What is the purpose of this thread? If this build was perfect it would be an official release. Its not and it won't. Do we need to Collect data to "prove" a leaked OS isn't perfect? What's next " How many people think the sky is blue?"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've been on .76 since I got my Storm. With so many negative reviews of the Bb I was a bit skeptical and I almost returned it. I'm waiting for the official release but I'm glad to see that Rim is fixing some issues
    01-13-09 12:32 PM
    What is the purpose of this thread? If this build was perfect it would be an official release. Its not and it won't. Do we need to Collect data to "prove" a leaked OS isn't perfect? What's next " How many people think the sky is blue?"

Im going to have to say- ur not the smartest grape of the bunch with your assumption, as .75 was leaked and later made official.

Next poll- how many people laugh at you and your miserable life

JP, not really, but seriously 75 leak->official; it happens. Remember just because something isnt perfect doesnt mean it isnt/wont become official ie release OS, .75 and Im sure more to come
    01-13-09 12:52 PM
    I have had .75 and went to .85 with no wipe. I was experiencing the Verizon screen of death and pretty bad memory leak with .85 as it would drop from 41.5MB free (in the morning after battery pull) to under 20MB by the end of the day. As the memory leaked it got slower and the utility of the device degraded to the point where I would have to pull the battery and start over.

Upon reboot it would often lock up and have to pull the battery again.

So far in .86 the phone has been up for over 24 hours and my memory has not dropped below 40MB. I started out with more free memory also (47MB). The phone is overall more responsive and I have not rebooted or pulled the battery since the install. Battery life was greatly improved with .85 and I see no change with .86. For me the biggest issue was the poor memory management and they appear to have put some serious work into this for .86.

So far it is outstanding, this is the way the phone should have came.

I am running Viigo, Talklock, BBLight, etc.
    01-13-09 01:01 PM

The purpose of the thread is to give some risk assessment data for those contemplating whether or not to upgrade. People with problems tend to be squeakier wheels than those without. This thread attempts to give voice to those without problems. By comparing the number of issue-free users to those having problems, one may be able to make a more informed choice whether to risk an upgrade.
    01-13-09 01:02 PM
    The purpose of the thread is to give some risk assessment data for those contemplating whether or not to upgrade. People with problems tend to be squeakier wheels than those without. This thread attempts to give voice to those without problems. By comparing the number of issue-free users to those having problems, one may be able to make a more informed choice whether to risk an upgrade.
    Thank you! Those of us on the sidelines were looking for this.
    01-13-09 01:11 PM
    this far, no issues...well no important issues.

only thing so far is the options menu option in the phone book...shut phone off, turn on and it gives you some error message, closes phone and you're good to go again...no need to pull battery.

overall, I think this has to be the best build to date...
    01-13-09 01:14 PM
    24 hours in...None of the reported problems yet.
    Started at .75 official > .83 > back to .75 official > .86
    Not a wipe to my name.
    Weatherbug
    Myspace
    Xberry live
    01-13-09 01:26 PM
    Have had it since the begging still unsure does anyone one know on verizon when anymore smartphones or blackberrys will be available?
    01-13-09 01:33 PM
    Have never done a full wipe. Went .65 -> .75 -> .83 -> .85 -> .86 and so far .86 has been fine, but .85 was fine for a week until it started doing the lock/no-lock thing a couple days ago, among other things, so I was glad .86 came out. Memory on .86 isn't any different than .85. I don't think anything is faster or slower. I don't think my keyboard is more responsive. People saying so either need to take a stopwatch to it when they rotate it or stop making stuff up, I think. What .86 has done so far is fix my exact complaints about .85 SO FAR. We'll see in a week.

(Oh, I still have to shut my radio off and turn it back on after using the phone as a modem every once in a while, but I've had that issue with everything from .65 up.)
    01-13-09 01:47 PM
    Oh screw it, I'll try to install this. I have .85 and what I've noticed in the past with every other OS update (all leaked) is that whenever I get a new OS, it works worry free for a few days then either I get a bug I had with the previous OS...or a brand spankin new one.

I'll take my chances with .86 and just downgrade back to .85 if it proves too buggy. *knocks on wood*
    01-13-09 03:45 PM

lol.. so you're saying .75 was perfect? That was an official release.
    01-13-09 03:47 PM
    Well, its been well over 24 hours and I can say I have nothing but good to say about .86. Best release yet. Room for improvement=Definitely. But overall very good.
    01-13-09 04:03 PM
    Ya its been 24 hours for me too and apart from the browser issue everything is working is fine.

01-13-09 04:55 PM
    Well, its been well over 24 hours and I can say I have nothing but good to say about .86. Best release yet. Room for improvement=Definitely. But overall very good.
    Indeed. This OS is running extremely well.
    01-13-09 05:00 PM
    over 24 hours for me and the best improvement, for me anyways, is battery life. started today @ 100% (8am) it's now 3:15 and i'm at 95% with a couple calls, 10-15 texts, some BBM and minor browsing.
    01-13-09 05:18 PM
    .86 is still utterly flawless. This is my new permanent os until further notice.

I've been literally trying to get this thing to screw up and it isn't happening. This thing is rock solid.
    They definitely need to improve the sluggish feeling of typing in the internet browser though.

It would be great if they could make it as good as when you're not in the browser. That would be great.

01-13-09 07:04 PM
    I think this thread is an oxymoron. Is there ANYONE without the browser problems in .86 (cutting off text on far right even in column/landscape view, not saving preference of column/page view, and escape key exiting browser instead of going back a page?)
    01-13-09 07:27 PM
    it worked perfectly for me. I used to have issues with the updates last month but then i tried wiping out the blackberry and every beta OS has worked fine (aside from the minor glitches).

My advice:

Completely wipe the OS* then install

*remember to backup everything.
    01-13-09 07:47 PM
    I think this thread is an oxymoron. Is there ANYONE without the browser problems in .86 (cutting off text on far right even in column/landscape view, not saving preference of column/page view, and escape key exiting browser instead of going back a page?)
    I've seen it once or twice, but it hasn't yet cut off anything of significance that I couldn't immediately know what the word was. It's usually like a single letter, if that.
    01-13-09 08:42 PM
    Ok, one at a time, how about somebody who claims zero defects testing the escape key browser issue and reporting back please? Maybe it's just a matter of how long you hold down the escape key?
    01-13-09 09:07 PM
    Ok, one at a time, how about somebody who claims zero defects testing the escape key browser issue and reporting back please? Maybe it's just a matter of how long you hold down the escape key?

ok just clicked on browser and went to espn.com, loaded fine.. yes i noticed some letters on edge were cut off... i zoomed in once and then zoomed out and it seemed fine.. it "re-rendered" correctly(BUT letters on right are off the screen and this IS an issue i agree).. then i went to slashdot.com then drilled down into an article.. i then hit the return key (the arrow that loops back) and it took back to main slashdot page... i hit the return key.. and it took me back to espn..

But the overall .86 is again a nice improvement and shows RIM is working on this!!
    01-13-09 10:41 PM
    Installed for about 24 hours. I am not currently having any of these issues. Mine seems to work about the same as with .85, except the lock seems to work better. Otherwise, speed, functionality, app memory slightly better (48 - 51) and battery life about the same.

Came with .65 and have every leaked update through .86. Did a complete wipe with jlcmdr for all but the .75 update.
    01-13-09 11:10 PM
    cool...didnt see the pic of contacts til now...pretty funny
    01-14-09 06:36 AM
    .86 is a step in the right direction (cant believe it took this long to make the camera panel transpararent lol). My only concern is MANY more "media card inserted" issues after a day or 2 of using my phone I get that issue just about everytime I reboot my phone.
    01-14-09 07:24 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD