that i'm not gonna host another leak on my server...
    12-28-08 01:18 PM
    Just seems everyone keeps having more and more issues with the updated/leaked OS's. I reverted back to .75 and I'm having NO problems. I really think I'll just wait until Verizon puts out the authorized update and then I'll load it. RIM obviously hasn't finished thoroughly testing these OS's before they get leaked. Too expensive a device to gamble with voiding the warranty. Maybe that's just the rookie in me. LOL You guys seem to really know your stuff and I've gotten TONS of great info from these forums...so thanks! )
    12-28-08 01:20 PM
    Okay today is the second day that I am running 4.7.0.85.

I had to do a battery pull because when I was checking an email the whole thing froze up.

Also with 4.7.0.85 it erased my serial number for Aerize Alerts, so I had to reapply the serial.

Well I will keep playing with it and post my findings here.
    12-28-08 01:21 PM
    Just seems everyone keeps having more and more issues with the updated/leaked OS's. I reverted back to .75 and I'm having NO problems. I really think I'll just wait until Verizon puts out the authorized update and then I'll load it. RIM obviously hasn't finished thoroughly testing these OS's before they get leaked. Too expensive a device to gamble with voiding the warranty. Maybe that's just the rookie in me. LOL You guys seem to really know your stuff and I've gotten TONS of great info from these forums...so thanks! )

Have you tried wiping your phone and then installing .85?
    12-28-08 01:22 PM
    to each his own...but you can always wipe and reinstall .75 if you need to
    12-28-08 01:24 PM
    A couple of problems have come up since upgrading from 0.83 to 0.85.

1. In doing the upgrade on DM the process took a long time (much longer than with 0.83 and when it got the end asked for a password. The phone is not password protected. I ended up trying to do a wipe with JL_Cmder which didn't work and finally wiped using " loader.exe /nojvm" command in a DOS windows. Then I was able to finally get 0.85 installed.

2. I've had the problem with Media Card message coming up on restart and then the Verizon screen requiring battery pull.

3. Twice I've gotten an "app error 523 RESET" message.

Anyone have any thoughts about what I should do next? Thanks!
    12-28-08 01:24 PM
    Anybody have issues with ringtones? It can play my songs but when I go to my ringtones folder (put 3 on my card in that folder) it shows no ringtones now.
    12-28-08 01:25 PM
    I turned on the phone this morning with no problems. I had one calendar alert waiting for me which I dismissed. Now when I try to play any video, I get the error message that "Cannot play media while alert is active." Since there are no active alerts, this is a new bug.

Also, last night I experienced my first hang at the Verizon screen while turning off. When I did a battery pull I got my first media card error that required a battery pull with the media card removed.

I have used every operating system since the Storm came out and this one is just about as buggy as .83, just a different set of bugs for me.
    12-28-08 01:25 PM
    Okay today is the second day that I am running 4.7.0.85.

I had to do a battery pull because when I was checking an email the whole thing froze up.

Also with 4.7.0.85 it erased my serial number for Aerize Alerts, so I had to reapply the serial.

Well I will keep playing with it and post my findings here.

Try turning the network technology to 1xev by going to:

options, mobile network, network technology...

This was a huge fix for my phone. But you will need to pull the battery first and then remove the sim card. Once that is done replace the battery and follow the above steps. After that you can replace the sim card and you should be fine.
    12-28-08 01:26 PM
    I turned on the phone this morning with no problems. I had one calendar alert waiting for me which I dismissed. Now when I try to play any video, I get the error message that "Cannot play media while alert is active." Since there are no active alerts, this is a new bug.

Also, last night I experienced my first hang at the Verizon screen while turning off. When I did a battery pull I got my first media card error that required a battery pull with the media card removed.

I have used every operating system since the Storm came out and this one is just about as buggy as .83, just a different set of bugs for me.
    pull the battery
    12-28-08 01:28 PM
    Well for the first time since getting my phone, I am having software issues after an upgrade. I went to .85 yesterday and it was screaming in every way. By this morning, it was crawling. Slow to respond, screen never went dark, memory dropped to the lowest it's been in quite a while. Finally, the Accelerometer was 2 seconds slow and it wouldn't turn off without a battery pull.

I did load Viigo and Google Maps so it could be one of them. I'll remove them one at a time and see if that seems to fix the problem and report back late this evening.
    12-28-08 01:32 PM

PS Turning the phone on and off cleared the problem. No battery pull. However, I did find one video that I shot last night at the Emerald Bowl that gives me the error message that the media is an unsupported format...Nice since I shot the video with the Storm. This is a new error for me but not a new error in general.
    12-28-08 01:32 PM
    Does anyone have an opinion on the grid layout being on anything other than default and the device freezing up at verizon logo...whether they seem to be related.
    12-28-08 01:35 PM
    RS & Neo...I did reload .75 and its just fine now. I never loaded .85 after having issues with .83. .83 wasn't bad at all...then a week later it went crazy. I wiped it...reloaded .75 and I think I'm jut going to leave it that way for now. I'll keep reading these posts and decide later on whether to try to load .85 or not.
    12-28-08 01:36 PM
    Does anyone have an opinion on the grid layout being on anything other than default and the device freezing up at verizon logo...whether they seem to be related.
    not related at all...
    12-28-08 01:36 PM
    RS & Neo...I did reload .75 and its just fine now. I never loaded .85 after having issues with .83. .83 wasn't bad at all...then a week later it went crazy. I wiped it...reloaded .75 and I think I'm jut going to leave it that way for now. I'll keep reading these posts and decide later on whether to try to load .85 or not.
    i had problems with .83 too, you should try out .85 it is more stable IMO
    12-28-08 01:45 PM
    Must be my lucky coincidence....not going to complain...whatever happened to make it stop freezing constantly I will take...though does anyone know why the think does freeze up in the first place?
    12-28-08 01:46 PM
    Updated OS to .85 yesterday. Per other posters a noticeable improvement in response times; especially when typing.

Note: I did not do a clean install on .85. I just overlaid .75.

Process I used to update to .85 (Windows Vista):
    1> Downloaded update file.
    2> Disconnected from Internet (I didn't read the How-To at first and was connected to the Internet which caused the update to fail).
    3> Connected 9530 and ran update file.

Once the BB had finished updating I confirmed functionality by:
    1> Checking various sites in the BB Browser.
    2> Sending an SMS successfully to my wife's Pearl.
    3> Emailing (BIS) from my BB to my gmail.
    4> Performing an update channels on Viigo (v 3.0.710)
    5> Made a phone call to my home landline.
    6> Took a photo and sent it as an MMS to my wife.

After installation:
    • Viigo 3.0.710: Works fine and updates channels.
    • Google Sync: Would not sync until I did a battery pull - at which point it was ok.
    • Transitions and application switching appears to be faster - though I haven't performed any timed performance tests - just IMO.
    • Camera appears to be a tad more responsive (again just IMO).

All in all, I'm very happy with the update. It's a pity this version wasn't available prior to release - I do understand how sometimes Marketing trumps IT sometimes.

I'll be testing the Voice Dialing with my Aliph Jawbone 2 tomorrow just to see if it's any different.
    Last edited by bbsean; 12-28-08 at 01:53 PM.
    12-28-08 01:47 PM
    Must be my lucky coincidence....not going to complain...whatever happened to make it stop freezing constantly I will take...though does anyone know why the think does freeze up in the first place?
    mine was the 1xev not selected as far as i can tell
    12-28-08 01:47 PM
    I'm going to keep reading all these posts and then maybe later this week I'll get up the courage to load .85! LOL I do want to load it to try it out. And I do appreciate all the feedback. This really is a great resource...especially for us newbies! )
    12-28-08 01:53 PM
    Mine is running pretty solid. Not sure why some are having problems. I hated .83 because of all of the freezes, inability to turn it off, media card freezes (which seemed to be solved by pulling the card and reinstalling it), splash screen lockups....etc...So far, I haven't seen any of this with .85.

It is very easy to revert back to an older OS if that's what you eventually want to do. If the next official release is .85....then it won't be any different that what we're using on this leak. Appears to be a decent chance this will be the next official. Why wait? Now, if the next official is something other than .85, we'll all be downloading a new leak. LOL. And that just might happen because Crucial or some other tester has a buried post in another thread that he is already using a version upgraded from .85.

So, here we go.....again.
    12-28-08 01:55 PM
    Mine is running pretty solid. Not sure why some are having problems. I hated .83 because of all of the freezes, inability to turn it off, media card freezes (which seemed to be solved by pulling the card and reinstalling it), splash screen lockups....etc...So far, I haven't seen any of this with .85.

It is very easy to revert back to an older OS if that's what you eventually want to do. If the next official release is .85....then it won't be any different that what we're using on this leak. Appears to be a decent chance this will be the next official. Why wait? Now, if the next official is something other than .85, we'll all be downloading a new leak. LOL. And that just might happen because Crucial or some other tester has a buried post in another thread that he is already using a version upgraded from .85.

So, here we go.....again.

That's kind of funny. I loaded .83 and ran it for a few weeks w/o a problem. Once .85 came out I of course loaded it and ran into huge issues. But after installing it three times it works great for me. The best fix was to change the network technology setting to 1xev.
    12-28-08 02:03 PM
    ok close to 30 hours on .85 no reboots, or random shut downs, no vzw screen. and not one battery pull. that was one of my main complaints. still kinda slow going to portrait from landscape, have not seen a change on that, but it might be do to the picture i have for the background
    12-28-08 02:05 PM
    That's kind of funny. I loaded .83 and ran it for a few weeks w/o a problem. Once .85 came out I of course loaded it and ran into huge issues. But after installing it three times it works great for me. The best fix was to change the network technology setting to 1xev.
    somebody ran a poll and it was a weird split.
    1/3 had no prob, 1/3 had major prob, and 1/3 had little prob.
    12-28-08 02:06 PM
    my accel is about a half a sec now. nice improvement
    12-28-08 02:08 PM
1,881 ... 3839404142 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD