Any Howard Stern fans here? On todays show Howard was talking about switching switching from a Treo to BB (theres been a lot of BB talk lately on there). He said he would switch in a second but he wanted threaded SMS like the Treo. Back on subject id pay $10 for threaded SMS if it was possible.

Here's a summary from what he had to say, more can be found here: MarksFriggin.com - Howard Stern Show News
    and scroll down to 6:45 am, they also talk about slingbox, and bash the iphone a little bit.
    I only caught a few mins of this morning show, but i did hear that convo and the guy from "BlackBerry" trying to explain it on the phone.

I had a thought at that time, I dont know if anyone else has had this idea before...Why doesn't RIM just incorporate the SMS and MMS functionality into BBMessenger? Make BBMessenger the one-stop-shop for all your messaging. It's already got the threaded interface we all want, just make it work with SMS and MMS.
    03-24-09 12:40 AM
    I only caught a few mins of this morning show, but i did hear that convo and the guy from "BlackBerry" trying to explain it on the phone.

I had a thought at that time, I dont know if anyone else has had this idea before...Why doesn't RIM just incorporate the SMS and MMS functionality into BBMessenger? Make BBMessenger the one-stop-shop for all your messaging. It's already got the threaded interface we all want, just make it work with SMS and MMS.
    Ya the guy from "blackberry" that came later in the show.

But I agree, SMS/MMS in the BBM interface would be a great step.

Howard actually led off todays show again by talking about phones. Said he wanted a blackberry, but because of the lack of threaded SMS he is leaning towards the Pre or possibly the iPhone.
    Last edited by Shao128; 03-24-09 at 05:23 PM.
    03-24-09 05:14 PM
    So I used Palm devices (both Palm OS and WinMo versions) for the past 7 yrs or so, and I for sure miss the threaded SMS aspect. (not enough to keep me from coming to the Storm...lol)

And for those scratching your heads wondering 'hey when I'm looking at an SMS from X Person, I see what he sent and what I sent, and it <looks> threaded to me, so what's the deal??' - let me say as a LONGtime threaded SMS user, RIM's implementation of SMS is NOT threaded. With a Palm (and some WM devices), as some have said above, when you open the app, all your SMS conversations are grouped by person, rather than the way RIM does it which is just the same 'ol sequential listing - by date. So yep, SMS looks like an IM app just like BBM or whatever. Very nice, and of course Apple took the clue and has it. I just find it funny that Palm had that function for years and only when the iPhone started making noise about it did people wake up to it.

Anyway - I'm sure it's difficult to do as was discussed above. You know that RIM has to feel the heat on that one.
    03-24-09 08:06 PM
    this feature is kinda built into the phone. just go t a recent text by a person you want to check. dont open the message but just tap and hold on the message you recieved from that person without clicking and it will bring up every message with that person.
    03-24-09 08:25 PM
    Not even close to being as usable as offerings from other companies.
    03-24-09 09:56 PM
    Don't forget Android. It has it, too.

Poor Blackberry left out in the cold
    03-24-09 10:22 PM
    Even WinMo has it....it's pretty depressing we can't get it yet....hopefully OS 5.0 will have it (If and When it finally comes out)
    03-24-09 10:39 PM
    i will pay 1 MILLION DOLLARS
    03-24-09 11:48 PM
    i came from a palm treo 700p and thats the one thing i hate about the storm is threaded sms, the palm sms was perfect
    03-25-09 01:02 AM
    I believe the problem is that the API restricts access to the messages once they are received...which eliminates the possibility of having an integrated SMS App.

Somebody please correct me if this is wrong
    03-25-09 03:58 AM
    ill throw down at least 15, someone needs to prove all these nay-sayers wrong!!!
    03-25-09 09:12 AM
    I got 5 on it.
    03-25-09 09:52 AM
    this feature is kinda built into the phone. just go t a recent text by a person you want to check. dont open the message but just tap and hold on the message you recieved from that person without clicking and it will bring up every message with that person.

That's exactly what people don't want to do which is why they want fully functional threaded SMS.
    03-25-09 10:02 AM
    SMS threading began with Palm. Their company may not be all that, but their threaded SMS is the bomb and for those of you that have ever used a Treo, you know exactly what I mean.

Palm's threaded SMS was hacked to be used on WinMo devices. Sites that had it had to remove it.....you can guess why.
    03-25-09 10:09 AM
    Palms threaded SMS is what I miss the most from my Treo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 11:09 AM
    I believe the problem is that the API restricts access to the messages once they are received...which eliminates the possibility of having an integrated SMS App.

Somebody please correct me if this is wrong
    What was/is that program that gives you a pop-up when you got a new email/sms? It seemed to have no problem accessing your messages, and I believe it had an option to mark as read. I tried it on my storm a while back, but it ran like crap. It was a pop-up similar to the Visual Voicemail pop-up. Cant remember the name of the program for the life of me...
    03-25-09 11:51 AM
    Palms threaded SMS is what I miss the most from my Treo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Me too. But there is always hope that this can be remedied in the future
    03-25-09 12:43 PM
    I'll drop 10 bones on this. Fabian... help!
    03-25-09 02:51 PM
    shoot count me down for 5bucks if anyone can make it better then the iphone, so i can show off my phone to those losers.
    03-25-09 02:56 PM
    I'm down for ONE MILLION GAZILLION FAFILLIAN DOLLARS *holds pinky up to his lips*
    03-29-09 11:16 AM
    Count me down for $5, this is a needed app that will make things much better. Preferably iPhone type style.

Thanks.
    03-29-09 11:46 AM
    I just need to ask a quick question, because I'm confused. My husband and I came from Palm Treos, and for the life of us we don't think that our Treos had the threaded SMS that others are saying it had. Was it because we had the Windows OS on our Treos instead of the Palm OS?
    03-29-09 09:25 PM
    I just need to ask a quick question, because I'm confused. My husband and I came from Palm Treos, and for the life of us we don't think that our Treos had the threaded SMS that others are saying it had. Was it because we had the Windows OS on our Treos instead of the Palm OS?
    Only the Palm OS Treos had threaded sms.
    03-29-09 09:29 PM
    Only the Palm OS Treos had threaded sms.
    Thank you. I thought I was going crazy. I also just read on the Web that Windows Mobile 6.1 had it, but I don't believe our Treos were running WinMo 6.1.
    03-29-09 09:30 PM
    Windows mobile 6.1 has it now too. DMG you up for making this?
    03-29-09 09:39 PM
111 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD