I have a 9520 from Vodafone UK and a the bottom of it just beside the microphone it's written "Qualcomm 3G CDMA.

If the 9520 does CDMA what's the point of the 9550?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 03:51 AM
    Hmm, mine doesn't say that on it and I'm on Vodafone. Is this written inside or outside?
    11-19-09 04:16 AM
    On the outside, just at the bottom, beside the microphone hole. Mine's made I Hungary.

11-19-09 04:28 AM
    You're right - it does say that. Obviously need to get my eyes tested !!
    11-19-09 04:35 AM
    9550 basically is for North American CDMA markets while 9520 is GSM based and not CDMA compatible. I am confused why it says qualcomm CDMA on the phone body
    11-19-09 05:20 AM
    9550 basically is for North American CDMA markets while 9520 is GSM based and not CDMA compatible. I am confused why it says qualcomm CDMA on the phone body
    That's weird then why would they make it that way.

11-19-09 05:46 AM
    The storm 1 had that on the casing as well.
    11-19-09 07:10 AM
    mine has it also

and no matter how many times i read up about cdma - gsm - edge etc i am still not sure about it all.
    11-20-09 04:49 AM
    Its just a branding on ALL storms. What it means? I have no idea.

11-20-09 04:54 AM
    can a 9520 do CDMA

someone plz explain this
    11-20-09 05:20 AM
    Weird...Heck, I have a 9550 CDMA phone, and mine doesn't even say CDMA on it.
    11-20-09 06:25 AM
    can a 9520 do CDMA

someone plz explain this
    No...it cannot...hence everyone's confusion at the labeling on the case.
    11-20-09 06:27 AM
    They are both identical hardware wise. Just software radio lock outs determine what radio frequencies they use. The 9520 can run on CDMA just fine if those restrictions were removed.

11-20-09 06:45 AM
    They are both identical hardware wise. Just software radio lock outs determine what radio frequencies they use. The 9520 can run on CDMA just fine if those restrictions were removed.

Isn't the 9520 purely GSM?
    11-20-09 10:37 AM

How does that make sense?
    11-20-09 11:06 AM
    Weird...Heck, I have a 9550 CDMA phone, and mine doesn't even say CDMA on it.
    me too!!!!!!!!! LOL....

The Storm 1 had it, but there's nothing on the Storm2's back saying it.. Or front for that matter...
    11-20-09 02:43 PM
    at the bottom... next to the mic hole... and next to the speaker... it must have it.

Either that or RIM fails.
    11-30-09 11:46 AM
    Mine says 'WiMax and Sonar' as well!

Plus I got a call from someone from 2043 the other day!
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 11-30-09 at 02:36 PM.
    11-30-09 02:29 PM
    The 9520 most likely DOES have CDMA capabilities... It just has a different OS structure to run solely on GSM. I would assume it is the same as the 9550, but instead of having an OS meant for CDMA, it has one meant for GSM. I could be wrong... I also know the service books are different for the 9520.
    11-30-09 05:29 PM

This is NUTS! If the hardware is the same, then the only restraints on using either model on either service is just software-controlled. So, if the software locks prohibiting CDMA use on a 9520 can be unlocked, then both phones are the same--which means that the model numbers are just for software.

So, does anyone know how to remove the CDMA restraints on the 9520?

That being said, I have an unlocked Verizon 9550 that I want to use on US T-Mobile. I don't know if it would be better to use the UK "GSM" OS or the US "CDMA" OS. I don't care if I brick the phone or not--that can always be remedied.

Ideas?
    09-09-10 11:08 PM
    yea my 9550 has it on the bottom too...but the BBs in america are all "Made in Mexico" but ive seen that same branding on my old 8330 it even says 3g on it and i always thought the original curve wasnt a 3g phone
    09-09-10 11:16 PM
    This is NUTS! If the hardware is the same, then the only restraints on using either model on either service is just software-controlled. So, if the software locks prohibiting CDMA use on a 9520 can be unlocked, then both phones are the same--which means that the model numbers are just for software.

So, does anyone know how to remove the CDMA restraints on the 9520?

That being said, I have an unlocked Verizon 9550 that I want to use on US T-Mobile. I don't know if it would be better to use the UK "GSM" OS or the US "CDMA" OS. I don't care if I brick the phone or not--that can always be remedied.

Ideas?
    Both phones are identical hardware wise, just like the 9500/9530 before them. The software that controls the branding differences is what's known as Low Level Software. Think of it like BIOS/Firmware that is needed to control the hardware before OS functionality. The software tools needed to change these things is not available to anyone in the general public sector, so you can't change one to another. Also, the OS from one model won't work on the other because the SFI file is keyed to only upload to a phone that matches its memory identifier for that specific model. This is how DM differentiates between different model BBs and what OS goes on what.

The app side of the OS can be mixed and matched, but you should already know that because that's how Hybrid OSs have come to fruition in the community.

09-10-10 06:08 AM
    Both phones are identical hardware wise, just like the 9500/9530 before them. The software that controls the branding differences is what's known as Low Level Software. Think of it like BIOS/Firmware that is needed to control the hardware before OS functionality. The software tools needed to change these things is not available to anyone in the general public sector, so you can't change one to another. Also, the OS from one model won't work on the other because the SFI file is keyed to only upload to a phone that matches its memory identifier for that specific model. This is how DM differentiates between different model BBs and what OS goes on what.

The app side of the OS can be mixed and matched, but you should already know that because that's how Hybrid OSs have come to fruition in the community.

Well, finally someone has given me the actual lowdown on OSs vs. hardware. Thank you! The thing is, I haven't delved into the subject of hybrid OSs yet. I've just been trying to get my phone off of Verizon and on to T-Mobile. I've been going wacky trying to figure out what's the best thing to load. Can you tell me which OS version, or hybrid, to load on my 9550? I have no fear of tinkering, so don't worry about bricking. Thanks!
    09-11-10 05:08 AM
    Well, finally someone has given me the actual lowdown on OSs vs. hardware. Thank you! The thing is, I haven't delved into the subject of hybrid OSs yet. I've just been trying to get my phone off of Verizon and on to T-Mobile. I've been going wacky trying to figure out what's the best thing to load. Can you tell me which OS version, or hybrid, to load on my 9550? I have no fear of tinkering, so don't worry about bricking. Thanks!
    If you're not having any issues with the current OS for it, there's really no reason to change. Other then that, you'll always be stuck with running a 9550 OS version. My opinion on hybrids is documented well in every post.
    09-11-10 10:45 AM
    Ok. I don't suppose it makes any difference whether it's a 9550 or 9520 OS if US T-mobile doesn't do a Storm, anyway. Thanks a bunch!
    09-12-10 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD