A friend of mine and I were debating this tonight...
    Do you think the recent release of the leaked OS will effect the release of the rumored official release from. Verizon expected by the end of this month? I don't see why it would. I'm hoping .86, though an improvement , isn't the official update, given the obvious freezes and bugs it currently still yields. What do you guys think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 11:15 PM
    The only way it would interfere is if the official release is the same or older then what you're currently running on the handset... regardless of version. The same would hold true for the update if you loaded it with DM.

BTW, just for argument sake. If Verizon was to release .85 tomorrow, do you honestly think it would be any different then what you saw when you had .85? If you believe that it would be, you'd be wrong. It's the same with the same bugs... they won't release .85 or .86 if they know what they are doing.
    01-13-09 11:17 PM
    oh I'm fully aware that the updates are the same as the leaked versions. I'm just hoping they don't actually take 85 or 86 as the official version, given the obvious problems they have

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 11:22 PM
    If they do, then they are silly. And even so, if they release one of these versions we've already run and found issues with, just run something newer that's still due to come out. As long as it's stable, who cares what you run... that's my thinking anyway. I've run official OS versions on previous BBs, and they all had one problem or another. The whole official and leaked OS version thing is just in people's heads.
    01-13-09 11:28 PM
    if it's a unofficial release, how would it mess up a official release?
    01-13-09 11:30 PM
    No joke. RIM/VZ would be mentally handicapped (to put it lightly) to release an OS that not only freezes randomly if you use the brand specific messenger and comes up with the splash screen. They'd have their hands full with people calling for help on how to get rid of it without trying the battery pull first.
    01-14-09 12:05 AM
    Been running .86 for two days and seemingly can't find any issues. It certainly makes me want to keep my Storm a tad longer. I was getting ready to chuck it in and jump ship but now the phone is much more spritely (responsive to inputs) than previously. Camera is faster but still too slow IMHO.
    01-14-09 07:53 AM
    IMO Verizon won't release an official update until the "memoery card inserted" issue is resolved.

My logic being: they would spend too much $$ in CSR hours trying to tell customers to move all ringtones, Homescreen images and contact photos off the media card onto the device .

I also expect they would want the bluetooth blinking light issue resolved as well.
    01-14-09 10:02 AM
    More to the point, why the concern about the OTA download. Verizon has made their official OS updates available on the web several days ahead of the OTA release. I find it hard to believe that anyone who frequents CB and is currently using a leaked OS would really wait three days for an OTA update when they could have already downloaded and installed the official OS via DM.
    01-14-09 10:26 AM
    ^^^ Don't you know by now. Official releases are way better then BETAs, even if they are the same version. Add to that the availability of it via OTA and it's bar none the most bestest and stablest of the bestest everest releasest OS by RIMest!!!
    01-14-09 10:44 AM
    And with the OTA release you get a free Frogurt!

Woohoo!

The frogurt is haunted.

D'oh!

But it comes with sprinkles!

Woohoo!

The sprinkles are also haunted.
    Last edited by DigbyT; 01-14-09 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Sorry sorry, will stay on topic from now on
    01-14-09 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD