I got my storm in the middle of January and updated to .90 and then to .99 a couple of days ago. My main problems with .75 and .90 were the random reboots and the freezing. After reading the reviews of .99 it seemed that the freezes and reboots as well as the VSOD were fixed. Since updating I have not gotten the vsod, but have still had freezes and reboots. When I installed .99 i did a clean wipe, and I keep my storm in a holster. The only times that it freezes are when I take it out of the holster.

Am I doing something wrong or was the freezing not fully fixed by .99? Everyone here seems to love it, but I haven't noticed too many improvements.
    02-04-09 11:39 PM
    It does freeze but VERY rarely. My .90 froze 3-4 times a day. In 4 days with .99 the phone froze yesterday a couple times in a small time period and before and after that NOTHING. Not a single problem.
    02-05-09 12:09 AM
    That stupid magnet baffled me on my 7130e and led me to attribute freezes and reboots to it...I know I know, different device, different OS, different...

I've read where some folks around here who still use a case with a magnet are having some issues...
    02-05-09 12:10 AM
    FWIW.......

I won't use a pouch with a sleeper magnet ever again...they made my Storm go nuts...noise screens, multiple transparent screens layered on each other, freezing, etc. I had to pull my battery every time I tried to use it...but they always worked great for my Pearl.
    02-05-09 12:12 AM
    I have a magnet holster from my 8830 and until I went to .99 had no problems at all.
    02-05-09 05:18 PM
    I have left my Storm out of the magnet holster (BB case) for a few days now. I have not experienced any problems with the Storm locking up or rebooting.

If this issue is more common than not, why is it still an issue for RIM? Puzzles me.
    02-10-09 09:08 AM
    Mine would freeze but once I wiped and reinstalled it's been fine now.
    02-10-09 01:05 PM
    i had issues with .99 but then i wiped and reinstalled and have not had any issues (mind you i did this over the weekend, so i will have to let you know.) Thanks!
    02-10-09 01:10 PM
    There should not be freezing on .75. If you were getting freezing and random re-boots on an official OS, you should trade in for a new Storm immediately.
    02-10-09 02:03 PM
    My first unit randomly froze and rebooted when removing from the magnetic holster for the 3 weeks I had it. I upgraded this unit with the official 0.75 firmware OTA.

My second unit was shipped with 0.75. I have had it for 5 weeks and not once has it froze or reboot.
    02-10-09 02:16 PM
    .99's only true issue is the freezing in either aim, google, or bbm. it's a weird issue, but it does get kind of annoying after awhile. you just have to remember to not leave the messaging service up while the storm goes into standby mode. if you follow that rule, you should be okay
    02-10-09 02:21 PM
    i have .99 and i get lag sometimes. if its locked or holstered and i get an IM it will be unresponsive for about 5 seconds then catches up to all the random buttons i hit lol. if your getting total freezes then it sounds like the hardware is bad. i'd suggest replacing within the 30 day wfg or warantee replacement. warantee replacement should be refurb but they work just as well. if not then call and complain. if you get 3 replacements within 90 days then they will give you a new one. don't play your "ace" too soon. if you lead on that you just want a new device they will get skeptical and most likely try to find any excuse to keep giving you refurbs.
    02-10-09 09:34 PM
    My phone seems to not be freezing as much now, but instead when I pull it out of the holster instead of the screen turning on it stays black and then goes into a random reboot.

These reboots and random freezes are the only thing I am not happy with about the Storm once those are fixed I will love it
    02-10-09 11:09 PM
    I have left my Storm out of the magnet holster (BB case) for a few days now. I have not experienced any problems with the Storm locking up or rebooting.

If this issue is more common than not, why is it still an issue for RIM? Puzzles me.
    After upgrading to .103, I went back to using my BB case. Haven't had a lock-up yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    02-17-09 11:07 AM
    There should not be freezing on .75. If you were getting freezing and random re-boots on an official OS, you should trade in for a new Storm immediately.
    I received freezes on .75 and called VZW. They said that it was a known issue in the OS and that RIM was working on providing a fix.

In my years of working with computers, OS lockups are generally not caused by hardware. There are the times when they are, but more times than not it is software related.
    02-17-09 11:12 AM
    After upgrading to .103, I went back to using my BB case. Haven't had a lock-up yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Had a lock-up this morning.

I had it in the case, received a BBM message, and when I pulled it out, it was locked up.
    02-18-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD