I've had my Storm 2 since day 1 - it's improved a lot, but it can't even come close to the Verizon iPhone that I've had for less than a week now.

I was amazed at how easy the transition was - there are a lot of similarities, although I do miss the "Blackberry button" and SureType.

The screen is SO easy to use compared to the 9550 - and the browser is much easier to use, although I think I still like the Opera mini browser, which I haven't tried on the iPhone yet.

The apps seem to be more sophisticated - a function of the OS capabilities and screen resolution. And they also seem to work better. You can't do a "battery pull" on the iPhone - as it's embedded in the phone, but in almost a week now, I've never had to even shut the phone off.

I am keeping my Storm 2 - I know it works in Europe, and although the iPhone is supposed to, I don't know that for sure yet.

The desktop iTunes app is required for backup and syncing to Outlook, music, pictures, etc. It actually syncs properly - something I was never able to do with the Blackberry desktop app.

But I could never go back now.

bert
    Last edited by bertsirkin; 02-11-11 at 10:47 AM.
    02-11-11 10:41 AM
    Traitor!!!! LOL, nah we're happy for you. Not really but yeah. LOL!!!
    02-11-11 12:02 PM
    Congrats, i think you are 1 of the many that have jumped on the new VZW iPhone. It is a great phone even though i would never get one lol
    02-11-11 12:11 PM
    Congrats, i think you are 1 of the many that have jumped on the new VZW iPhone. It is a great phone even though i would never get one lol
    I must admit that I've always been a closet-Apple hater - well, it's always been more of an "Apple-user" hater. They just have such a bad attitude. And, seeing the "Apple" logo on the back does raise the hairs on the back of my neck. But, it is a great phone. I just need a way to cover up the logo

As for being a traitor - I kind of felt that way until I started to use the iPhone - then I felt more like a masochist for having to put up with the Storm's idiosyncrasies!

bert
    02-11-11 01:05 PM
    If it works for you then that's awesome. The iPhone 4 is a great device. Unfortunately it won't work for me as a primary device. I have to have a phone with a replaceable/expabdable battery, for instance. Not a want, a need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-11 04:48 PM
    Removable Battery is a key thing for me, as are the widgets I use on Android - I'm spoiled by them.
    02-11-11 05:37 PM
    If it works for you then that's awesome. The iPhone 4 is a great device. Unfortunately it won't work for me as a primary device. I have to have a phone with a replaceable/expabdable battery, for instance. Not a want, a need.

That was a shocker to me - no replaceable battery - and that is an issue. With frequent browser use, but limited phone, I'm getting at least 8 hours battery time. But, there are "battery cases" that combine an external 1500mah battery inside a really slim phone case (mophie juice pack air™ - Verizon iPhone 4 rechargeable backup battery case). The external battery automatically charges the internal battery when it gets down to a low level - I have it on order!

So, at least there's something "close" to a replaceable battery.

bert
    02-11-11 07:26 PM
    I've had my Storm 2 since day 1 - it's improved a lot, but it can't even come close to the Verizon iPhone that I've had for less than a week now.

I was amazed at how easy the transition was - there are a lot of similarities, although I do miss the "Blackberry button" and SureType.

The screen is SO easy to use compared to the 9550 - and the browser is much easier to use, although I think I still like the Opera mini browser, which I haven't tried on the iPhone yet.

The apps seem to be more sophisticated - a function of the OS capabilities and screen resolution. And they also seem to work better. You can't do a "battery pull" on the iPhone - as it's embedded in the phone, but in almost a week now, I've never had to even shut the phone off.

I am keeping my Storm 2 - I know it works in Europe, and although the iPhone is supposed to, I don't know that for sure yet.

The desktop iTunes app is required for backup and syncing to Outlook, music, pictures, etc. It actually syncs properly - something I was never able to do with the Blackberry desktop app.

bert
    Hang on to that 9550 if you want service in Europe. The Verizon iPhone is CDMA only so it won't work in Europe.

02-11-11 07:35 PM
    Hang on to that 9550 if you want service in Europe. The Verizon iPhone is CDMA only so it won't work in Europe.

Verizon's FAQ fooled me into thinking I could use the iPhone in Europe:
    "you can use iPhone 4 for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries"

Unfortunately, the only European country that's CDMA is the Ukraine, so, yes, I will keep the 9550!

bert
    02-11-11 10:33 PM
    Congrats on the phone. Iphone is nice but I'm waiting for the s3.

02-11-11 10:35 PM
    That was a shocker to me - no replaceable battery - and that is an issue. With frequent browser use, but limited phone, I'm getting at least 8 hours battery time. But, there are "battery cases" that combine an external 1500mah battery inside a really slim phone case (mophie juice pack air� - Verizon iPhone 4 rechargeable backup battery case). The external battery automatically charges the internal battery when it gets down to a low level - I have it on order!

So, at least there's something "close" to a replaceable battery.

bert
    We have 5 iPods and an iPhone 3G and an external battery pack doodad to go with them. It definitely "works," just not ideal for me. I'm pretty hard on batteries. I have the Seidio 2600 in my Storm and on some days I've killed it by early afternoon.

Will be replacing the 3G with a new VZW iPhone, but waiting to see if there will be a CDMA/GSM model come June. Not sure what I'm going to replace the Storm2 with yet. I'm watching the 4G Android phones and the upcoming BB Monaco. Or who knows, maybe the iPhone 5 will manage to sway me somehow. Honestly though, if we could just get a decent web browser on the Storm2 I would be more than happy to rock it quite awhile longer.
    02-12-11 03:31 AM
    You might check the app store for a different keyboard. (Can you change keyboards on an iphone?)

I too was a fan of suretype. switched to a droid and found SMART Keyboard in the market. It has a reduced keyboard (sure type) and it works just as well if notbetter than the bb version.

02-12-11 08:27 AM
    I'm glad you like it. I have to agree the iPhone is cool. I switched from an8330 curve this week and it's going back after 48 hours. I don't like the way the iPhone handles my mail. I tried their MobileMe push service which was great for speed and the way it synced with my Outlook like Exchange does. The problem was I could not set my domain as the default "reply to" name. I had to change the "reply to" in every out going reply if I used MobileMe. If I didn't change it manually MobileMe would use as the default "[email protected]". That's deal breaker for me. I need my email to be fast and correct more than apps. Also the battery life is poor.
    02-12-11 10:06 AM
    I'm glad you like it. I have to agree the iPhone is cool. I switched from an8330 curve this week and it's going back after 48 hours. I don't like the way the iPhone handles my mail. I tried their MobileMe push service which was great for speed and the way it synced with my Outlook like Exchange does. The problem was I could not set my domain as the default "reply to" name. I had to change the "reply to" in every out going reply if I used MobileMe. If I didn't change it manually MobileMe would use as the default "[email protected]". That's deal breaker for me. I need my email to be fast and correct more than apps. Also the battery life is poor.
    How do you set your reply email to show your domain name? I've been wondering if I can actually do this.

02-12-11 08:56 PM
    Why not just setup GMail or Hotmail as an ActiveSync account like Exchange? You get push and flexibility.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-13-11 07:49 AM
    If something were to happen to my phone I would go the iphone route also. I think I would miss the same things you do. Specifically the blackberry button. With all the new berrys coming out this summer/fall, android 4g phones and perhaps a new iphone, I'll hold on a bit longer. My wife decided on a droid pro over the iphone because of the keyboard. I love the browser and widgets, I love the apps for apple, but I hope I love the new berrys more!

02-13-11 11:45 AM
    One thing i don't think i can do without is the bedside mode setting on my blackberry. I use my storm2 as my alarm clock and love the fact that when it's plugged in from 11pm - 8am the phone and bbm's vibrate and everything else is silent. I need to be reachable for phone calls and bbm's . I don't want to be bothered by emails. There is not an app for this for the iPhone. Not yet anyway.
    02-13-11 06:58 PM
    I'm gonna wait for the next VZW iphone. I understand this one isn't even 4g. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it run off the 3g network?

Ugh, I'm just in a fone limbo right now. I like my S2 but it has to be replaced one day. My problem is I'm not in love with anything. I simply couldn't believe the ifone finally came to VZW but to be honest, I'm just not crazy about it. I think I'd miss the familiarity of the BB. There's data issues as well. Is it unlimited? I have to jailbreak it just to customize it?

I'll see what VZW has to offer around June. But I think it will most likely be a robot fone. The "Thunderbolt" seems like the logical successor to the "Storm 2." We'll see...
    02-13-11 08:35 PM
    One thing i don't think i can do without is the bedside mode setting on my blackberry. I use my storm2 as my alarm clock and love the fact that when it's plugged in from 11pm - 8am the phone and bbm's vibrate and everything else is silent. I need to be reachable for phone calls and bbm's . I don't want to be bothered by emails. There is not an app for this for the iPhone. Not yet anyway.
    Hmmm I'm sure Apple has an app for that lol. I use an app called ProfilerPro that sets my phone to silent (or whatever profile I choose) from 12am - 8am. Works great for me. I've never used bedside mode. But if the app exists for BB, I'm sure Apple has one that's probably better and cheaper.
    02-13-11 08:43 PM
    the only app i found for the iphone said you have to "jailbreak" the phone and then you can install the app. i don't want to jailbreak the phone.
    02-13-11 09:59 PM
    I'd like to add that LG Rumor 2 vs. iPhone4 = no contest too. Hope somebody finds this useful.
    02-13-11 10:07 PM
    Yeah seems like you have to jailbreak the iphone to do anything lol.
    02-13-11 10:53 PM

bert
    I totally agree ... I got the Storm I on the day it came out and got the Verizon iPhone 4 the day it came out. Gosh, what a pleasure the iPhone is compared to the Storm.

You mention that you like the Sure Type but IMHO that was the worst thing about it. EVERYTHING is going to touch screen ...the iPad, my car's navigation/phone, etc. screen. (almost) all cell phones, some desktop computers ... I think we're all used to it by now. The Sure Type is the worst thing about the Storm, IMHO.
    02-14-11 12:28 PM
    I totally agree ... I got the Storm I on the day it came out and got the Verizon iPhone 4 the day it came out. Gosh, what a pleasure the iPhone is compared to the Storm.

You mention that you like the Sure Type but IMHO that was the worst thing about it. EVERYTHING is going to touch screen ...the iPad, my car's navigation/phone, etc. screen. (almost) all cell phones, some desktop computers ... I think we're all used to it by now. The Sure Type is the worst thing about the Storm, IMHO.
    Did you really mean "sure type", or did you mean "SurePress"??
    02-14-11 12:34 PM
    Yeah seems like you have to jailbreak the iphone to do anything lol.
    Except if you're into iBooks....oops.
    02-16-11 11:06 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD