must do a complete wipe.

Thanks!!
    I never had reboots with .75 so that sounds dicey but with the phone "off" you should see the light either slowly blink green indicating it is charging or solid green indicating its charged. The red light flashing twice makes me think it is trying to start up then shutdown on a dead battery.

Perhaps your charger/usb cable is not working or providing a charge??? If you were using the charger, try the usb cable to a PC, if you were using the USB try the charger.

I hope this helps.
    02-04-09 08:27 AM
    I never had reboots with .75 so that sounds dicey but with the phone "off" you should see the light either slowly blink green indicating it is charging or solid green indicating its charged. The red light flashing twice makes me think it is trying to start up then shutdown on a dead battery.

Perhaps your charger/usb cable is not working or providing a charge??? If you were using the charger, try the usb cable to a PC, if you were using the USB try the charger.

I hope this helps.
    While charging both via PC and the Wall Charger, I receive nothing. No green light. No red lights (any longer). It won't do anything at all.

I can't even follow tutorials on fixing a bricked/nuked/whatever phone because they expect it to at least power on.

Got any other ideas? Thanks!
    02-04-09 08:31 AM
    What happens when you leave the battery out and plug the phone to ac power?
    02-04-09 08:41 AM
    I have .99 installed too. This may have nothing to do with the OS but when you pull the battery then replace it the red light comes on steady then goes off. Could your battery somehow not be making good contact? I know this suggestion sounds lame but this issue could have been why you were getting reboots on .75 and now the condition just got worse.
    02-04-09 08:46 AM
    Also does the DTM recognize the phone's PIN?
    02-04-09 08:46 AM

Thanks!!
    I had the exact same thing happen to me on Monday. I charged my phone overnight Sunday, and was in meetings almost all day and used the phone for one call and read about 20 emails on it. As I was driving home I tried to make a phone call and had the exact same thing. It was dead with a couple of flashing lights. Battery pull did nothing. I tried plugging it into my car charger to see if somehow the battery was just dead. Nothing. When I got home, it was still dead. A couple more battery pulls did nothing. I finally put it in my cradle and about 1/2 hour later, suddenly the white boot screen showed up, the phone started working again. I wrote it off to a really drained battery (though I'm not sure how that could have happened since I barely used the phone), but that doesn't seem to be the case with you if you charged it.
    02-04-09 09:12 AM
    The exact same thing is happening to me with 99. Last night I happened to notice it doing a "scheduled reboot" and it never came back on. Assuming the battery might be dead I charged it over night to no help.

When you press or hold the screen or buttons nothing happens and the radio has been also turned off. When I do a battery pull the screen does work as normal during the load and the regular menu screen appears briefly during the security load but then it immediately displays the Verizon screen and fades out to nothing again!! It's almost as if it's stuck in wanting to go into power off mode.

I have tried to reinstall the OS and once again the screen runs as expected during install but same problem is immediate after install complete. The DTM does recognize my phone and pin and seems to work with phone as expected.

Any ideas are appreciated!
    02-04-09 09:15 AM
    You probably just need a new battery. VZW will give you one for free if they deem that to be the problem. Happened to me once.
    02-04-09 09:16 AM
    What happens when you leave the battery out and plug the phone to ac power?
    It still won't do anything... No LED lights, no screen power, nothin'
    02-04-09 09:22 AM
    I have .99 installed too. This may have nothing to do with the OS but when you pull the battery then replace it the red light comes on steady then goes off. Could your battery somehow not be making good contact? I know this suggestion sounds lame but this issue could have been why you were getting reboots on .75 and now the condition just got worse.
    I already tried this -- I wiped the contacts on both the phone and the battery (both were clean in the first place). I also placed a piece of post-it paper folded in half between the far end of the battery and the casing to force a contact, still nothing
    02-04-09 09:24 AM
    Also does the DTM recognize the phone's PIN?
    I don't fully understand this question...but I'll try to answer it.

I tried hooking it up to Desktop Manager to see if the computer will read it -- XP doesn't see the device and DM doesn't see a pin or any kind of phone existence. Probably due to the fact that the phone won't power on...
    02-04-09 09:26 AM
    You can always take it to vzw and exchange the phone..if it wont start, they have no way of seeing it was loaded with a beta OS.
    02-04-09 09:30 AM
    You probably just need a new battery. VZW will give you one for free if they deem that to be the problem. Happened to me once.
    This thought has crossed my mind... Although I have not had any problems with power drains or a battery that won't hold a charge, and I've had this replacement phone for about 3 weeks (ironically the first phone was replaced in 3 weeks as well but for a different reason altogether).

I find it strange that a battery will charge fully one day and the next show no life whatsoever. I'm leaning toward a hardware malfunction with the phone, whether the charging mechanism went bad, or .99 is the result.

Note, all of this occurred while the phone was plugged in this morning. I picked up the phone to check my messages (still plugged in) and it appeared to be trying to do one of its spontaneous boots. However, it flashed the red light off and on several times before I decided to pull the battery. Since then, the phone is completely dead.

Thanks for all of the advice -- please keep the comments/assistance rolling!
    02-04-09 09:31 AM
    I have tried another battery with the same result. This seems to be some sort of software issue.
    02-04-09 09:32 AM
    Absolutely correct. Batteries have a 1 year warranty just like the devices. Albeit its a separate warranty, but a warranty none the less. Call technical support and they can ship one out via FedEx that day if you call before 3pm EST.
    02-04-09 09:32 AM
    Absolutely correct. Batteries have a 1 year warranty just like the devices. Albeit its a separate warranty, but a warranty none the less. Call technical support and they can ship one out via FedEx that day if you call before 3pm EST.
    But what would cause a battery to simply croak overnight?

Unless there was some sort of power surge over the power lines, which is highly unlikely this time of year... And if there was a surge, my charger is behind a surge protector, and a surge would most certainly reek havoc on the phone's hardware.
    02-04-09 09:37 AM
    I know that .99 drains the battery fast. When you plug it into the wall or us to charge, you need to give it at least 1/2 hour to an hour before attempting to turn it on. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 09:40 AM
    I meant usb not us. Auto correction

02-04-09 09:41 AM
    I know that .99 drains the battery fast. When you plug it into the wall or us to charge, you need to give it at least 1/2 hour to an hour before attempting to turn it on. Good luck.

I left for an hour this morning with my phone plugged in. The phone has never once indicated that it is receiving a charge. But I believe there is more to this than a simple battery issue...

So if I return to the VZ store today to have them look at it, with .99 installed (since I am unable to downgrade), is it possible to still have the phone replaced under warranty or at the very least under my insurance plan? I highly doubt they will be able to do much with it, but I ask because I am uncertain...
    02-04-09 09:42 AM
    Have you tried: take battery out, connect to PC and reloading the OS with Javaloader? I think there is a tutorial somewhere on this.

If this absolutely did not happen during an OS load, (that is user error loading an OS) I would walk into the nearest VZW store this morning with it and my box and demand a brand new Storm. An OS will not cause the phone to do that.
    02-04-09 09:58 AM

This assumes the battery is totally dead, correct? I've had my Storm auto-shutdown due to a "very low" battery in the car and I turned around and put the phone on my car charger. It immediately rebooted and I was back in action admittedly with the cord connected.
    02-04-09 10:01 AM
    Have you tried: take battery out, connect to PC and reloading the OS with Javaloader? I think there is a tutorial somewhere on this.

If this absolutely did not happen during an OS load, (that is user error loading an OS) I would walk into the nearest VZW store this morning with it and my box and demand a brand new Storm. An OS will not cause the phone to do that.
    I have tried to connect the blackberry without the battery into my PC, but the PC won't recognize the hardware...

I was able to use my phone fully last night after the OS load. I was tinkering with it for a good hour before I went to bed. Only this morning after an auto on/off did the phone stop functioning.

I'm planning on going to the VZW store here in a little bit... Thanks for all the help!
    02-04-09 10:25 AM
    Alright, so I took my phone back to the VZW store and they replaced it, no questions asked. I'm sticking to .75 until the official release comes out.

Thanks for everyone's submissions! I appreciate the help!
    02-04-09 11:35 AM
    Alright, so I took my phone back to the VZW store and they replaced it, no questions asked. I'm sticking to .75 until the official release comes out.

Thanks for everyone's submissions! I appreciate the help!
    did they try putting a new battery in to see if it would work?
    02-04-09 11:51 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD