My wife received a refurbished Storm following the main screen button sticking in the depressed-in position. Having already backed up her info and apps, I elected to upgrade hers to .113, as I'd already done mine.

The refurb arrived with .75 on it, so naturally I wiped it using JL_Cmder and began to install .113, reinstate her apps and info, etc. Got the Blackberry registration e-mail and all was complete.

HOWEVER - it appears something went awry, because she's not receiving any e-mails. I re-sent service books, had the VZW tech guy on the phone for over 90 minutes researching the problem with me - even got patched through to RIM tech support, who said it was a VZW problem. (The VZW guy did reset the device PIN to support the new one)

I've deleted and reinstalled her e-mail through the BIS webpage, tried numerous battery pulls - the only thing left is to wipe and start again. VZW thinks it might be a hardware issue so they're sending another refurb out, but I'm not so sure that's the issue.

So - has anyone run into this before, and how have you combated this problem?
    04-07-09 12:19 AM
    Why did you wipe the phone??? You don't need to do it

Was it working while it had .75? If it was I would downgrade back to .75 and then update to .113 again without doing the wipe
    04-07-09 12:27 AM
    Why did you wipe the phone??? You don't need to do it

Was it working while it had .75? If it was I would downgrade back to .75 and then update to .113 again without doing the wipe
    I thought - from reading everything I've seen here - that a wipe prior to upgrading was generally considered the best way to go. I'll try the .75 downgrade/upgrade to .113 and see what happens.
    04-07-09 12:51 AM
    I thought - from reading everything I've seen here - that a wipe prior to upgrading was generally considered the best way to go. I'll try the .75 downgrade/upgrade to .113 and see what happens.
    I have never wiped the phone and have no issues. Someone posted that upgrading directly from .75 to .113 (no wipe) fixes the MMS issue
    04-07-09 01:17 AM
    Downgraded the phone back to .75, battery pull and resent service books again...and somehow the e-mail issue is still plaguing me. I guess I'll try my luck with another refurb as the VZW rep suggested - although I know this cannot be hardware related.
    04-07-09 03:42 AM
    Do you have data at all?

Try Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table

Hit the BB key and Register Now.

If this works on .75 for you, you can upgrade back to .113
    04-07-09 04:27 AM
    Do you have data at all?

Try Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table

Hit the BB key and Register Now.

If this works on .75 for you, you can upgrade back to .113
    Data works - got a fully-functioning web browser, SMS/MMS/Phone all work - just no e-mail.

Re-registered the HRT just to be sure - and still no luck.

This is perplexing, to be sure.
    04-07-09 04:45 AM
    what is your service status, are you connected to the blackberry entreprise server?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 04:57 AM
    what is your service status, are you connected to the blackberry entreprise server?

No, the e-mail accounts aren't corporate ones.
    04-07-09 05:04 AM
    i think i can solve your problem... try this:

1. go to email settings
    2. click menu
    3. click service books
    4. send service books.

it worked for me.. after you done all this. you should be getting an email saying that you have registered your e-mail address.
    04-07-09 05:39 AM
    i think i can solve your problem... try this:

1. go to email settings
    2. click menu
    3. click service books
    4. send service books.

it worked for me.. after you done all this. you should be getting an email saying that you have registered your e-mail address.
    I appreciate the thought, but I've re-sent my service books several times already, to no avail.
    04-07-09 05:49 AM
    Go to the bis yourself. And change the pin and resend service books

04-07-09 05:54 AM
    Go to the bis yourself. And change the pin and resend service books
    Done. Twice.

Both on the device and on the BIS site via my PC.

I'm telling you guys, this is WEIRD. I can't figure this one out at all.
    04-07-09 05:56 AM
    Do you have email icons on the device

04-07-09 06:04 AM
    Do you have email icons on the device
    Yes. At this point they appear to be solely for show, however.
    04-07-09 06:27 AM
    Okay did they appear after you sent the service books or from a restore

04-07-09 06:33 AM
    My wife received a refurbished Storm following the main screen button sticking in the depressed-in position. Having already backed up her info and apps, I elected to upgrade hers to .113, as I'd already done mine.

The refurb arrived with .75 on it, so naturally I wiped it using JL_Cmder and began to install .113, reinstate her apps and info, etc. Got the Blackberry registration e-mail and all was complete.

HOWEVER - it appears something went awry, because she's not receiving any e-mails. I re-sent service books, had the VZW tech guy on the phone for over 90 minutes researching the problem with me - even got patched through to RIM tech support, who said it was a VZW problem. (The VZW guy did reset the device PIN to support the new one)

I've deleted and reinstalled her e-mail through the BIS webpage, tried numerous battery pulls - the only thing left is to wipe and start again. VZW thinks it might be a hardware issue so they're sending another refurb out, but I'm not so sure that's the issue.

So - has anyone run into this before, and how have you combated this problem?

Seems like you have tried everything, but sending an email out from the storm, if it will send out then you can receive. Send an email, and then check the address it says it came from, use the native carrier address also ie [email protected] Keep us updated. Not sure if this is a hoax, there is a joker on another thread throwing your name around in his weird rant of .109
    04-07-09 06:40 AM
    I think that it is an installation problem, try what I told you, it wont hurt. And like you said it worked on .75 so if you don't wipe it should work
    04-07-09 08:46 AM
    Okay did they appear after you sent the service books or from a restore
    They came back after I'd restored the settings and data after upgrading to .113

Here's where it gets strange - e-mails are working again, but what had to happen was after going back to .75, I had to re-up the existing e-mails FROM THE DEVICE. That's what "unstuck" it.

Sending service books for those identical accounts didn't work, deleting and re-adding from the BIS site didn't work - it was only when I added them again from the device that got things flowing again.

Weird, weird, weird! I'm just glad that's done. Next step is to update to .113 and hope it doesn't all go sideways on me again.
    04-07-09 01:29 PM
    Not sure if this is a hoax, there is a joker on another thread throwing your name around in his weird rant of .109

No, this is no hoax - this is just me staying up until 4:30am trying to fix my wife's phone. I happened to see that guy's whacked-out rants and when I opined that he essentially needed to go back under his bridge where he belongs, he began dropping my name in his many other threads for some reason.
    04-07-09 01:36 PM
    I had the same issue when I got my refurb. Hit the BB menu key, select setup and email settings. At this point I don't remember what exactly happened but it told me my Verizon Account had an email account setup already and needed to re-enter my Gmail password plus allow this new device PIN to access the account. I had to perform 3 battery pulls but finally it let me enter my password and update the account successfully.

Sorry for the poor details, this was a few months ago.
    04-07-09 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD