It's really easy to intercept incoming messages but you can't pull messages from a folder meaning the app would have to run all the time. To my knowledge there is also no way to delete SMS in the inbox or remove the notification icon.

It's doable for sure but you'll get duplicate messages one to the app and one to your default SMS inbox and you'd have to disable the message indicator.

Edit - DMG is right as well, the API for SMS is pretty annoying but that's for your security.
    Last edited by atlus; 05-15-09 at 09:59 PM.
    05-15-09 09:50 PM
    This is kind of what I have working on the 8300 simulator from the few minutes I spent on it tonight....basically it's an app you have to run, it scans your inbox for SMS messages, finds all the unique senders, builds a list of them, you pick one the senders, it then finds all of the messages between you and the sender and builds the chat thread on the fly. From that screen you can reply and any new incoming message is automagically added to the chat thread.

05-15-09 10:04 PM
    I stand corrected =) good work.
    05-15-09 10:07 PM
    Looks interesting so far.
    05-15-09 10:08 PM
    I just realized the list of "sms messages" i was querying were actually sample emails I loaded on my device....doesn't look like I can get the existing messages or senders, only new ones that are incoming/outbound.
    05-15-09 10:13 PM
    I thought it didn't work on the storm, but it actually does... the 3jam blackberry app works fairly wonderfully. It even notifies you of new texts with a pop up you can easily use to reply with. It's the best we can do without RIM allowing someone to develop this.

3jam also lets you text longer than 160 characters and will split it up into multiple texts. Just make sure you disable compatibility mode. There is a free trial on their site:

3jam SuperText :: Your Free Text Messaging Inbox on the Web

and an OTA link: 3jam

I had bought this two days before my curve died, and I thought it didn't work on the storm so I never put it on there. Found out yesterday it does work on the storm, just make sure to disable compatibility mode.

Limitations are: the messages won't count as read in the SMS inbox, so you have to manually count them as opened, messages sent from the app won't show up in the SMS outbox, andddd it's an outside app so it's not integrated with the standard inbox of the bberry.

However, all texts are saved in the app, so you won't lose them if you run low on memory and the phone wipes your inbox.
    05-25-09 03:23 AM
    I would throw 50 in just to get the ball rolling. Another 50 if it was done nice and looks somewhat as neat, crisp, and cool as the I Phone's native app.
    06-15-09 09:25 PM
    I thought it didn't work on the storm, but it actually does... the 3jam blackberry app works fairly wonderfully. It even notifies you of new texts with a pop up you can easily use to reply with. It's the best we can do without RIM allowing someone to develop this.

3jam also lets you text longer than 160 characters and will split it up into multiple texts. Just make sure you disable compatibility mode. There is a free trial on their site:

I had bought this two days before my curve died, and I thought it didn't work on the storm so I never put it on there. Found out yesterday it does work on the storm, just make sure to disable compatibility mode.

Limitations are: the messages won't count as read in the SMS inbox, so you have to manually count them as opened, messages sent from the app won't show up in the SMS outbox, andddd it's an outside app so it's not integrated with the standard inbox of the bberry.

However, all texts are saved in the app, so you won't lose them if you run low on memory and the phone wipes your inbox.

I found a workaround to the problem you described above with multiple messages. If you go to options>security options>firewall. then check sms and enable the firewall. it will no longer send the sms messages to your inbox, but 3jam will still pick them up. has worked so far for me. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
    06-23-09 04:05 PM
    I got 3jam on my phone but how do you get it to vibrate or ring or better yet both?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 05:18 PM
    just wait for a lil bit, its gonna be in 5.0

DONT spend you money $

be patient
    06-23-09 05:26 PM

3jam SuperText :: Your Free Text Messaging Inbox on the Web

and an OTA link: 3jam

i downloaded it using the ota you provided and i LOVE this app. but i cant get the notifacations to work (no ring no vibrate) other than that i love the app. i also used the firewall method to block the txt messages from going to the sms box. how much did you pay for the app? i cant find an exact answer in there website.

if i could get the notification bug fixed i wouldnt mind paying for it (givin its not alot or better yet over 20$)
    06-23-09 06:30 PM
111 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD