Hey there.

With the news of 4G coming out in 2009, I know some of you guys are psyched to see what 4G has to offer. Right now my WiFi is slower than 3G, and I run Optimum Online. But with 4G rolling out, my computer is going to be left in the dust. I hope to see some fast connectivity.

However, with 4G, there is also the fact of maybe having to upgrade your actual phone. I'm not pleased with that. But EVEN before 4G was ever mentioned on CrackBerry, my cousins and I were talking about the Storm, Bold and 3G service. My dad was also in the conversation, and he had stated that there will be a code leaked for 4G service on the Storm, Bold and all the other 3G devices.

I'm not sure, but this would be pretty wicked. I'm also having mixed feelings as the phone could lock itself, unless it was a pretty hardcore code. However, maybe the chip for 4G could be identical? Forgive me if I am wrong, I'm quite new to BB, and I hope I could get some answers for this important question.
    02-22-09 06:02 PM
    The international telecommunications regulatory and standardization bodies are working for commercial deployment of 4G networks roughly in the 2012-2015 time scale. At that point it is predicted that even with current evolutions of third generation 3G networks, these will tend to be congested.

All according to Wiki....

Seems like we have a little to wait, but I'm pretty happy w/ 3g
    02-22-09 06:58 PM
    By the time 4G is actually out for most of us it will be time for a new phone... Heck EVDO is not even fully deployed through the USA. 3G AT&T is in like what 5 major cities? Lol! EVDO will be what most of us will have for years and years to come...

Sorry... But USA is too big to catch up to the island of Japan... Seriously... We will always be behind! It's a deployment issue.

Also, I doubt 4G would be a software upgrade... Seems impossible considering the technology involved.
    02-22-09 07:00 PM
    excuse my noobness, but I thought EVDO = 3G??I could very well have been misinformed and don't care to Google it at this time

*Edit: I quit being lazy and hit up wikipedia

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks provides access to mobile devices with forward link air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for Rev. 0 can operate up to 153 kbit/s, while Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s. It was designed to be operated end-to-end as an IP based network, and so it can support any application which can operate on such a network and bit rate constraints.

3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony, video calls, and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Additional features also include HSPA data transmission capabilities able to deliver speeds up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink.

All according to Wikipedia

I see the error of my ways
    Last edited by jklevin; 02-22-09 at 07:10 PM.
    02-22-09 07:06 PM
    By the time 4G is actually out for most of us it will be time for a new phone... Heck EVDO is not even fully deployed through the USA. 3G AT&T is in like what 5 major cities? Lol! EVDO will be what most of us will have for years and years to come...

Sorry... But USA is too big to catch up to the island of Japan... Seriously... We will always be behind! It's a deployment issue.

Also, I doubt 4G would be a software upgrade... Seems impossible considering the technology involved.
    You are correct, we will not even reach full 3G saturation in the US before 4G is completely rolled out in Japan. You are also correct that 4G will require a hardware upgrade, I think Verizon's LTE implementation will be GSM based so a new chip will be required which means new hardware.

It's sad but once 4G hits we will again slice up the airwaves and let two different implementations of LTE fight it out from the major players of that day probably still AT&T and Verizon. Also since Sprint is still in love with Wi-Max and its evolution, there will be a 3rd competing technology.

In the end, we will have more choice, which is what us Americans seem to love, but things move at a snails pace because of it. Imagine if all carriers in the US united behind a single 4G technology and simply battled it out over features and price, we would get all those cool phones we only read about on Engadget and just maybe a small text message would cost less than .20 cents.....
    Last edited by armedtank; 02-22-09 at 07:18 PM.
    02-22-09 07:16 PM
    It's sad but once 4G hits we will again slice up the airwaves and let two different implementations of LTE fight it out from the major players of that day probably still AT&T and Verizon. Also since Sprint is still in love with Wi-Max and its evolution, there will be a 3rd competing technology.
    I think you might have that mixed up. I'm pretty certain every major company (in the US anyway) except for Sprint, will all be rolling out the same version of 4G LTE. I could be wrong though.
    02-22-09 07:43 PM
    I think you might have that mixed up. I'm pretty certain every major company (in the US anyway) except for Sprint, will all be rolling out the same version of 4G LTE. I could be wrong though.
    Nope, you are right, I just looked it up and I was wrong on that. I wonder if we will see true phone portability between the two networks?
    02-22-09 08:37 PM
    And something that hasn't been pointed out, is that LTE will require a whole new chip to process the signal. So unless the Storm came with a DSP that can do VZW's LTE in addition to EVDO and 1X, there's unlikely to be anything we can do.

Of course as someone stated, by the time LTE is up and going in any kind of usable way for most of us, we'll be salivating over some other phone that makes everything on the market today look like dog****.
    02-22-09 09:36 PM
    Im with you. We will be wanting some new amazing device. But apparently by 2010, we should by law be able to use any phone on any carrier. Is what I heard lol.
    02-22-09 09:44 PM
    Meh. I would prefer it if the networks got 3G right first, before they start beating their chests over the next generation. It's the Memory Stick all over again.

Companies shout about what they think they can do, then bring out something else to make it obsolete when it looks like it will be hard to deliver.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 08:50 AM
    Meh. I would prefer it if the networks got 3G right first, before they start beating their chests over the next generation. It's the Memory Stick all over again.
    But that's old hat, and we want shiny and new.
    02-23-09 10:42 AM
    But that's old hat, and we want shiny and new.
    True, true. But when they start introducing this new standard, what happens in the other areas? Do they pump all 2/2.5 areas up to 3, or do you end up with ridiculous variations in signal? And when the speeds don't match up, will they start talking about 'yeah, but wait til 5G!'

To be honest, 3g (and 4g) means increased download speeds from my perspective, and with the download size limit on BlackBerry, I have little use for it right now.
    02-23-09 10:53 AM
    with this new 4g my computer would be left in the dust. I think id prefer to tether my phone to computer and take advantage of that 100 mbit/s download and 50mbit/s upload
    02-23-09 10:53 AM
    well my storm doesnt have wifi.....
    02-23-09 11:01 AM
    True, true. But when they start introducing this new standard, what happens in the other areas? Do they pump all 2/2.5 areas up to 3, or do you end up with ridiculous variations in signal? And when the speeds don't match up, will they start talking about 'yeah, but wait til 5G!'
    Presumably they can kind of phase these all out like they did with analog phones. At some point they can just stop selling non-LTE phones, and then they can support the old phones for as long as the duration of the contracts, and then set a cutoff date a couple months after that when all those old 2/3G towers go silent. Then everyone's on the 4G network, and there's no need to support all this legacy equipment.

To be honest, 3g (and 4g) means increased download speeds from my perspective, and with the download size limit on BlackBerry, I have little use for it right now.
    But it's 4G, not just 3G! It's a higher number, so it MUST be better!
    02-23-09 11:58 AM
    I'm not too concerned about 4G. I live in a rural area and we JUST got our EVDO turned on a couple of months ago. If we have 4G within 5 years I'll be surprised.
    02-23-09 12:12 PM
    Ya I'm looking forward to 4G. Since verizon is rolling it out next year maybe my next phone will be 4G compatible... YES

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 12:26 PM
    Wow, there's a lot of bad info in this thread lol.

VZW will begin launching LTE next year but speeds will not hit the 50-100mbps that LTE is capable of at launch. Look for about 20mbps max with an average of about half that, which is still a huge increase over EVDO.

Carriers will not be required by law to have phones that can be moved to any network, not as of now anyway.

Carriers in the US could compete with Japanese carriers if they wanted, but the marketing model in America is vastly different because our companies aren't controlled quite as much by government. We roll out a feature and sell it until it doesn't sell anymore and then we move on to the next thing.

No phone that is on the market now is capable of 4G data that I'm aware of.

The beauty of LTE will not be only on your phone. You will be able to connect your laptop, phone, digital camera, refrigerator, etc. and access your devices from any coverage area. I can't wait but I'm also in a rural area so I'm looking at 2012 at the earliest.
    02-23-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD