So we can now delete from options> advanced> applications list now, THATS AWESOME! I just deleted the talk lock and the phone calls are smooth as butter!!
    02-13-09 05:24 PM
    ok its downloading a 4.7 core app is that it.
    Im sorry - but if you do not know how to install a simple application or OS update to your computer, I dont think you should be messing with the OS on your phone. If you "brick" it, and have no one to help you, youll be SOL.

That is just my advice - in no way am I trying to be a d1ck.
    02-13-09 05:25 PM
    i did it with .99 but i went back to .75 but i dont remember how i did it.
    02-13-09 05:28 PM
    Generally speaking, .85 > .99 > .103 have been very similar for me.

Battery life got worse then better, but other than that, it's been par for the course....
    02-13-09 05:28 PM
    I loaded .103 up on Wedneday evening. Did a wipe with JL_Cmder, loading it using AppLoader without using DM, verified OS was stable and all functions worked, then restored all data from backups via DM, then did a battery pull to make sure everything was "normal". Since then I've not had a single reboot/freeze or battery pull, with +168995 seconds (~47 hours) going strong. I initially had +40MB free, and it's sitting at around ~22MB now which is usually more then I generally have. Allthough, as this *is* Java, it is very subjective. I've had my storm <10MB and still be quite responsive without losing any data or performance loss in previous releases.

Prior to .103 I fairly regularly had todo a battery pull every 8-24h. I'd definitely say that stability came into play with .99, but even then I was still doing battery pulls once every 16~36 hours. So far, .103 has been rock solid for me, loving it.

Having used almost every single beta release since picking up my Storm on Dec 10th, the only two glaring issues that I have with .103 right now, are as others have mentioned, the lower gradient/texture/colour dept in recent firmware, although that does not bother me that much, just an observation. Otherwise the only other feature I wish they'd add back is Bluetooth audio for videos, but again not something I need, would just be really nice to have now that the bus strike is over here in Ottawa and I might get a chance to catch up on some shows instead of bumming rides off everyone like I have been for the past 2 and a half months =P

I will mention that I haven't bothered to load up ANY custom applications other then what came with .103 (pretty much all the extra apps available during the install though), so that might be one reason I've seen an increase in stability/uptime.

I don't use the phone as much as I could, usually just 1-3 quick calls a day, usually very short, at most 15 minutes. I primarily use it to keep track of all my various e-mail accounts and quick IM via BBPIN/SMS to a few family and friends and website viewing every few hours to stay on top of things. The biggest feature I've been using and abusing is the media features of the phone.

My job can be quite tedious, especially after being re-assigned to a different division 3 weeks ago, a fairly solitary position right now, so I tend to listen to music or audio books all day long, anywhere from 4-8 hours a day, sometimes non-stop. Using a Logitech FreePulse Wireless headphones via Bluetooth. (Which tends to get about ~7h usage before it's batteries die!) I haven't touched my ipod in 3 months now, thanks to my BB Storm. No need to carry another device around if I stay on top of my SD card usage. Can't wait for the bigger 32GB MicroSD to come out later this year!)

Up untill .99, I was getting absolutly terrible uptime/freezes/having to battery pull almost constantly (or so it felt) not to mention the battery was abyssal, to the point where I started to carry my wall charger with me at all times, in case I was stuck somewhere for longer then 6 hours at a time. However with .99 and especially .103 it seems that has completly changed, and I can leave in the morning at 6AM and get back home at 4PM and still be at 50~60% usage, even after technically 'using' one or more of the phones various features for at least 3/4 of my time unplugged. Very impressive changes, IMO-this is how it should be.

It seems a lot of people are having bad battery usage out of .103.. I kinda feel weird given I've had the exact opposite. I guess I'll have a better idea in another few days, just to be sure. And Yes, I've fully charged to %100 with .103 and took it out of the dock and into a leather holster, woke up the following morning and still had it at 95% so it's not bleeding ridiculous amounts of battery when 'idle' like some have reported.

I'm half tempted to load up some third party apps and see if things change or just continue to use it like so and see how time treats it. We'll see, depends on how bored I get ;-)

Hope this was helpful. Really impressed with .99 and .103. Starting to feel stable and solid, close to release quality with a bit more tweaks, IMO!
    Last edited by highos; 02-13-09 at 05:36 PM.
    02-13-09 05:29 PM
    I went from .75 to .103 today and will share my findings.
    1. Backed up phone with DM - no problem
    2. Downloaded .103 - no problem
    3. Ran .103 setup - All kinds of issues with my Vista PC at home
    4. Went to work and repeated steps 1 and 2 - no problem
    5. Wiped phone using BB option
    5. Installed .103 on Windows XP Pro & DM per instructions - no problem
    6. Activated BES - it took about six tries before Enterprise Activation started
    7. Synced and restored needed files - no problem
    02-13-09 05:32 PM
    is anyone else having problems with vista.
    02-13-09 05:34 PM
    is anyone else having problems with vista.
    Vista x86 or 64bit? I have x86 and works fine...

I know Windows 7 doesnt work too well with DM.
    02-13-09 05:36 PM
    ok i guess i cant dl the new software. it wont let me do it. its not on the update page
    02-13-09 05:41 PM
    my favorite part of .103 is that it doesn't arbitrarily reboot on me. Each time i would shut or slam my car door, the storm freaked out and rebooted itself... pretty psycho.. new OS fixed that though!!!
    02-13-09 05:42 PM
    I've tried 3 times to DL. It keeps giving me an error and won't let me DL!! I'm running Vista. I guess, we're going to have to wait for a new file???? Any suggestions?
    02-13-09 05:44 PM
    Vista x86 or 64bit? I have x86 and works fine...

I know Windows 7 doesnt work too well with DM.
    I have vista 64 home prem worked just fine

when I first installed it though i lost my Browser and Application Center icons. (A couple of others but i don't know what they were just missing spots )

i did a *228 and they came back in case anyone else is having the issue.

I also love the full keyboard in portrait mode and it seems a lot quicker scrolling through menus and flipping between portrait and landscape.

and i don't know if this is a feature or not but sometimes i lock it before i put it in my case (with a magnet) and it becomes unlocked when i remove it which is kind of cool.
    02-13-09 05:46 PM
    Installation did not automatically install the automatic backup made during the .103 upgrade. I did it manually and it worked fine.

The Browser icon took about 10 minutes to show up but the browser is MUCH faster.

Phone still locks up when Memory Cleaning is on and I receive a BBM. First message is OK, second one locks it. Phone is holstered in a BB holster when not in use.

I'm going to try with Memory Cleaning turned off now.
    02-13-09 05:46 PM
    I've tried 3 times to DL. It keeps giving me an error and won't let me DL!! I'm running Vista. I guess, we're going to have to wait for a new file???? Any suggestions?
    whats the error?
    02-13-09 05:47 PM
    can anyone foward a text with pics or video on 103 i cant for some reason on any beta
    02-13-09 05:49 PM
    Other thoughts/observations continuing from Post #1184.

I see a lot of people complaining about crappy video performance with recent builds. Are you guys only trying out the Babylon AD trailer provided? I admit, if it was bundled with the phone originally, it should display properly, but have you tried anything else?

I can't speak for other providers, but on Telus (or RIM? *shrugs*) they did load the MicroSD card up with sample music and videos, and everything else provided displays just fine without any lag or choppiness. I have a bunch of other videos I've transcoded via Handbreak and loaded up that also have no problems.

Makes me wonder if the encode of Babylon AD is bad, or just that it uses a very specific codec that is having problems in recent builds. Thoughts?
    02-13-09 05:54 PM
    Alright, fully charged and after 8 hours of use, two you tube videos, two albums of songs, downloading 5 themes OTA, downloading and playing with the netflix app, taking pictures, reading and replying to mail, taking calls, and playing with themes and settings I have used a little less than 50% of my battery.

The camera also snaps pictures a **** of a lot faster than .75.
    02-13-09 06:00 PM
    downloaded .103 with no problems....backedupped my stuff afterwards. seems OK. however, i'm reading there should be a full keyboard in portrait, yet mine is the still the condensed version with multiple letters on each key...any thoughts on this?

also, seems no faster than .99 at this point. it has just resulted in moving of my icons.

did just notice that google maps doesn't work. it's stuck in portrait view and the keyboard won't go away (can't be hidden either). tried deleting and reloading google maps and also accessing through poynt. still won't work.
    Last edited by swaintwin; 02-13-09 at 06:29 PM.
    02-13-09 06:06 PM
    I am on 103 now with .90 radio files, I feel that it is overall slower, but the typing is a bit better.

I might have to go back to .99

I will report back on the battery.

Actually keyboard lag might be worse? I am noticing it more as I am typing this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 06:30 PM
    Other thoughts/observations continuing from Post #1184.

I see a lot of people complaining about crappy video performance with recent builds. Are you guys only trying out the Babylon AD trailer provided? I admit, if it was bundled with the phone originally, it should display properly, but have you tried anything else?

I can't speak for other providers, but on Telus (or RIM? *shrugs*) they did load the MicroSD card up with sample music and videos, and everything else provided displays just fine without any lag or choppiness. I have a bunch of other videos I've transcoded via Handbreak and loaded up that also have no problems.

Makes me wonder if the encode of Babylon AD is bad, or just that it uses a very specific codec that is having problems in recent builds. Thoughts?
    I have loaded "I Am Legend" and have it purely to show off as I'm never in one place long enough to actually watch the thing. But I do say show off because it looks great. The only thing I've noticed is if I fast forward the sound is behind the video, if it plays straight through its fine. If you haven't seen the movie it has a lot of fast moving action and the Storm keeps up just fine.
    02-13-09 06:53 PM
    sorry if already posted....has anyone had problems with touching a button to click and move forward? i noticed this when trying to instal vlingo. i had to actually scroll to the optioin that i wanted highlighted
    02-13-09 06:53 PM
    This is my first upgrade so it may have been in other upgrades but the ability to use qwerty keyboard in portrait mode is the best thing by far

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 06:58 PM
    I have loaded "I Am Legend" and have it purely to show off as I'm never in one place long enough to actually watch the thing. But I do say show off because it looks great. The only thing I've noticed is if I fast forward the sound is behind the video, if it plays straight through its fine. If you haven't seen the movie it has a lot of fast moving action and the Storm keeps up just fine.
    I put the SC2 trailer and Dark Knight trailer on. Dark knight runs fine. Starcraft II on the other hand is purely CGI and has minor lag when too much movement on screen (welding sparks and finger movement when he puts on glove). It is a **** lot better than .75 which totally got jerky and slide-show like in those scenes.

As for memory leak, after first day, no memory leaks. Device dropped to 32MB a few times but would clear itself back to 42-44MB when snoozing in my holster or locked and left on the desk. I am much impressed.

No battery issues whatsoever.
    02-13-09 06:59 PM
    ^^Oooh it censored me! Anyway, to add, the SC2 trailer is what I use to judge the video performance of each OS released cuz of the slight lag problem. I hope it will run fluid one day on a sweet OS upgrade.
    02-13-09 07:01 PM
    Anyone had issues with 103 freezing upon unlock?

I've had this with all os thus far...
    02-13-09 07:04 PM
1,576 ... 4647484950 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD