I am fairly confused with the OS updates. I am new to Blackberry, the Storm is my first, so far I am content with it. I've been surfin' around the forums and I hear all kinds of talk about different OS updates and was wondering if anything official has come out since .75? Or have they all been "leaks"? I now people have been talking about .113 for some time and the guys at Verizon when I bought my phone told me it was slated to be out a few days ago. Obviously if it were out officialy I assume it would be all over this place.

Do I do updates through the DM, the Blackberry site, or through Verizon?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
    04-04-09 02:16 PM
    Yep! .75 is the latest "official" OS and we're all anxiously awaiting the latest update. Although your Desktop Manager should automatically check for updates every time you connect to it, you'll no doubt hear about it first here.

What you may also try, if you're bold enough, is to try a "beta" version of leaked updates, but you're always warned about it. Some people have no problems whatsoever, some have problems and convert back to .75 - it's really up to you

(unless of course you believe the Verizon sales people that your warranty will be invalid if you use a beta OS! )
    04-04-09 02:27 PM
    .75 is the lastest one out yet.. suppose to be a new one out sometime soon, but who knows anymore...

anyway, when a Official OS comes out, yo ucan do it right from your phone. When it comes out, go to options on your phone, and the advanced Options, then choose Wireless upgrade. It will do all the work for you. its simple.
    04-04-09 02:27 PM
    .75 is the latest "official" OS release, but it will unlikely be the last. Some people seem to think that because something has been blessed as official it will make it instantly better, and I feel sorry for these people.

As for upgrades... Most of the time you do them through DM, but official updates can be pushed to your phone OTA (over the air). It's just another option, but it's still the same OS as what you'd get if you did it via DM. Verizon doesn't do BB updates like they do with feature phones. I've heard a number of reasons why, but it doesn't really matter. It's not a difficult process, and it's been well documented here, so if you're able to follow simple instructions you'll be fine.
    04-04-09 02:28 PM
    Whichever method you use to capture the next official OS, Cubby, I suggest you use DM to back up what you've got first, just for insurance. Most Crackheads would also recommend a battery pull/reset following the new OS installation. Storm On.
    04-04-09 03:12 PM
    You can check here for latest updates as well..
    BlackBerry® Software Updates
    04-04-09 03:15 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. My other question, which may be a little silly but.... Where did all of the updates that I hear people talking about between .75 and .113 come from? Why were they not released officially. Why is there a skip between .75 and .113 with official releases?
    04-04-09 04:44 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. My other question, which may be a little silly but.... Where did all of the updates that I hear people talking about between .75 and .113 come from? Why were they not released officially. Why is there a skip between .75 and .113 with official releases?
    they have been released by people at RIM, when they choose to, and there have been many releases between .75 and .113. Each build gets a different number assigned to it; not all builds have been released.
    04-04-09 04:47 PM
    its not a skip between .75 and .113 we have all kinds of "leaked" versions out.. from .83 .88 .103 .109 .113 They havn't been made official since they failed testing... .113 will also never be official since it had failed the testing process a long time ago. Rim is way far a head of OS's build by the time we get a leak on here it had already been through testing and it had failed. There currently working .190 we won't see that one for a long time though
    04-04-09 04:49 PM
    What I meant by skip is a skip for official releases (but I guess it will not be a skip if .113 is never released as an official update). I'm still confused with why people at RIM would release something that failed testing, seems like it would cause more problems than worth. Are they disgruntled employees looking for a way to screw the system?
    04-04-09 05:00 PM
    What I meant by skip is a skip for official releases (but I guess it will not be a skip if .113 is never released as an official update). I'm still confused with why people at RIM would release something that failed testing, seems like it would cause more problems than worth. Are they disgruntled employees looking for a way to screw the system?
    you sound confused.... RIM does not release anything to us.. they did not release .113 to us. someone got a hold of a OS leak and it was sent out over the internet.. these were never ever ment for us to have becuase they are not official. the only thing that was released to us is .75 everything else as for as leaks go we should not have had becuase they have problems.

everytime RIM builds a new OS for the storm, its numbers. like .75 after .75 they fix problems with .75 and make a new OS, which has to be numbers another OS, which would be for example .76 then if that failes testing, they make a new one with a new number again and do testing and so forth...for each build that they make comes a different OS number. does that help you understand more?
    04-04-09 05:16 PM
    113 is the best of the leaks but is not without problems. Battery life sucks and the MMS forwarding bug is present for most. Its worth it thou, and its what I use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD