I just got my S2 last week. Guys and gals, this is bad for me. I'm running between a 7-9% loss per hour with no apps. I check it every hour or so and only have the 5 apps running in the background. WiFi is on as I am at home. Set to 1XEV. 60% brightness. Should I go a week or so longer? Some people here say give the battery a few charge cycles...

I may charge it and leave it on all night with no texting and talking and see what kind of discharge rate I get. Oh, I'm on the latest official OS.
    06-30-10 03:13 PM
    i have heard that 713 isn't any better than that laughable mess called 607. be prepared to be told it's your apps, even though you don't have any, that you don't know how to configure your device, and that it runs "flawlessly" for other users (but only because they haven't experienced some of the known issues).

give it a little more time to settle in, and go thru a few more charge/discharge cycles. you can always run a previous OS. some are more stable than others.
    06-30-10 03:24 PM
    Signal strength is another issue. I get <1-1.5%/hr at home where I have a strong 3g signal, whereas at work I'm around 2-2.5%/hr and spotty 3g=>1XEV.

On base 713 my battery drain was higher. I'm happy with my current hybrid.
    06-30-10 03:45 PM
    Give lyricidals .607/.748 hybird a shot. Has my S2 running great. Battery life and memory very stable. I tried .713 and came back to this.
    06-30-10 04:11 PM
    I am constantly sitting at 9-13% loss. But I always am on the phone. Whether it be talking, bbming, or surfing the web. I am satisfied with that %. But if I take a day off from work and reset the logs I sit at around 3-5%. That's on lyrics newest hybrid with 713 and 6.0 files
    06-30-10 04:31 PM
    AM I being stupid if I try some of those battery drain apps?
    06-30-10 04:35 PM
    Running straight .713 I was at 6% loss. Using OOAKDPC's 713 hybrid I'm at 1.6%. Thanks OOAKD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 05:49 PM
    Yeah I feel for you...I love my s2 the death, but the battery drain was killing me so I switched to my tour...I never used wifi, I didn't install a lot of apps only Facebook, viigo, and mlb at bat...I hope that works out for you.

06-30-10 06:04 PM
    How do you check your battery discharge rate?

06-30-10 07:17 PM
    I just got my S2 last week. Guys and gals, this is bad for me. I'm running between a 7-9% loss per hour with no apps. I check it every hour or so and only have the 5 apps running in the background. WiFi is on as I am at home. Set to 1XEV. 60% brightness. Should I go a week or so longer? Some people here say give the battery a few charge cycles...

I may charge it and leave it on all night with no texting and talking and see what kind of discharge rate I get. Oh, I'm on the latest official OS.
    shut wifi off if you arent using it, i have been running .713 and hit 4%max on long phone calls, i have weather bug running all the time, and facebook, i browse the web and get tons of emails,
    06-30-10 07:46 PM
    How do you check your battery discharge rate?

MeterBerry - The Ultimate System Management Utility - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

To the OP, do you have a theme installed? That was my main issue, once I went to the default Zen theme my rate got MUCH better.
    06-30-10 07:55 PM
    WiFi will suck up some battery life, to be sure, though to be honest, I've not used mine enough to know what it does to my own battery. You say you have "no apps" but do you really mean "NO APPS?" As in, stock issue and that's it? You can turn down your backlight to about 10%, that's what many do and it works just fine, try it and see. 1XEV is correct.

While it's clear that results vary from user to user, I'm on .713, my phone gets moderate usage each day (4 or 5 calls, an hour or more on the internet, some BBM messaging and some short time on various games) plus I have a couple of apps in the background that poll on a scheduled basis. I easily get 24 hours between charges, so I don't hold .713 to blame.
    06-30-10 08:00 PM
    MeterBerry - The Ultimate System Management Utility - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

To the OP, do you have a theme installed? That was my main issue, once I went to the default Zen theme my rate got MUCH better.
    I was running a weather theme on my homepage but have erased it totally.
    06-30-10 09:51 PM
    WiFi will suck up some battery life, to be sure, though to be honest, I've not used mine enough to know what it does to my own battery. You say you have "no apps" but do you really mean "NO APPS?" As in, stock issue and that's it? You can turn down your backlight to about 10%, that's what many do and it works just fine, try it and see. 1XEV is correct.

While it's clear that results vary from user to user, I'm on .713, my phone gets moderate usage each day (4 or 5 calls, an hour or more on the internet, some BBM messaging and some short time on various games) plus I have a couple of apps in the background that poll on a scheduled basis. I easily get 24 hours between charges, so I don't hold .713 to blame.

Yes, I really mean "No Apps." I had them but erased them. Backlight is set to 70%. I'm 50+ and need a iittle more light to function. lol
    06-30-10 09:53 PM
    After it gets charged tonight I'm gonna see how much it loses overnight. If it is still bad, I will turn off WiFi tomorrow.
    06-30-10 09:55 PM

Maybe you can help us by explain what are the 5 apps?

I suppose to you have meterberry????

The best way to diagnose...is to uninstall all the 3rd party apps, leaving only RIM apps and meterberry...then reboot the phone. The theme you can simply change back to original RIM theme. No need delete your downloaded theme. Those apps you purchased make sure you still got the registration key.

Having 60% brightness...then charge your phone to FULL and from there unplug ....wait for couple hours...then see the discharge rate again.

my average discharge rate is 4-5%/hour...but i am at 10% brightness with quite some apps runnings.

on the average... i can use my phone for 12hours after a full charge.

dont want list the apps i running... just say i message a lot and entertain myself a lot and surf a lot.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 06-30-10 at 10:20 PM.
    06-30-10 10:09 PM
    The ones that never close...phone, home, browser, BBM, messages....
    06-30-10 10:57 PM
    I may be onto something. I have noticed I go from no bars to 5 bars to no bars to 1 bar to 5 bars to 1 bar to no signal in several minutes. I'm gonna watch that tomorrow. I was in Charlotte NC with no signal 3 times on Monday and Tuesday. Hmmm....
    06-30-10 11:11 PM
    I went from 100% at midnight to 92% battery this morning for a 1.1% drop per hour just laying on the night stand. WiFi was on. Normal?
    07-01-10 06:45 AM
    i have lyc 7.13 hybrid it took quite a few days to set in but now it gets great battery I leave it off the charger when im sleeping with trillion im , skype , google voice berryweather(gps updated every min with advisory) and get no more than 2% and if no im its like 1.6%
    07-01-10 06:53 AM
    yes that is about normal really
    07-01-10 06:57 AM
    i have lyc 7.13 hybrid it took quite a few days to set in but now it gets great battery I leave it off the charger when im sleeping with trillion im , skype , google voice berryweather(gps updated every min with advisory) and get no more than 2% and if no im its like 1.6%

DO you have WiFi on all the time?
    07-01-10 06:59 AM
    yes that is about normal really

Do you leave WiFi on all the time?
    07-01-10 06:59 AM
    on only when its connected

i use smartwifi
    07-01-10 07:04 AM
    I was a little worried about the battery drain issue also. However, I'm seeing over-night not much more than the 7-9% use from 11pm-6am, with wi-fi on; and about 3% per hour daytime with mild weekend use; and with all day @ work (13-14hrs or so) with browsing, email, calling etc it easily covers leaving the house to coming home with no charges during the day....usually 20%+ left
    Default theme, minimum apps running, 3G on.

i'm not even on the latest version sw - 5.0.0.497 (latest I could get on Vodafone in UK...unless someone can point me to a later one.)
    So I'm quite happy with it - its not much different to what I'd expect from a large screen, and as much as I see of some of the guys make out of their iPhones...
    07-01-10 07:06 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD