on only when its connected

i use smartwifi
    Okay, my S2 is only set up to recognize the WiFi in my home. Since I was traveling and spent a couple of nights in a motel with WiFi enabled this would have no effect on battery drain, correct?

What is smartwifi? Just your brain or is it an app? lol
    07-01-10 07:34 AM
    I dont have wifi on unless im home im a over the road truck driver so im usually on the road 2 weeks at a time so long story short no not really
    07-01-10 08:00 AM
    Okay, my S2 is only set up to recognize the WiFi in my home. Since I was traveling and spent a couple of nights in a motel with WiFi enabled this would have no effect on battery drain, correct?

What is smartwifi? Just your brain or is it an app? lol
    not familiar with smartwifi but if its running its using power.
    07-01-10 08:01 AM
    I leave my WIFI on all the time, and it doesn't seem to drain my battery *that* much at all.

One suggestion to the OP, dial *228 and select option 2 to make sure your PRL is up to date (never hurts).

I have found that being in areas with weak signal kills my battery VERY fast, so I'd keep an eye on that.
    07-01-10 10:09 AM
    I'm surprised dave hasn't chimed in . LOL.
    07-01-10 11:42 AM
    I'm surprised dave hasn't chimed in . LOL.
    lmao too funny

having wifi running and searching for a network to connect to drains the battery a little, how much i cant say. thats why i use a program to just turn on and off when its actually going to connect to a network and not sit there searching for hours
    07-01-10 12:42 PM
    I'm just coming to the realization that the S2 is not good on battery life. That's okay. I can live with that. I just have to charge it every night, no biggie.

My avg discharge rate is between 4 and 7%. I have several apps running in the background but no major ones like wifi. Keeping wifi on when you're not using it is a complete waste of battery life and nothing else. It serves no purpose at all.

I have only run .607 and now .713 OS's. I actually liked .607 better overall but kept .713 because it gave me better battery life. I'm thinking of switching to a hybrid to see what that gives me but I loathe switching my OS and there are so many hybrids to test.
    07-02-10 08:51 AM
    I'm just coming to the realization that the S2 is not good on battery life. That's okay. I can live with that. I just have to charge it every night, no biggie.

My avg discharge rate is between 4 and 7%. I have several apps running in the background but no major ones like wifi. Keeping wifi on when you're not using it is a complete waste of battery life and nothing else. It serves no purpose at all.

I have only run .607 and now .713 OS's. I actually liked .607 better overall but kept .713 because it gave me better battery life. I'm thinking of switching to a hybrid to see what that gives me but I loathe switching my OS and there are so many hybrids to test.
    I have no problem charging my S2 every night, as long as the battery lasts all day. On a normal day, I'm usually anywhere from 35-50% remaining (per Meterberry) when I go to bed and plug it back in, so I can't complain.
    07-02-10 12:29 PM
    if you are having that much drain at idle you need to do a complete new install and DO NOT load the backup file. Set everything up except calender/contacts, browser bookmarks and store messages. then install all the apps 1 by 1 and set those up individually. Im guessing this will greatly improve you battery life unless you are in a horrible signal area.
    07-02-10 12:57 PM
    if you are having that much drain at idle you need to do a complete new install and DO NOT load the backup file. Set everything up except calender/contacts, browser bookmarks and store messages. then install all the apps 1 by 1 and set those up individually. Im guessing this will greatly improve you battery life unless you are in a horrible signal area.
    +1 This should be a sticky -- "how to solve battery drain issues after upgrade." It resolved my recent issue.

Gary
    07-02-10 03:18 PM
    Where can I find this process explained so that an 8 year old could read and follow the instructions. I'm a Pastor wanting to be a geek I don't know what you mean when you say a "new install". DO I do a complete wipe and restore selected items from my BB Desktop I saved before I wiped? When you say install the apps "1 by 1" I'm confused. Is there a way to install apps in mass? I really want to keep my S2 and I've got 2 more weeks before my 30 days trial period is up. You can PM me if you like... Thanks!
    07-02-10 04:00 PM
    I never thought I'd say or write this. I have gone through 3 S2's. I just can't "live" with this battery issue. I used to wonder why people would want to say they are leaving BB, but now I know. They are frustrated because they really don't want to leave. Yeah, my life is more than a cell phone but it is very important to me as it is my main way of communicating with my congregation. I'm in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. I now spend much of my time trying to think ahead as to how I can keep my phone charged up. That shouldn't be issue, should it? Yesterday I was in a weak signal area all day and expecting 2 "emergency" phone calls. I have to go to my car and plug my S2 into the charger and leave the switch on cause I'm down to 10% by noon. Then I have to sit in the car just waiting.... I guess I could carry a wall charger and just plug it in an outlet in the hospital room.

I got to thinking my phone is now controlling me. Or "I'm" letting my phone now control me.

Maybe I expect too much...

I can't see the keys (without reading glasses) to text on the physical keypad BB's. My Youth Pastor has the Incredible and it won't make it all day w/o charging. Can't use the iPhone because of AT&T. All I want to do is see the keypad without glasses, receive email and text and be able to talk during the hours of 8 am to 10 pm and then only having to charge my battery once day from 11 pm to 7 am. Some apps would be nice but not necessary. I guess I'm asking too much...
    Last edited by Gebo; 07-03-10 at 08:42 AM.
    07-03-10 08:26 AM
    Maybe storm2 is not suitable for you. How about those with qwerty key? like a bb bold? Nothing is perfect.... HE gave us the freedom... the choice to choose what we want...

All i can say is...the storm2 is an almost perfect smart phone. Remember, nothing is perfect.
    07-03-10 08:39 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD