I have been updating my 9550 software and people have been recommending the follow items; could someone please explain to me:

1) Why MULITPLE battery pulls are recommended after updating the OS? I can understand ONE, like rebooting your computer, but what do the subsequent pulls accomplish that the first one cannot?

2) Why would an OS need time to "settle-in?" If it's like a computer program, shouldn't it either work or not work from the beginning?

Thanks, in advance...
    06-05-10 12:44 PM
    Tbh multiple battery pulls are not required cause its more of a piece of mind thing. I only do one battery pull when installing OSs. Also the settle in time is pretty much just a break in period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 01:29 PM
    The people doing multiple batt pulls are the ones that don't let all the quick downloading things happen and they see their phone having to act sluggish until that has finished and pull the batt again. Simply wait 10 minutes at the most. Pull the batt for a half minute and then put it back in. Should be all that is necessary

As for setting in... It sounds stupid and I am sure it is, but I actually think it is true. It was atleast with the S1. It seems that after about a day things would pick up and move faster. With the S2 I don't know if that has been true or not at all. But I still believe in it. For some odd reason.

06-05-10 02:20 PM
    I don't really know why we do that, but it does help. These OS's are extremely complicated pieces of software so it takes the device a few days to get organized. The best thing to do is to experience it for yourself!

06-05-10 02:41 PM
    The people doing multiple batt pulls are the ones that don't let all the quick downloading things happen and they see their phone having to act sluggish until that has finished and pull the batt again. Simply wait 10 minutes at the most. Pull the batt for a half minute and then put it back in. Should be all that is necessary

As for setting in... It sounds stupid and I am sure it is, but I actually think it is true. It was atleast with the S1. It seems that after about a day things would pick up and move faster. With the S2 I don't know if that has been true or not at all. But I still believe in it. For some odd reason.
    Exactly...we seem to do it, but why? I'll pull that darn battery 10 times if it really does anything, I'd just like to know why it is needed. I thought the phones were like a "mini-computer" with a processor, RAM, etc. It seems if the OS or app has downloaded and you do one reboot (battery pull), that should be enough...even if we did it after each new app, I could understand.
    The same with the OS - why does it run differently after a few days? What "settles in?"
    06-05-10 02:46 PM
    I don't really know why we do that, but it does help. These OS's are extremely complicated pieces of software so it takes the device a few days to get organized. The best thing to do is to experience it for yourself!
    I know my OS "changes" after a while - just the "feel" of it...I guess I will never understand why they act that way...just bugs me!
    06-05-10 02:48 PM
    The reason the OS needs to settle is for several reasons first when you install apps only the original cod is installed think of this as kind of a compressed file so upon original install it has not loaded all files for that OS it first needs proper permissions and then after and only after it has that can it properly install which requires a batt pull.
    06-05-10 04:13 PM
    I have been updating my 9550 software and people have been recommending the follow items; could someone please explain to me:

1) Why MULITPLE battery pulls are recommended after updating the OS? I can understand ONE, like rebooting your computer, but what do the subsequent pulls accomplish that the first one cannot?

2) Why would an OS need time to "settle-in?" If it's like a computer program, shouldn't it either work or not work from the beginning?

Thanks, in advance...

I had no issues immediately following the installation of 607. One reboot was all that was needed. It doesn't even make SENSE that a phone needs to be rebooted numerous times to effect some sort of "goodness" from it. Perhaps those that reboot multiple times aren't leaving the battery out long enough on previous reboots? I dunno, but I had no issues following the installation of 607 on two phones.
    06-05-10 04:17 PM
    Just one reboot after install. After that you're just playing with it...loll!
    06-05-10 04:38 PM
    I do a few battery pulls, once after the OS install and once after installing the apps just to free up memory. After that its good to go.

06-05-10 04:48 PM
    I think it is people just going overboard with battery pulls. To be honest, I load up the new OS and once it says it's done, in my mind it's done. I've never done the battery pull thing and I never will. Sometimes shortly after the install I have to do some work on apps and it requires a reset, but I don't sit there after an update and do half a dozen battery pulls.

As far as letting an OS settle in, that's always been an outlandish idea in my mind and therefore haven't put much stock in the idea. However, that is just my opinion.

06-05-10 05:20 PM
    Pulling the battery multiple times helps make the later battery pulls take a lot less time for me.
    06-05-10 06:08 PM

I agree +1
    06-05-10 06:15 PM
    I agree +1
    kinda like mass hysteria?
    06-05-10 06:20 PM
    Just one reboot after install. After that you're just playing with it...loll!
    I got better things to "play with" than that! I wish I could a "battery pull" on this old body...
    06-06-10 09:53 PM
    I think it is people just going overboard with battery pulls. To be honest, I load up the new OS and once it says it's done, in my mind it's done. I've never done the battery pull thing and I never will. Sometimes shortly after the install I have to do some work on apps and it requires a reset, but I don't sit there after an update and do half a dozen battery pulls.

As far as letting an OS settle in, that's always been an outlandish idea in my mind and therefore haven't put much stock in the idea. However, that is just my opinion.

The verdict is still out for me on battery pulls however sometimes I have to to get apps to work properly after a fresh os install. As far settling in, there is no doubt in my mind this is necessary. Especially in the battery drain department. You can't judge an os for several days for this reason. I'll admit I think it is crazy that this is the case but its also crazy that two phones can act differently on the same os. ie .607.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-06-10 10:43 PM
    After I install a new OS, I turn on the signal/wifi and let it download all the necessary resources, takes about 2-4 minutes, so I wait 5 minutes or so. Then set permissions to my liking. After that, physical battery pull. Good to go.
    06-07-10 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD