When 85 first was leaked, I used JL to wipe the Storm and then installed 85 with the app loader. Did the battery pull after that was done and got the frozen screen. Pulled battery 2 more times, each time I got the frozen VZW screen. I went back to 76 because of that.

From reading all of the posts from people using 85 without problems, I decided to give it another shot yesterday. This time I installed differently. Instead of the wipe, I installed over 76 with DM. All went smoothly during the install, just like it did the first time.

Pulled the battery and phone started up and worked correctly - no frozen VZW screen this time. I was watching a movie with my wife, so I figured I would try a little experiment. Pulled the battery 10 times and let the Storm reboot to see what would happen. 10 times and no frozen screen. The phone is working great now.

The only thing I did different this time was to install over the prior OS without a wipe. This worked for me for some reason. Also tested media player for the volume issues I have read about and have used BBM without any issues. Phone is working well now on 85. Just wanted to share, maybe this will help someone out who may be having trouble with 85.
    01-01-09 09:22 AM
    I did a wipe before I installed .83, so i just loaded .85 overtop. I haven't had many issues at all. You might be onto somethng
    01-01-09 10:21 AM
    it took me 3 times...but when it's on for a while and i try to take a picture it freezes then restarts...still a bit buggy.
    Hopefully the rumored january update will be more stable
    01-01-09 11:53 AM
    I went from wipe to .76 and then upgraded to .85 and am still having the media card error. Extremely irritating!
    01-01-09 03:23 PM
    i've wiped on each install and am not having problems...
    01-01-09 03:28 PM
    Looks like it happens with all types of installs. Sometimes it works well, other times it doesn't. I'm glad I gave it another shot, though. Works like a charm now.
    01-01-09 04:27 PM
    I originally installed .85 from .75 and it sucked. For some strange reason the phone was always hot and the battery didn't last 2 or 3 hours without using it at all. I would also experience lockups and the overall response was sluggish.

After going back to .75 I did a complete wipe of my device and took another chance at .85. I can honestly say this is a huge improvement. It took a little longer to get everything set up again because I chose not to back up anything. Now the battery life is great and the phone by far is a lot quicker than .75.
    01-01-09 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD