thanks for your insights, Dave, your upgrade to user and welcome to the crack!
    01-28-09 08:41 AM
    I have seen this posted several times regarding conversion of aac files to mp3. Please remember that converting one type of compressed file (aac) to a different type of compressed file (mp3) by definition will degrade the music. Typically the sound will be somewhat more "mushy" with loss of crispness. This may or may not be bothersome, but I prefer not to have to degrade my music in order to have the media play correctly. I'm still waiting for the media player bug to be fixed in .90. My other small beef is the volume control is too sensitive. I keep switching to the next song when I press volume up, even if I'm not holding the button for more than 1/2 second.
    In theory you are correct but you have to remember you are dealing with different generations of codecs here. if you start with an AAC or MP4 codec there is far less loss than a MP3 file to begin with. When I convert an AAC file to MP3 and then compare the wave forms. I see virtualy no loss. If I run a compare against the wave forms I am up in the 98%+ range, higher if you do a double pass conversion. This does not hold true if you go from a lesser quality audio.

Also for your button issue. try increasing the tap interval. I thought it only affected the front buttons but it seems to work on the media controls as well.
    01-28-09 08:58 AM
    For the first week I had no problems with .90, but it all went downhill from there VSOD, media card issues (whether it was in or out), screen staying on, finally just got pissed and downgraded.
    01-28-09 09:02 AM
    Do you delete the bbthumb files before or after you update the OS?
    Just to be safe I did both. But actually I think you only really need to do it after the update. If you do it before and the machine polls or scans it is likely to just rewrite them. After deleting them (POST upgrade) it is a good idea to do a battery pull.
    01-28-09 09:14 AM
    I never had the sim card in. Always had phone on ev1, don't use 3rd party aps, not even BB aps like BB maps, no vz nav, no vz vm, no games, no gps on, all music is drm free MP3 put on media card after device format. .90 causwes resets 3-4 times a day and vsods with at least one of those resets a day, yesterday w/o the media card in it vsod 3X in a row.

Do you still have album art when you drag and drop?

Other than dragging and dropping and deleting all bbthumbs, I actualy did all the above as a matter of course.

But if I need to do all this just to use an OS stabily - I will just switch to another OS. It shouldn't be a process to upgrade to a stable OS. Its a leak and some leaks will just be unstable on some devices. Soon I believe there will be a Stable OS for virtually all devices, and it will not require all this. Remeber most Sttorm users have never even heard of Crackberry, let alone ever installed their own OS. The official OS has to work flawlessly for them without any of this.
    01-28-09 09:50 AM
    Soon I believe there will be a Stable OS for virtually all devices, and it will not require all this. Remeber most Sttorm users have never even heard of Crackberry, let alone ever installed their own OS. The official OS has to work flawlessly for them without any of this.
    Definately. An official OS must demonstrate backwards compatibility with previous versions AND must tolerate user diversity. My point was that the errors basically came in two categories and had much much more to do with user diversity than anything else. When the error reports first started appearing... hours after .90's leak, it appeared overwhelmingly random. The great news about finding the fixes and workarounds we have is that they make it pretty clear that the code can be refined and there is good reason to hope for a stable/tolerant and sexy OS in the relatively near future.

and no you do not get the album art when you drag and drop unless you do it yourself... hey... that might be a part of the problem now that i think about it.
    Last edited by DavidDBlackwell; 01-28-09 at 10:03 AM.
    01-28-09 09:59 AM
    Pulled out media card to see how day would go. And Storm froze 10 minutes later (white screen with error).

.90 is just buggy on my device. Hopefully th e next leak will work better with my Storm.
    01-28-09 11:09 AM
    After reading the first few posts on this thread I figured I would give it a shot because I have always used "plain old mp3's" for all of my devices. (I dont use an Ipod or Itunes) So I went ahead and removed all previous betas and blackberry related software from my computer. (Using Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel) Then I went ahead and wiped with JL then reinstalled .90 after I removed all the bbthumb files. Wow I really have noticed an improvement. I am on my second day with no batt pulls and the only problem that remained was the lack of notification of new texts on the full menu. That was easily fixed by going into the settings, setting the notifications on again and saving again. This phone is working great and 7 hrs later I have 70% battery life left. If this is the sign of new firmware updates to come I really am looking forward to the next few batches. A major leap forward.
    01-28-09 12:50 PM
    ok so ii had agreed with some of the other fellow people on cb that the .90 beta was the best!

i mean, it IS but there are some bugs that are still there.
    for example, the good thing is that the camera works super fast for me. the accelerator has picked up.

THE CONS:

-the phone dies quickly
    -the unlock button doesnt sometime work.
    -freezes more
    -when you click on either the menu button or back button it goes to the shortcut to all yoru apps that you have open.
    -sometimes camera wont take the picture even if you click the button.

other than that its been good to me.

but i thik i have to exchange it asap because the battery gets real hot and dies withiin 4 hrs of a fullly charged battery. and it still continues to freeze ugh. oh well we'll see. the battery killed me like this whole week.

-_-
    01-28-09 12:55 PM
    I pulled media and sim card.. downgraded to .75.. then back to .90. So far in 1 day... 0 crashes. Seems good But it still does NOT save voice recorder files. So Verizon will NEVER use .90, as there is a component that doesn't work.
    01-28-09 01:06 PM
    you know it is funny..... just about the time we get this build running well for most people.... .95 will leak and the rules will change all over again.
    01-28-09 02:31 PM
    I was able to delete the bbthumbs from the media card, but it won't allow me to delete them from the device itself. Any idea on how I can accomplish this?
    01-28-09 04:42 PM
    Use JL CMDR to wipe the phone
    01-28-09 06:21 PM
    I did find that once I removed BB Messenger, things sped up greatly, and I had less issues with freezing.

I would suggest taking off the programs you can do without and see what happens as you add them back in. For me, BB Messenger was a big culprit.

I do still get the random reboots on occasion, but the OS is far better / more responsive that its predecessors. I too can't wait to give .95 a roll if it shows up to the party. Right now, despite the reboots, my Storm is FINALLY very usable. IMHO.
    01-28-09 06:27 PM
    Guys, this is far too much effort for a job, let alone a phone. The entire experience with the storm has sucked. RIMM and Verizon should be embarrassed about this. There is NO reason for so many problems and stress.
    .90 has been the same as every other OS leaked or official, CRAP.
    Random reboots, missing music, constant batt pulls. Im spending more time trying to get my phone to work right, than I am trying to get my woman to work right. Maybe it's me that should be embarrassed.
    01-28-09 07:54 PM
    That is the problem, for some reason the coding will work on one phone and not another. I guess that is what they are trying to figure out... I am still on zero battery pulls or restarts. This is the first time since I bought the phone.
    01-28-09 08:05 PM
    I'm in indonesia and using the .90 on my storm 9500
    Running great and the random reboot only happens if I leave it alone too long
    which is bed time. Other then tht...its been superb.
    Plus I install over .83

I'm sure lucky ^^

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 09:44 PM
    Very god suggestions. Seems I may have to give this a try

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:17 PM
    Great thread... I had one issue with 0.90 that is not major, but it was that after switching the phone off, either full power or standby, when I switched back on I got the VSOD. This was not a big deal because I don't ever switch my phone off. But this thread got me to look at my media card which I discovered was corrupted. I had a message that the card needed to be formatted but it would n't from the phone, nor my computer. Once I replaced it with a new card the power on issue disappeared. I called VZW complained and they are sending me a new SD card! I am wondering if there's a bad batch of SD media cards out there causing problems, this could contribute to the general randomness of OS issues
    01-29-09 12:47 AM
    Guys, this is far too much effort for a job, let alone a phone. The entire experience with the storm has sucked. RIMM and Verizon should be embarrassed about this. There is NO reason for so many problems and stress.
    .90 has been the same as every other OS leaked or official, CRAP.
    Random reboots, missing music, constant batt pulls. Im spending more time trying to get my phone to work right, than I am trying to get my woman to work right. Maybe it's me that should be embarrassed.
    This isn't a rant thread.... or a praise thread... we are trying to understand the way the different os's are behaving so differently on all our phones and trying to find a way to deal with it until a more tolerant build comes along (and it will) Did you even read the posts? or just see the title and decide to randomly disagree? It isn't very productive to point out a flaw and just call it crap. Maybe I am just tired but that really got under my skin.
    01-29-09 02:18 AM
    Well I have had my first lockup with .90 yesterday, oops make the 2nd. Funny as I am typing this my machine just rebooted itself - wierd.

Anyway yesterday I was listening to my mp3's thru the headphones and typing a text message. It locked up hard and I had to do a battery pull x2 (media card error after 1st restart). Not sure what happened, all my mp3's are tagged as mp3 and I removed all the .dat files before uploading.

As for the current random reboot - today was the 1st time. Just have to wait and see.

Today is going on 3 days with .90 installed, also noticed I am starting to get the media card inserted error and have to pull battery, which makes for 2 restarts at a time :-(
    01-29-09 09:50 AM
    What program did you use to convert your music to "plain ole mp3s"? Does it batch convert or did you have to do each one seperately? How long did it take?
    I'm hoping that whatever you used is free so I can give it a try. Others have reported success with what you are saying, but some people have also said that it didn't work. Nonetheless, I'm ready to give it a try.
    Thanks.
    I used a free program called format factory, not sure if this was the best one to use, but it does allow for batch and you can change output settings.
    01-29-09 10:19 AM
    As for myself, Day three now with no freezes and no random reboots. I let the battery drain all the way down to radio off then self shut down and charged it back up until this morning. Started right up and since being unplugged at 6am this morning I am still at 75% battery life. Not bad at all.
    01-29-09 11:56 AM
    As for myself, Day three now with no freezes and no random reboots. I let the battery drain all the way down to radio off then self shut down and charged it back up until this morning. Started right up and since being unplugged at 6am this morning I am still at 75% battery life. Not bad at all.
    I unplugged mine this morning at 6:30 am and my battery is at 74%. Two nights ago I let my battery drain down to 20% (yellow) and plugged it in to charge all night. I did not turn it off as I use the alarm to wake-up in the morning.
    01-29-09 12:03 PM
    I used a free program called format factory, not sure if this was the best one to use, but it does allow for batch and you can change output settings.
    That is a good lead! Thanks E... and thanks for the link.
    01-29-09 01:42 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD