The one and only thing I miss on my iPhone was the abundance of applications as well as the $.99 apps. (Awesome apps, some that blow away this $10 crap we have.) I've gotten so frustrated by it that I just enrolled in an online mobile Java course at a local college. Developers... Money comes from volume, not greed. When downloading $.99 apps, it's money I don't have to think twice about. $10 on the other hand, adds up way too fast. Especially for these simple app's.

It's pathetic we don't even have a FREE flashlight app for the Storm yet.
    02-04-09 12:12 AM

LMAO... totally agree with you.
    02-04-09 12:14 AM
    Supply and Demand.

If you can charge 10$ an app and people are forced to pay that much for it because it's the only one of it's kind then there is no point to sell it for less (from a business standpoint).

As more and more apps come out the prices will be forced to drop, or they will have no business.

From a developers point of view though I couldn't see charging more then 2$ for an app, unless it's some hardcore game.

As for the FlashLight app RIM didn't provide developers a method to toggle the flash. The only option we have that is even close to that is we can turn off the flash if the battery is too low. So I wouldn't hold your breath too long for a flash light app.
    02-04-09 12:26 AM
    Give it time...Apps are coming slowly but surely and the app store should be up in March. Because there are not many apps currently designed specifically for the Storm, its easier to justify charging, but as competition grows, you'll see prices decrease.
    02-04-09 12:30 AM
    It kills me that you have to pay for the exact same apps that are free for iphone and ipod touch. That I just dont understand.
    02-04-09 12:36 AM
    It kills me that you have to pay for the exact same apps that are free for iphone and ipod touch. That I just dont understand.
    What's the point of creating apps if the developer isn't going to make money off of it?

I personally don't see the motivation to spend hours upon hours coding apps for users and then not making any money for it.

Imagine going to get your car worked on and after 10 hours of working on the car you're like "Man all that work should have been free".

It just doesn't make sense to me. I mean what's 1-2$ for a decent app anyways.
    02-04-09 12:57 AM
    Supply and Demand.

If you can charge 10$ an app and people are forced to pay that much for it because it's the only one of it's kind then there is no point to sell it for less (from a business standpoint)...
    You are correct. We just have to wait for the March launch of the BB Application Store. It's then will we see a crazy amount of apps hitting the wild.
    02-04-09 01:25 AM
    I'll sell you Quickpull, Orb, and Weatherbug for $0.99 each all day long.

Seriously... Just WAIT for the App Store to open before you complain about prices! Right now we are in the equivalent of the "wild west" when it comes to apps. Some will charge far more than what the app is worth (EA Games, anyone?) and others will give you a free taste of the "gold" to entrench you as a loyal future customer.

Once the market stabilizes I can see complaining...until then, expect to see more incompatible and/or useless apps at prices like $14.99 and more awesome apps like QuickLaunch going for only a third that price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 01:27 AM
    Good Lord! The phone has only been out for about 9 weeks!!! How many free apps were out for the iphone at 9 weeks??? Give it some time people!
    02-04-09 01:51 AM
    I can totally agree man. I just wrote a long *** thread on the same subject before even reading this.

I couldn't agree more. Why don't these developers drop dollar apps and have 5000 people download them than charge 5 and have a couple hundred. its absolutely silly to me.
    02-04-09 03:48 AM
    I'll sell you Quickpull, Orb, and Weatherbug for $0.99 each all day long.

Seriously... Just WAIT for the App Store to open before you complain about prices! Right now we are in the equivalent of the "wild west" when it comes to apps. Some will charge far more than what the app is worth (EA Games, anyone?) and others will give you a free taste of the "gold" to entrench you as a loyal future customer.

Once the market stabilizes I can see complaining...until then, expect to see more incompatible and/or useless apps at prices like $14.99 and more awesome apps like QuickLaunch going for only a third that price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This man speaks the truth.....It is the first phone of it's kind, you cannot expect decent, affordable apps to be available this early especially since the official application store hasn't opened yet
    02-04-09 08:16 AM
    I don't think the abundance of apps is in question here. I agree that we will all have to wait until March for the appstore to open and a few months longer to actually start seeing loads of apps.

I totally agree with him on the pricing model though. You can't expect people to pay more than a few bucks for an app. I agree developers need to be paid for the hours spent coding, but where do we draw the line between greed and reasonableness? If you create an app do you really expect millions of dollars for it? A $10 app sold to 1 mill users for example. Pricing them at $1-2 allows more users to purchase the app and you're still raking in $1-2 mill, just as an example. Imagine an app store with over 100 apps each at $10. You'll pay $500 to have 50 apps on your phone, 2.5x what I paid for my storm.

Hopefully prices stay low once there is a lot of competition between developers.
    02-04-09 08:24 AM
    How is it pathetic? How long did people using the iPhone have to wait before a free flashlight app was released? A year? More?
    02-04-09 10:10 AM
    How is it pathetic? How long did people using the iPhone have to wait before a free flashlight app was released? A year? More?
    There was one in weeks of it's launch. I know because I had it. Of course there wasn't any led's to use, but making the screen white and bright worked.

At least we have a real flash. The led on the front of the phone and the back are both EXTREMELY bright. I know programs can access the one on the front, there is already an app that does that. (One you can tell the developer did not spend much time on and is trying to charge $4.)
    02-04-09 09:37 PM
    Some of the available apps are good, but some I don't even want to try based on the price. Its ridiculous. Lets hope the App Store has the majority reasonably priced
    02-04-09 09:40 PM
    Just don't buy the outrageousliy priced apps. That's the best thing, we as consumers, can do to tell the developers we're unhappy.
    02-04-09 09:56 PM
    i feel you guys on this even though my G1 apps arent all that like my ipod touch atlease there was lots of them and i know once the paid apps hit the G1 market it will be sweet i hate the apps that are currently for my bb
    02-04-09 09:59 PM
    Supply and Demand.

If you can charge 10$ an app and people are forced to pay that much for it because it's the only one of it's kind then there is no point to sell it for less (from a business standpoint).

As more and more apps come out the prices will be forced to drop, or they will have no business.

From a developers point of view though I couldn't see charging more then 2$ for an app, unless it's some hardcore game.

As for the FlashLight app RIM didn't provide developers a method to toggle the flash. The only option we have that is even close to that is we can turn off the flash if the battery is too low. So I wouldn't hold your breath too long for a flash light app.

I have been making a list of companies that I consider to be rip-offs (like $7.00 for an icon launcher). And when the App store is launched and they start experiencing more competition, I will not buy anything from them. So while they might be making a few bucks now, I think it will hurt them in the long run.
    02-04-09 10:22 PM
    I have been making a list of companies that I consider to be rip-offs (like $7.00 for an icon launcher). And when the App store is launched and they start experiencing more competition, I will not buy anything from them. So while they might be making a few bucks now, I think it will hurt them in the long run.
    That's what I was going to say too, remember who is trying to rip you off now. Then when they create new items just avoid them.
    02-04-09 10:28 PM
    Wow ... do you really think when (and if) the App Store materializes, that Apps are just going to be there?
    And then again, I wouldn't be holding my breath for 99 cent apps. I know I wouldn't write applications for that cheap. If I want an app for my Storm and there is an app for it, then I buy it. Price is secondary, need is first.
    02-04-09 10:38 PM

Put your Video Camera in an easy place to select it, heck set it as a convenience key. Open your video camera, press the BB button, select options and switch video light to On.

Free flashlight.
    02-04-09 11:35 PM
    Put your Video Camera in an easy place to select it, heck set it as a convenience key. Open your video camera, press the BB button, select options and switch video light to On.

Free flashlight.
    Easier than that. Leave your convenience key set for camera and hold the button half way down. If it's dark, the light will come on.
    02-05-09 08:29 AM
    It's all about greed. Go for volume, not the "make a killing price".
    02-05-09 08:54 AM
    It's all about greed. Go for volume, not the "make a killing price".
    This nation has thrived on Capitalism for some time now...
    02-05-09 10:30 AM
    Wow ... do you really think when (and if) the App Store materializes, that Apps are just going to be there?
    And then again, I wouldn't be holding my breath for 99 cent apps. I know I wouldn't write applications for that cheap. If I want an app for my Storm and there is an app for it, then I buy it. Price is secondary, need is first.
    I would say the opposite....Price is first, need is secondary. At least that's the way it is for those of use with budgets
    02-05-09 11:13 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD