I have been seeing people post about how much application memory they were using and kept thinking, why do they care if the device has 1gb internal storage?

Today I decided to go into memory and check mine. Coming from the pearl where the application memory was the same [shared] as device memory; I expected the storm to be the same way.

On the storm I see: Application Memory, Device Memory, and Media Card.

Did RIM partition the internal memory on the storm [or use separate memory storage chip] so that this phone is limited like the pearl to ~64mb of total application storage?

Does the web browser cache to application storage? If I do not use internal memory for anything but installing applications, can I fit close to a GB of applications on the device?

I was told by a rep that the problems with the pearl regarding limited application storage space were fixed in the storm due to its 1gb of internal memory.
    01-22-09 01:05 PM
    You have memory and storage (i.e. -hard drive) space confused...

The memory issues people are posting about is reference to the phone's "RAM" space. Not the ability to store apps. The more apps you have open/running at one time, the lower your application memory will be, making your phone run slower
    01-22-09 01:09 PM
    Thats what I thought, but on the Pearl there was not a different category [that I can remember] for "RAM".

Anyway, thank you for the reply. I was worried for a minute.
    01-22-09 01:22 PM
    You have every right to be worried...the 1gb of storage is basically only for media...everything else (applications, emails, browser cache, etc.) is stored in the "application memory." By far my biggest complaint on the device. I can only have 5 or so third party apps installed at a time, and have to reset once a day to free up RAM...I really hope they can fix this with a firmware update- especially when the application store comes out...
    01-22-09 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD