Ok so I've been with .99 since last weekend. It's stable in the sense it doesn't reboot like .83-90. But OMG.. The lag with lock, the keypad and clicking things to load. Sometimes it like pauses in a keystroke and somehow ends up hiding an icon or i end up accidentally moving it and putting it into a folder. It seemed pretty fast when I first installed it but now there's a definate lag going on. The "my fingers are faster than the blue glow" problem is annoying as well. Hopefully then can add the improvements in .83.-.90 minus the Verizon Screen of Death which I have not had once with .99 but did have from .83-90.
    02-06-09 11:18 PM
    Are you actually closing applications when you are done with them? Hold down the BB Menu and when the menu comes up how many icons are in that list?
    02-07-09 02:50 AM
    Ok so I've been with .99 since last weekend. It's stable in the sense it doesn't reboot like .83-90. But OMG.. The lag with lock, the keypad and clicking things to load. Sometimes it like pauses in a keystroke and somehow ends up hiding an icon or i end up accidentally moving it and putting it into a folder. It seemed pretty fast when I first installed it but now there's a definate lag going on. The "my fingers are faster than the blue glow" problem is annoying as well. Hopefully then can add the improvements in .83.-.90 minus the Verizon Screen of Death which I have not had once with .99 but did have from .83-90.
    Thank you. Same with 100.

There are some questions as whether the storm hardware is up to the task.
    I would think it is since it got dedicated units for several things meaning that those can perform certain tasks much faster. But if the normal CPU power had to be downgraded to make space for those dedicated ones, that might explain the lagging. Several other options too... we don't know because RIM keeps everything closed.
    02-07-09 05:15 AM
    Are you actually closing applications when you are done with them? Hold down the BB Menu and when the menu comes up how many icons are in that list?
    5. Phone, Browser, BB Messenger, Main email w/no msgs. I think the screen lag and physical button lagged are linked somehow.
    02-07-09 09:18 AM
    It 's the phone or the OS. I have the same problem. I have had it to one extent or another with every OS I have loaded, and I've loaded almost all of them.

This phone is killing me. I've had it. I can't take it anymore. I'm in Europe on business, but when I get back I'm going to switch to the Bold or the 8900 Curve.
    02-07-09 09:24 AM
    Thank you. Same with 100.

There are some questions as whether the storm hardware is up to the task.
    I would think it is since it got dedicated units for several things meaning that those can perform certain tasks much faster. But if the normal CPU power had to be downgraded to make space for those dedicated ones, that might explain the lagging. Several other options too... we don't know because RIM keeps everything closed.
    I am beginning to ask myself that same question about whether the phone is up to the task.

However, let's give RIM some time here. The fact that they were able to take the phone from .65 ---> .99 in what is a little over 2 months time gives me hope. I really do feel like it is software at this point.

Now if we are having this discussion come June...
    02-07-09 09:35 AM
    Some of the other version worked better in regards to my current complaints. This one is very stable for me as in no lockups whenever I do Quickpull and it tries to load up and the media card/VSoD showing up. Haven't had that happen once all week. This version always seems like its trying to do something in the background whether you see it happening or not. I get the loading clock pop up all over the place where it hasn't shown before. I love the phone but also am getting really tired of every update seeming to be fix one problem or introduce or reintroduce another.
    02-07-09 09:35 AM
    You guys don't seem to understand what "leaked" means. Of course you're going to have issues's these are OS's that are being tested. They are not meant for release. They are test operating systems that combined are a series of test for the final general release. If you don't like the problems you're having wait for the general release.
    02-07-09 09:58 AM
    You guys don't seem to understand what "leaked" means. Of course you're going to have issues's these are OS's that are being tested. They are not meant for release. They are test operating systems that combined are a series of test for the final general release. If you don't like the problems you're having wait for the general release.
    I know what leaked means. The problems is the phone was released with an official WAY BAD OS, .65. .75 made things better than .65 but it's still a kinda crappy OS in regards to an official release. Other people that I know have the phone and aren't the least bit tech savy and are still running .75 complain about how slow it is, etc. I keep telling them to hold out for an OS update. I updated a coworkers phone to .99 and he immediately saw the speed increase in regards to accelerometer, etc and has been temporarily pacified. It's just we've seen 76, 83, 85, 90, and now 99 and some seem to improve some things and then break new things or previously fixed things again. I'm sticking with the phone, but you have to admit that we haven't had an official release since subpar .75 at the begining of December. The phone has great potential and I love it, I just sometimes questions if they have the right people working on the OS or they cycle them in and out and creates new problems. Eventually they'll get it right.. Maybe for Valentine's Day to show some love? :-b
    Last edited by kidqwik; 02-07-09 at 10:16 AM.
    02-07-09 10:14 AM
    in regards to the screen lock lag, I disabled memory cleaner and my lock lag was gone ... I couldnt find a way to disable memory cleaner from auto clearing when I locked my phone.
    02-07-09 12:34 PM
    What's interesting to me is that my phone freezes once every day or two now that I am using .99 --- but I have NEVER had it freeze on me when I had .65, .75, .90.
    02-07-09 08:09 PM
    I had it freeze once on me today and I have to battery pull it. Was getting stuck on the loading clock. Other than that no hard freezes with .99. Moving in slow mo though sure can feel like freezing with all the lag here and there. :-/
    02-08-09 12:08 AM
    Oh no not the LoD.... I just got through my VSoD!

Lol ;-). I do think however the lag is somewhat software and hardware related, but it depends if the CPU hardware is fast enough, and if it is, then the software OS could just be the culprit
    02-08-09 01:34 AM
    ive downloaded all the leaks up to date.. and .99 reminds me alot like a slight quicker .75.. so far for me .90 was the quickest, with the least vsod's than the previous builds.. but you still have the camera issues..
    02-08-09 01:38 AM
    Camera issues are killing it for me.
    02-08-09 02:02 AM
    ive downloaded all the leaks up to date.. and .99 reminds me alot like a slight quicker .75.. so far for me .90 was the quickest, with the least vsod's than the previous builds.. but you still have the camera issues..
    For me the most stable and functional build was .76. I had no VSoDs and it was a bit faster than .75. From .83-.90 I had VSoDs and it was kind of embarrasing and annoying to be using you phone and having it lock up on reboots and take that battery out, wait a few minutes as it reloaded, and then possibly have to do the same thing over a few times to get it to NOT lock up. .99 is faster in regards to accelerometer for me, but the typing and random load clocks popping up kills it. I was hoping for .109 this weekend buy oh wells. Sigh.
    02-08-09 10:28 AM
    I still don't think the Storm's hardware is the issue. The issue is the porting of the existing RIM OS to the Storm instead of writing a new one specifically for the touch screen platform. APIs, and calls originally designed for a hardware keyboard and fixed screen were modified to work on the Storm's touch screen hardware and I am sure most of the builds we are seeing are fixes to those things, they are working within the confines of the existing code base and that is far more difficult than writing new code from scratch that does not have to work within the confines of existing code. You change this API, then it breaks or introduces bugs into another. Eventually, you end up with pretty much a new OS, so the end result remains the same, whether you start from scratch or modify existing code, and both take quite a bit of time.

Sure the jesus phone has a dedicated graphics chip and yes that was a really good idea. I'm willing to bet that pretty much all of the next generation of smartphones will move to a dedicated graphics chip as it allows for far better graphics and control of said graphics which is why there are so many cool games and apps available for the iphone and why it appears to have a much smoother UI.

But again the Storm's hardware is up to the task, but the code running on that hardware is far from optimal. I don't think RIM will even be thinking about adding things like flick scrolling or more camera controls any time soon.....
    Last edited by armedtank; 02-08-09 at 12:11 PM.
    02-08-09 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD