VVM seems to work here I did have re-enter my voice mail PIN
    I re entered my pin too. It allowed me to login to my Visual VM but if I manually checked for updated messages it gave me an error message. I called my voicemail and had 3 new messages. It was working before .85

I will continue testing.
    12-27-08 04:57 PM
    mine is not going away. the white box is there everytime i go to the home screen in potrait.

and what is mercury poisoning?
    Too much sushi
    12-27-08 05:00 PM
    Did an uninstall/reinstall with the Visual VM. Works properly again.

Still get the Verizon Screen at bootup when I have my media card inserted.

Other than that I am loving .85... Definitely quicker in all aspects for me.
    12-27-08 05:01 PM
    Too much sushi
    ari rules dude. nobody can touch him...not even me!
    12-27-08 05:04 PM
    lets see .85 is a leak so its not officially released by verizon so if your VVM is messed up with .85 thats your fault verizon cant help you
    12-27-08 05:07 PM
    Pull your sim card out, leave it out and see if it doesn't improve.
    After you pull the sim, do a *22899
    Trying it now. It seems to stay on EVDO more now. It is still going to 1X, but it seems to be staying EVDO more than 1X now. I'll have to try it over the next day to see if it stays that way, hopefully it does. Thanks for the suggestion.
    12-27-08 05:08 PM
    i left myself 2 diff voice mails from 2 diff phones and recieved both instantly only problem i have is the light flashing it went away but now its back while im on the phone talking heh
    12-27-08 05:09 PM
    now google sync wont work
    Works for me
    12-27-08 05:12 PM
    Hi everyone, this is my first post, and this was my first try on upgrading the new system... love it. thanks for the easy instructions on how to... really like this website, its so useful and everyone is very helpful.
    12-27-08 05:12 PM
    Hi guys, Blackberry and Crackberry newb here chiming in with my findings from the .85 upgrade!

I only ever used .75 which my Storm shipped with, so all comparisons are to that build:

-Browser is MUCH, MUCH better. It no longer chokes on moderately complex pages, and is able to render truly complex ones decently faithfully, though it takes some time. It absolutely flys on WAP sites. WiFi speeds for the most part.

-Interface lag is slightly decreased over all.

-Camera is quite a bit better, wait between button press and picture actually being taken is much decreased, though it's still a little longer than I'd like.

-I have more memory available now than previously. With .75 I generally had 20mb and sometimes it would dip to 10mb, though I'd never really notice a performance hit. Now it sits at around ~30mb free. This still seems lower than what others are noticing... wonder if it's something I need to set differently?

-I never had the media card/Verizon splash screen problem before, but I got it after this update :\ Only happened once, and 1 battery pull fixed it... but now I'm a little nervous this will happen again when I need to use the phone.

-Also I had a hard freeze while using AIM and the screen turned off due to activity. I tried to wake the device and the interface was totally frozen, unresponsive to presses and the accelerometer. The LED indicator continued to function, though.

Overall extremely pleased with the update. Just makes the device feel like a more smooth-operating machine in general. I hope my few bugs will be flukes and it will continue to operate this good!
    12-27-08 05:16 PM
    Did the update from .75 and it seems considerably faster in every way. So glad the accelerometer is working faster. that was my biggest complaint from before.

I have around 39MB free and have NEVER seen above this on my phone. With .75 I would have 31MB so there is a memory usage improvement as well.

Also, I still don't see how removing non-running apps is going to speed up the Storm in any way. Why do people keep recommending this as a method to improve overall system speed? If it's not running, then it's not utilizing the system processor or memory allocation. Is RIM somehow making these things work in ways that differ from EVERY other RAM/processor/storage based platform device on the planet?
    12-27-08 05:25 PM
    Also, I still don't see how removing non-running apps is going to speed up the Storm in any way. Why do people keep recommending this as a method to improve overall system speed? If it's not running, then it's not utilizing the system processor or memory allocation. Is RIM somehow making these things work in ways that differ from EVERY other RAM/processor/storage based platform device on the planet?
    There are two basis for the recomendations, some aps do run in the background (VZ apps for example), so removing them helps. In general removing apps frees up memory on the device (as opposed to the media card) and that gives the remaining apps more room to play ....
    12-27-08 05:30 PM
    Is there any improvement on battery life in the new OS? It seems after little usage on .75 my phone seems to very quickly tumble into the red.
    By any chance are you running TwitterBerry and have updates with regular intervals? This was my issue, I had it update every minute. Phone unplugged 10am around 1pm battery was almost DEAD!!! Changed update interval to manual and battery last me almost a day now .

But I got it replaced after just incase haha
    12-27-08 05:32 PM
    Has anyone tested the GPS or Nav4all with .85 yet?
    12-27-08 05:36 PM
    So far excellent with the .85 upgrade..I havent had a chance to really play around with the battery life but alone going from .75 to .83 was amazing so I can only look forward from here.

Portrait to landscape is extremely faster, applications seems to pull up faster, camera seems faster, so far I am more then happy with the upgrade, thanks you guys.

I'll let you know if I experiance any issues with any applications I use or anything else.

Thanks again,

Joshua
    12-27-08 05:38 PM
    Has anyone tested the GPS or Nav4all with .85 yet?
    Works fine, have been using last couple days no problem.

There is also a new updated version, I just downloaded it today. Well I think its new. I see new language files and new voices.

Build is 8.0.78

Not sure if it was the same before, but there is new voice and language files specific to USA.
    12-27-08 05:39 PM
    HELP... I'm a BES user trying to upgrade to .85. I have followed the instructions on how to load a Leaked OS, but DM tell me there are no new upgrades? I disconnected from interest etc.. no luck.. and suggestions??
    12-27-08 05:44 PM
    so so everyone knows ,,,,, i finially got it to work thanks don and cx lol ...
    Yaaaay! I knew you could do it.
    12-27-08 05:46 PM
    HELP... I'm a BES user trying to upgrade to .85. I have followed the instructions on how to load a Leaked OS, but DM tell me there are no new upgrades? I disconnected from interest etc.. no luck.. and suggestions??

Make sure you *uncheck* the box that say's to automatically check for updates when using DM.
    12-27-08 05:57 PM
    Thanks everyone, I have not played with it to notice much change yet.
    12-27-08 06:04 PM
    I upgraded to .76 and .83 when they came out. Everything worked fine except enterprise server with my Company. It kept kicking me off of it. Any way to get .85 without having to call my techs and have them reset my enterprise info. Its not that big of a deal, but theyll probably get tired of me calling.
    12-27-08 06:14 PM
    Make sure you *uncheck* the box that say's to automatically check for updates when using DM.
    Where is that box I need to uncheck? I can't seem to find it lol
    12-27-08 06:14 PM
    I upgraded to .76 and .83 when they came out. Everything worked fine except enterprise server with my Company. It kept kicking me off of it. Any way to get .85 without having to call my techs and have them reset my enterprise info. Its not that big of a deal, but theyll probably get tired of me calling.
    I am a BES admin and I had to resend the activation password wait 30 min putt the battery because it got stuck at 82% and now it works great.
    12-27-08 06:19 PM
    .75 to .85 runs much smother had no probs with the install and no freezing
    12-27-08 06:23 PM
    Still memory leaks on .85 but not as bad. Been on it all day, lost about 6mb and all I've done is text message.
    12-27-08 06:25 PM
1,881 ... 2627282930 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD