I see your on telus...do this:
    If you are NOT on Verizon, delete vendor.xml file. It�s located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    after that it should recognize the update.
    Thanks for everything ........ i am still new to the BlkBerry world and trying to learn as much as possible. Good looking out!
    02-14-09 12:14 AM
    upgraded tonight ...with the help of the posted instructions here..without a hitch. Did not use DM..as one, very helpful, instruction said I could use apploader from the downloaded program...and it was painless. Thanks CB !!
    how did you upgrade without using DM????
    02-14-09 12:14 AM
    I'm not digging battery life so far.

Last night pre-upgrade, I had 4 out of 5 and tonight I'm completely drained with minimal browsing, emails, and a few phone calls.

I'm hoping a full charge goes a little farther.
    02-14-09 12:18 AM
    that is definatly not a problem across the board. I have run both 75 and 99. being a sales rep for VZ my phone is demoing apps and crud all day long. i normally have atleast 4 emails (1 is VZ corperate) Nav, VVM,slacker,viigo, and a browser going at all times. i might pop my battery every 3-6 days just for the heck of it, unless it freezes.
    the only time i get it to freeze really is when it comes up with the corperate lock at random times.. not too often though.
    of course my Omnia freezes at the corperate lock too, so it may just be something with VZW mail...

with heavy use i charge it nightly.. and by heavy, you can see what i run 24/7 + a few hundred texts on top, but i normally have a quarter (give or take) battery at recharge.
    light use like right now im on vacation, it just broke 1/3 / 1/2 life used after 48 hrs.
    just for reference, i havent upgraded to .103 yet, been buzzing the boards to see if its worth it. It doesnt seem like it would be.

Hi all,

I am new in the posting department but i've been reading you guys/gals since i got my storm back in November of 08. First of all thank you for all your good advice and comments that have helped me a lot over the passed months.

I have but one HUGE gripe with the storm and that's *** MEMORY LEAK ***. I religiously read through many of your comments every time there is an upgrade leak out on crackberry.com and compare them with my own experience but there's one thing that keeps bothering me that i don't hear much about. People complain about keyboard lag, accelerometer slow, having to reboot, some app or another not working as it should, etc. etc. but wouldn't you say that all these are just symptoms of a yet greater evil here in the form of a nagging memory leak? I started monitoring memory diligently since .90 and even though there are much improvements and changes from one upgrade to the next the one big thing that concerns me the most and that is not being addressed is memory management to avoid memory leaks.

I for one believe that many of our problems will simply vannish should the memory leak gets fixed. At first i thought the memory leak was coming from one or more of the 3rd party apps that i had installed on my storm but after stripping the phone down to the basics i could still notice memory leaks.

Has anybody on this post EVER been able to use their storm (with any upgrade version) for a continuous period of time of more than say 36 hours straight? With .90 i needed frequent reboot because on top of the memory leaks the OS was just not very stable. However, with .99 i could use the phone for 24 to 30 hrs straight before i would need a battery pull. I installed .103 last night and i was thrilled this morning to find out that memory consumption was negligible overnight. But the thrill was short-lived as the day progressed and the amount of free memory started to go down. Right now i'm at 5.3MB and i started with 27MB last night. So i'm guessing that within the next few hours i'd need a battery pull (Oh! and BTW i always keep the number of apps running in the background to a minimum.)

Anyway my point being that i strongly believe that if RIMM manages to fix the memory leak issue that most of our problems will go away and that would probably then be a major upgrade (4.8.0.0 maybe). The storm will then finally be a real force to reckon with on the market.
    Last edited by remixfa; 02-14-09 at 12:44 AM.
    02-14-09 12:41 AM
    do i have to revert before i go in for a replacement?

or can i just walk in there with .103 loaded

i ask because i'm right by the store now and really dont want to have to go home first
    While I don't think it matters technically, since it is indeed a hardware problem, It's probably a good idea to put the official OS back on before you go in. That way they can't hassle you about it.

Every phone I have had that had modded software going back to my first Razr I always put back the stock firmware/OS before showing up for service. Just less of a headache.
    02-14-09 12:52 AM
    I'm new to Blackberry and not a technical type; but I would love to try the latest version for my Storm (knowing I could turn it into a brick) if someone is willing to help a first timer. Can someone tell me where I can buy it and download it; other than Megaupload which I have had zero luck at figuring out how to download the software they aparently have; even after registering. Thank you
    02-14-09 01:05 AM
    opinions must be different device by device. My battery life has been great so far, and memory leak has not been bad at all. I went from .75 and memory was at like 25-30, now I'm pretty much always above 40. And my battery lasts me all day under heavy use. I do use the 1600 though but I don't feel it drains it more than .75 does.
    02-14-09 01:06 AM
    I'm new to Blackberry and not a technical type; but I would love to try the latest version for my Storm (knowing I could turn it into a brick) if someone is willing to help a first timer. Can someone tell me where I can buy it and download it; other than Megaupload which I have had zero luck at figuring out how to download the software they aparently have; even after registering. Thank you
    No offense, but if you can't figure out MegaUpload- you probably shouldn't be attempting any of this. You don't need to download (or register) any software from MegaUpload, except the file you intended to download.
    02-14-09 01:15 AM
    Ok some I have heard loved this OS, it was good at first for me until it would give me some error but before I could read what sort of error it was the phone would reboot! Then I got a BETA 4.7 Plazmic and made some cool themes but as I would load them through the app loader it would try to reinstall the OS core systems again! Then it ate up all my device memory and I am downgrading back to .99 as we speak. I always have to have the latest and greatest. This is the first OS that didn't work for me out of 6 � 's over the years. Pretty good odds and thanks crackberry'ers for the info and leaked beta stuff!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 01:27 AM
    Hey man I understand being the new guy on here cuz that was me. The people on her know what they are doing and I have learned a lot. They just aren't the teaching type, so if you need help hit me up.

Pin# 31B6AF6D

02-14-09 01:34 AM
    Ideally you should watch someone else do it for you. You don't have to be a RIM technician to install a new OS but if you can't navigate MegaUpload, you've got no business monkeying about with firmware.
    Now go on and do it anyway, and tell us all to suck it. We all had a first time, and I know mine scared me sh*tless.

02-14-09 01:56 AM
    Bring it on!!!!
    02-14-09 02:28 AM
    I have a quick question I like to when I press the green phone button for the phone to go to previous calls I select that menu from the general menu but it still goes to the phone book not always but sometime it pisses me off anyone else have this problem?? Also when u try to call from recent calls (Just hit the green phone button twice) sometimes it goes to the phone book then you click on recent calls again and hit the green button and it calls never seen anyone write about this but does anyone have the same problem???
    02-14-09 06:07 AM
    Does anyone have a problem with the caller id? I loaded 103 and when i get a call, i have no idea who it is. it show a blank screen.

Also there is a bad memory leak. i see that someone posted that these new themes may cause a leak. is that true? I have a dark night theme and was wondering if this could cause more of a leak? Thanks
    02-14-09 06:37 AM
    i have had 103 since yesterday morning and i think its more stable that .75 atleast for me. I am on hour 20 right now with 60% battery and i must have sent about 50 texts listened to about 5 songs watched one episode of house and made two phone calls totaling 30 mins. If anything the batter is way better for me now than in .75
    02-14-09 07:18 AM
    So far the only thing I've run across is Slacker had no volume. I deleted it and reinstalled OTA and it's back to full volume.

Order of things I did in the 103 upgrade.

Backed up via DM.
    Loaded OS via loader with backup option enabled.
    After final restart I powered off and pulled the battery.

Battery life seems fine so far.
    02-14-09 08:25 AM
    Adding to my previous post; the portrait full keyboard is very functional, but doesn't give you a lot of confidence initially. Although the keys seem way too small, the auto-correction is nearly flawless for QWERTY.
    02-14-09 08:34 AM
    I was running .103 for a couple days and it worked great. The one major flaw I noticed was how it tended to lock up on me whenever I would be running several apps and then put it in my holster. Every time it did that, it required a battery pull.

I switched back to .99. I sacrificed that little speed boost from .103 for a more stable os.
    02-14-09 08:51 AM
    I took the leap from .75 to .103 today. First let me thank all of those who posted instructions on how to do this particularly Don Nguyen.

I think I'll post about what I haven't discovered.

First, it didn't lose my music and it plays just fine.

Battery doesn't seem to be any difference either faster or slower.

Now that gets to the memory. This may indeed be a problem as I see after a battery pull and hiding folders it only went to 38mb, before it was 40 and after about 2 hours it's dropped to 31.8mb. To me that seems like a good leak, however since I'm new I'll reserve judgement.

Web browsing is definitely faster. Of course I like the full keyboard in portrait, that's 2 huge pluses.

Stability tbd. Heck I don't have much stability myself.

I can't tell you how nervous I was to do this. I will advise Mac owners not to try and use VM for this, as even connecting to VM seems unstable. I used a PC. I use Parallels on my Mac.

I think the keyboard is faster and the buttons seem more responsive, and I haven't even set them up yet per the advise in this forum (or blackberry forum).

So all in all so far so good.
    02-14-09 09:16 AM
    Anyone had issues with 103 freezing upon unlock?

I've had this with all os thus far...
    Well, I can't get it to unlock for a while many times. However, I wouldn't describe mine as freezing - although just as annoying ...
    Last edited by dsignori; 02-14-09 at 09:39 AM.
    02-14-09 09:18 AM
    Well, I can't get it to unfreeze really, but I wouldn't describe mine as freezing - although just as annoying ...
    I just locked mine and it appears that the message saying it's locked is gone. Other then that I don't see any "freezing."

Oh I forgot to mention camera, as has been mentioned by many people, greatly improved.
    02-14-09 09:27 AM

I can't tell you how nervous I was to do this. I will advise Mac owners not to try and use VM for this, as even connecting to VM seems unstable. I used a PC. I use Parallels on my Mac.
    Hello I'm new to these forums, just wanted to mention I used VMware Fusion for this install from .99 to .103 had no issues. I installed without wiping the device and the install went flawless, lost no apps 3rd party or OS.

Only issue is I seem to have horrible battery life with both .99 and .103 any suggestions?
    02-14-09 09:40 AM
    Have you every tried doing a search for this?

It is a well known issue that you need to Clear the Browser Data Cache in the DM under Advanced in the Backup area. Then after it is clear go back and do backup and it should work.

That is how it was on .75 and is that way still on .103.

If I do that it backs up fine.
    Thanks for the tip. I was having the same issue. This fixed it!!!
    02-14-09 09:40 AM
    I upgraded from .75 to .103 and haven't been impressed with it at all.

• Very long boot times.
    • Every time I turn on the phone it asks if I was to use GSM or not.
    • Going from landscape to portrait is slower.
    • Speaker phone isn't auto enabled when playing video's, I have to activate the speakerphone - never had to in .75
    • For fun I download iBee farting program, it doesn't play sound unless I have my headphones plugged in... I think it is related to the point above.
    • Camera does seem much faster, however I don't use the camera so it's no big deal to me.

Overall I'm not impressed with it. Either I did something wrong during the upgrade or this version doesn't play well with my verizon Storm.
    02-14-09 10:11 AM
    I upgraded from .75 to .103 and haven't been impressed with it at all.

• Very long boot times.
    • Every time I turn on the phone it asks if I was to use GSM or not.
    • Going from landscape to portrait is slower.
    • Speaker phone isn't auto enabled when playing video's, I have to activate the speakerphone - never had to in .75
    • For fun I download iBee farting program, it doesn't play sound unless I have my headphones plugged in... I think it is related to the point above.
    • Camera does seem much faster, however I don't use the camera so it's no big deal to me.

Overall I'm not impressed with it. Either I did something wrong during the upgrade or this version doesn't play well with my verizon Storm.
    I couldn't disagree more. Boots just fine, flipping from landscape to portait is faster. Don't know why you are saying all this.

Oh, and the reason you don't hear the sound may be you have the mute on.
    Last edited by hookbill; 02-14-09 at 10:29 AM.
    02-14-09 10:27 AM
1,576 ... 4849505152 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD