I figured I would give .90 another shot. The last time I loaded .90 it was really buggy with VSOD and all.. This time with all the recommendations it seems a little smoother with no signs of bugs, but it is still too early to say, it's only day 2 for me with no VSOD and random reboots.. Thanks for the discovery!!!
    01-29-09 01:45 PM
    That is a good lead! Thanks E... and thanks for the link.
    Glad to Be of Assistance!
    01-29-09 01:47 PM
    Two nights ago I let my battery drain down to 20% (yellow) and plugged it in to charge all night. I did not turn it off as I use the alarm to wake-up in the morning.
    That is not enough drain to recondition the battery... it really needs to be run to failure... at least till the radio turns itself off...you can turn it back on once it starts charging but that is not ideal. it is best to leave it off and do a full recharge... I know that is not practical for some of us... I am in the medical field and can NOT leave my phone off that long so I understand... but it does give the best recondition.

all the os upgrades/downgrades and frequent battery pulls really make it necessary to occasionally recondition the battery.
    01-29-09 01:48 PM
    That is not enough drain to recondition the battery... it really needs to be run to failure... at least till the radio turns itself off...you can turn it back on once it starts charging but that is not ideal. it is best to leave it off and do a full recharge... I know that is not practical for some of us... I am in the medical field and can NOT leave my phone off that long so I understand... but it does give the best recondition.

all the os upgrades/downgrades and frequent battery pulls really make it necessary to occasionally recondition the battery.
    Thanks for the info David, maybe this weekend I will give that a shot.
    01-29-09 01:53 PM
    I am starting to see patterns in posts and in my own experience that make me wonder if the os's are having some problems with cumulative errors... you know an error that by itself is well tolerated by the system but eventually builds up till it becomes a "crash level" problem as happens from time to time in computer registrys. these kind of errors tend to cause sluggishness and unpredictable app performance over time. I am going to try erasing the bbthumbs and other frequently refreshed data files (if i can identify any) on occasion and see if that has any effect.

btw I installed Log Maid as someone in another thread suggested and it really does seem to free up app memory by erasing the event log hourly.
    01-29-09 02:14 PM
    I was just starting to think that its been a good day for my Storm. No freezes or RR's. Then, as I was reading this post... shutdown.
    01-29-09 07:34 PM
    the first few days i had .9 it was horrible. tons of lockups, reboots, and the whole screen not dimming issue.

after another install and such there was no change... then for some reason, a couple days later.. i noticed that the stability kept on getting better and better with no changes by how i used the device. now i havent had a random reboot in a couple days and the phone has been running strong
    01-29-09 07:39 PM
    I find it funny that people purchase new technology and expect it to be perfect... Then even funnier when they complain about a beta OS. Stick with .75. It's stable. A lil slow, but good. And within a month it seems we'll have something like some of these beta builds...

It's a whole new concept in phones. it will take time.

If you don't like it go buy a new phone
    01-29-09 07:47 PM
    Excuse me if this was ruled out in prior threads, but has anyone tried using another media card than the one that came with the phone?
    01-29-09 08:00 PM
    I keep reading about wiping your phone what does that mean and how do you do it?
    01-29-09 08:47 PM
    Excuse me if this was ruled out in prior threads, but has anyone tried using another media card than the one that came with the phone?
    I'm using a 16 gig class 2 I got at christmas.

As for the .90 issues. Somedays it's absolutly HORRID, and other days it's fine. I thought of calling in a priest two days ago. 3 Random reboots and two lockups in BBM.

All day yesterday, and almost ALL of today were perfect. Fast and snappy. Then it hung a while ago. Took the USUAL two battery pulls to get it going (stupid VSOD on first boot).

Anyway. I have tons of different music formats, pictures, wallpapers, movies rips, etc. I'd have a hard time believing they were the cause of instability on a "media" device. Especially since I don't load them when I'm working. Also, seeing it REBOOT all of a sudden when it's just sitting there makes me think it's either and app (weather bug?) or a backgound process that's got an unintended "feature" ... ****, for all we know it could be a badly packaged Verizon network message that the phone doesn't handle correctly.

I'm just thinking that since NONE of my media caused any issues in the other versions (no reboots! ever), it's hard to blame the behaviour of music and videos on .90 These music files play on every other device in my house correctly: Classic iPod, iPod touch, windows Media player, and my PS3.

.90 is smoother, and its a step forward, but it definately has some rather weird and random problems .... and I highly doubt its caused by badly formatted MP3s.
    01-29-09 08:49 PM
    I have gone all day without 1 reboot or VSOD. Seems to run very smooth no glitches so far. I think deleting the bbthumbs help somewhat. I'm sure by the time someone figures all the bugs out a new os leak will be out..HAHAHa
    01-29-09 10:04 PM
    i hate to say it, but my experience with .90 was almost exactly the same as the OPs

Day 1: reboots, freezes, VSODs, "Media Card Inserted" freezes, Screen losing sensitivity, and battery running out in about 6 hours from full charge... this happened no matter how many times i pulled the battery, etc.

Day 2: nearly flawless... the only bug i experience now is a freeze once per day or so, and a battery pull always fixes it

The problem is that:
    ******I did absolutely nothing to my phone to make this happen********

I didn't reinstall, clean install, delete 3rd party apps, format my micro SD card... NOTHING

It just worked on the 2nd day.

My professional opinion is that the microscopic magic fairy that makes the storm work (which i believe is a slightly inbred cousin of the fairies they stick into iPhones), needs about a day to get settled after .90 is installed
    01-30-09 10:19 AM
    I am not discounting the magical "then a miracle occurred" factor but having already experienced that with other os's I was not impatient and gave .90 a good 3 day chance with pretty heavy use. After applying the fixes though... my relief was immediate. since then i have been adding all kinds of crap to it to see how it reacts....

this is something i will probably deeply regret if/when the next leak is posted.
    01-30-09 10:25 AM
    Actually its rather funny how my bug came about with .90. I went three and a half days with no problems until last night in my sports law class. I was in the middle of class with my storm on my desk by my notebook when it just randomly started shouting "say a command" I closed the app but it STILL kept saying it until I did a batt pull. Sure enough it got a chuckle out of everyone, and my response was 'hey its a storm'. That enough made me switch back to .75. I cant afford to have something like that happen in a test environment. No more beta's for me.
    01-30-09 10:58 AM
    I am new to the blackberry and it's lingo...just curious what VSOD means? Thanks...
    02-03-09 02:35 PM
    I am new to the blackberry and it's lingo...just curious what VSOD means? Thanks...
    verizon screen of death
    02-03-09 02:55 PM
    Hey I think it's that the fairies just have gas!!!!!!
    02-03-09 10:21 PM
    verizon screen of death
    Thank you, I appreciate it
    02-04-09 07:59 AM
    I have loaded .99 now and seems a little slower but a **** of a lot more stable. I still cleared the bbthumbs like in this thread and have been running strong for 4 days now. I will take stability over speed ... for now
    02-04-09 01:47 PM
    I have loaded .99 now and seems a little slower but a **** of a lot more stable. I still cleared the bbthumbs like in this thread and have been running strong for 4 days now. I will take stability over speed ... for now
    I agree .99 may be slower than .90 but it is certainly a more tollerant build.
    02-08-09 08:44 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD