I thought it would be nice for a thread for us UK people for anything to do with the 9500 OS Beta .85.

Crackberry seems to have gone wild with .85, but for the 9530 but us UK 9500 guys seem to have got left out.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts. For anyone that wants to blaze me or tell me to relax or be patient etc etc, please don't. I'm just interested in whats going on with the 9500 version and plus I think us UK guys need a home to discuss because the assault from the US drowns us out.
    12-27-08 04:10 PM
    Ash_786

Don't think it is in the wild yet, I may be wrong? In the other thread it was mentioned about 4hours ago that somebody was trying to host it, but I have heard nothing in response.

Wonder if it will resolve the signal issues?

Cheers
    TheWildHaggis
    12-27-08 04:13 PM
    Ash_786

Don't think it is in the wild yet, I may be wrong? In the other thread it was mentioned about 4hours ago that somebody was trying to host it, but I have heard nothing in response.

Wonder if it will resolve the signal issues?

Cheers
    TheWildHaggis
    What signal problems are you having ?

I noticed your post on the other 9530 post. I think there's a feeling that it might be released soon but nothing more than that.
    12-27-08 04:18 PM
    I get a bit confused as how the US version gets into the wild, but the UK version doesn't. Surely they are both available off the same RIM Server, So if you grab one to leak for the US version, surely you can just do the same for the UK version ?

I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on !
    12-27-08 04:21 PM
    Ash,

The problems i mostly have is really bad reception, I have an older phone (nokia) on vodafone on that can get a full 3G signal, my storm is lucky to get a 3bar GPRS signal in the same location.

Vodafone CS advised a new sim card, but the one in the phone is new. (New vodafone customer) Checked my settings for the network, that is set 2G/3G. No network issues in my area, as confirmed by vodafone and my other phone.

Over on the Vodafone Uk forums their is multiple UK users with the same issue.

Currently got firmware .83 installed.

How's your Strom working out for you?

Cheers
    12-27-08 04:24 PM
    Yeah I don't think it is ready yet. That Kevin guy that got the 9530 version said he was trying to get it, but if it was ready I would of expected to have seen it by now.

The signal thing is a strange one, I too have trouble at home holding a guaranteed 3G signal and it gets worse when I pick it up - however if I go 1/2 mile down the road to the supermarket I get a solid FULL bars - no matter how I cup my hands around it, I cannot loose a bar!

I have also noticed that my signal fluctuates a **** of allot more after office hours! - Do Vodafone lower something off-peak to a level just too low for the Storm?

UI have had .83 on since it was released with no real other issues - other that the red button now getting loose.

BTW I am RobinM from the VF forums (someone already had that username when I came here!)
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 12-27-08 at 04:34 PM.
    12-27-08 04:25 PM
    Yeah I don't think it is ready yet. That Kevin guy that got the 9530 version said he was trying to get it, but if it was ready I would of expected to have seen it by now.
    Possible, when .83 was leaked it was very soon after the 9530 version. Hopefully they are working on getting the reception issue cleared up.

Ahhh, I recognize that name, I am the same on both if the forums.

TheWildHaggis
    Last edited by TheWildHaggis; 12-27-08 at 04:37 PM.
    12-27-08 04:33 PM
    At the moment I'm using mine on O2 and I've experienced similar things to yourself.

On .65 On vodafone or O2 I used to get really bad reception. I tried 3 different phones and 2 SIM Cards and nothing improved (for Voda or O2). After that I ditched Voda.

Now, after I kept updating from .65 to .75 to .83 I've found the reception on 3G improved significantly from just about 1 bar to 3-4 bars on O2.

I've just tested the phone on Vodafone and its the same situation, signal has improved from near zero to 3-4 bars.

There are people using .85 over the pond that claim a slight increase, which is what I'm also interested in.
    12-27-08 04:37 PM
    I've just tested the phone on Vodafone and its the same situation, signal has improved from near zero to 3-4 bars.

There are people using .85 over the pond that claim a slight increase, which is what I'm also interested in.
    Wish I could say that the newer firmwares have helped my signal, I haven't noticed any improvements across the different versions.

TheWildHaggis
    12-27-08 04:47 PM
    Wish I could say that the newer firmwares have helped my signal, I haven't noticed any improvements across the different versions.

TheWildHaggis
    Have they swapped your phone ? I would also try that just in case you've purely got a lemon.

If your SIM gives full bars in another phone (Nokia) then theres some serious issues.
    12-27-08 04:51 PM
    Ash

I'm out of the 14day grace period now, and so cant really swap the phone. Not tried my Storms sim card in the other phone, but i am trying it at the moment. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
    12-27-08 04:55 PM
    It doesn't matter if your out of the 14 day thing or not.

If you've got a defective phone ...... they HAVE to swap it for another Storm !
    12-27-08 04:57 PM
    Hi all,

I'm also on the "waiting list" for the 85 to leak and give it a spin.
    Playing with 83 for some days, all seems better...I'm even starting to actually LIKE my "Stormita"... let's hope for the best and that it leaks asap!

Anyways, thx to all!
    CIAO!
    CeK!
    12-27-08 05:00 PM
    hi guys...

im another UK user.. bit of a story with mine....

got one a couple of months ago and went through the process of getting it unlocked, quite an achievement back then not manying people doing them...

anyways got it unlocked loved it worked great on O2.

along comes my younger better looking brother (so people keep telling me)

and he loved it, but he could never afford one in a million years... i thought to myself here we go again... so yes i gave him my unlocked storm, and yes i will go to heaven...not...

i thought to myself no problem i will buy another off ebay, this time i will buy an unlocked one plenty around now...

anyways it arrived and god what a difference from the one i gave my brother, my new one the screen would not click at the top or bottom. the 3g connection kept switching off meaning no calls, no emails.... big problem i get over 200 emails aday i need to recieve them asap....

at the moment its on the 076 firmware, yes i know its old... was thinking of updating to the 083 firmware but i have not seent he link yet. been busy over in the states.... but home now for christmas...

best bit the ebay seller wont help me return it for a replacement, typical you do someone a favour and you end up worse off...

IanC
    12-27-08 06:08 PM
    Ash,

The problems i mostly have is really bad reception, I have an older phone (nokia) on vodafone on that can get a full 3G signal, my storm is lucky to get a 3bar GPRS signal in the same location.

Vodafone CS advised a new sim card, but the one in the phone is new. (New vodafone customer) Checked my settings for the network, that is set 2G/3G. No network issues in my area, as confirmed by vodafone and my other phone.

Over on the Vodafone Uk forums their is multiple UK users with the same issue.

Currently got firmware .83 installed.

How's your Strom working out for you?

Cheers

Any link to get .83?

Cheers
    12-27-08 06:59 PM
    Gosh! Relax! Be patient. It comes when it comes.

No seriously, yes your theory is correct. I guess, they have no love for 9500 users. It'll make it out eventually bro.
    12-27-08 07:02 PM
    CX - I knew the world was against us ..... Lol, but hey we will keep in good spirits, sing songs around the camp fire.

Ian - nice to hear from you again. I got a storm off ebay that was a bit knackered and the seller did not want to help, so I got paypal involved and got a full refund.. Email me and we will have a chat.

BTW - if anyone wants to release a UK BETA and doesn't want to be the public face for whatever reason, please allow me !!!!! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 07:10 PM
    DraganC I presume you were looking a link for .85 ..... Which hasn't been given to us yet. As CX noted, no love for us guys.

12-27-08 07:18 PM
    hi mate

yep been busy working away... back now though...

what 083 like, is it alot better than the earlier firmwares might update whilst we wait for the 085...

on the ebay thing, i have to call the seller tomorrow to discuss how this is resolved... it will get sorted im sure one way or another...

thanks alot for the offer

Ian
    12-27-08 07:19 PM
    .83 is a lot better than earlier firmwares in my opinion. To install or not install, now that's a tough one as we don't know when its going to release. Previously the 9500 version was 2 days after the 9530 version, but ya never know.

I would give it 24 hours at least to see if things have changed. Tell the ebay seller that your protected by paypal for defective merchandise. So its upto him if he wants a fight that he will most likely lose.

12-27-08 07:26 PM
    .83 is a lot better than earlier firmwares in my opinion. To install or not install, now that's a tough one as we don't know when its going to release. Previously the 9500 version was 2 days after the 9530 version, but ya never know.

I would give it 24 hours at least to see if things have changed. Tell the ebay seller that your protected by paypal for defective merchandise. So its upto him if he wants a fight that he will most likely lose.

This post is not about .85 nor it's possible leak. Please keep discussion on topic or I will have to close this miserable thread.
    12-27-08 07:31 PM
    I thought it would be nice for a thread for us UK people for anything to do with the 9500 OS Beta .85.
    Oi! don't discriminate :P

They sold the 9500 into more markets then just the UK :P

I wonder if anyone has made a binary compare on the .83 versions for the 9500/9530, and if there is only minor differences could they be patched or copied to other versions of the 9530 software... Just a thought, although I'm bored enough to download and try the 9530 .85 for the **** of it
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-27-08 at 07:38 PM.
    12-27-08 07:33 PM
    They sold the 9500 into more markets then just the UK :P
    Listen lad! - "Alexander Graham Bell" invented the telephone and he was from my home town so I think i should get some VIP firmware treatment!

Without him you would be upgrading a polystyrene cup with a bit of string hanging out of it at the moment!

(I KID, I KID! )
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 12-28-08 at 09:20 AM.
    12-27-08 07:53 PM
    DraganC I presume you were looking a link for .85 ..... Which hasn't been given to us yet. As CX noted, no love for us guys.

Yes thanks .. looking for .85 bit would like to try .83.
    Purchased my storm yesterday with .78 and would like to try something 'better'.

12-27-08 07:54 PM
    This gets curiouser and curiouser, I noticed this the other day but didn't notice it completely, the 8310 firmware has a GPRS folder, the 9500 firmware has a CDMA folder and even 'VZnavigator.alx'
    12-27-08 08:05 PM
223 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD