Would it have to be a hardware change to turn a 9550 into a hotspot or can it be done through software i.e. an app? A search did not answer this. By hotspot, I'm referring to the 9550 rebroadcasting it's signal to allow another device to connect to it for internet access. Thanks
    05-24-10 11:40 AM
    pretty sure it would have to be a hardware change..... i'd love for RIM to implement this feature in their devices... but i don't see it happening..
    05-24-10 11:46 AM
    Cannot be done. Even at the software level, it's not possible for even developers to make an app that would do so currently. Maybe if RIM opens up some more API's it could be possible, but I hardly see that as being high on their agenda.

They are "carrier friendly" and allowing hotspot enabling is not such a measure
    05-24-10 12:15 PM
    Then Why does Verizon allow it on the Pre ?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-24-10 12:34 PM
    Cannot be done. Even at the software level, it's not possible for even developers to make an app that would do so currently. Maybe if RIM opens up some more API's it could be possible, but I hardly see that as being high on their agenda.

They are "carrier friendly" and allowing hotspot enabling is not such a measure

For sure? My brother rooted his droid and is now able to use it as "Mifi" device. There has to be a way to get it done.
    05-24-10 01:16 PM
    IF you have a netbook, you can connect via a cable (using tether), and then use Connectify on the netbook. I've done it. It works.

Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether

tether has a free trial period, but after that you must buy the app

connectify is FREE.
    05-24-10 01:19 PM
    I have tether...great program... But I'm Referring to multiple connections at the same time. I.e. My partner can get access through my 9550 at the same time as me "wireless" of coarse.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 07:00 PM
    You can connect your BB to a wireless router, then that can broadcast a wireless signal. It's the only way possible at this time. This company makes them.

Extending and Protecting 3G/4G Networks Wirelessly | Cradlepoint Technology
    05-24-10 07:05 PM
    $180.00. wow . not so worth it when one knows its a freebie on other mobile devices... oh well.... No biggie
    05-24-10 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD