OK my observations:

Much better response than .65 or .75, a little better than .76 (I never had the .83)

Have had my Storm since Dec 9th and even with .65 I didn't have a lot of the problems others had (but I did upgrade to .75 pretty soon after I had it, within 4 hours)

During upgrade I had absolutely no problems. There was one issue, the upgrade took longer than it should have because of the auto lock (5 mins). I didn't realize it until after a couple of stalls, but the install routine will just wait and wait and wait on (for example) installing applications etc, if the device has gone into lock mode. When I unlocked it, it zipped right through things.

It backed up everything and has seemed to restore all the apps and settings. Am checking to make sure of everything.

I did not have to do a battery pull or mem chip re-install at all (so far).

One issue I had with .76 was lockup if receive a call when using the video cam. Had to reboot around that. I never could answer the phone or continue using the video cam. Not sure if the issue would occur if using just the regular camera. Too late to try it now.

Will test this on .85 as soon as I can.

All in all, very happy with this non-official release. If they keep making these incrementals this good, by the time we get to 4.8 the Storm will/should definitely compete much better against the iPhone. Not a killer, but a good competitor.
    12-30-08 04:50 PM
    I have to be honest, I have not downloaded nor installed it yet as I was nervous about installing the software update and having major problems and not being able to fix them. I have only downloaded a few 3rd party apps so thats not a problem.

I will do the download and install the .85 now and give it a go!
    i definitely think its worth ti...best build available...
    12-30-08 04:51 PM
    It is def. worth it. You pretty much can't do anything that cannot be fixed. There are a lot of people on here that have helped people who run into problems.
    I agree, there is not reason to be nervous about upgrading to .85. I think it is the best build by far.
    12-30-08 05:02 PM
    Well upon everyones advice.....the download has started!!! IM SO EXCITED!!!!
    12-30-08 05:13 PM
    good luck..let us know if you run into problems
    12-30-08 05:15 PM
    Can anyone tell me where I can find .76 to download. I currently upgraded to .85 and I'm not happy with it. Just dont know where to find the original OS it came with.
    Thanks
    12-30-08 05:30 PM
    Can anyone tell me where I can find .76 to download. I currently upgraded to .85 and I'm not happy with it. Just dont know where to find the original OS it came with.
    Thanks
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...646D38BC2145CA
    12-30-08 05:36 PM
    Anybody have issues with startup? Randomly when I turn the phone on, it just sits on the VZW screen for quite awhile. When it does it, I get the little clock thing and you can see the signal indicator doing something, but it never goes to the home screen. I just eventually pull the battery. Other than that, I haven't had any major issues. Any ideas?
    12-30-08 05:37 PM
    Anybody have issues with startup? Randomly when I turn the phone on, it just sits on the VZW screen for quite awhile. When it does it, I get the little clock thing and you can see the signal indicator doing something, but it never goes to the home screen. I just eventually pull the battery. Other than that, I haven't had any major issues. Any ideas?
    thats the verizon screen that people have been talking about and is a known glitch
    12-30-08 05:38 PM
    I see. Thanks. Does it ever go to the home screen, or am I stuck pulling the battery?
    12-30-08 05:42 PM
    it should go to the home screen, but some have gotten stuck on that screen and have to pull the battery
    12-30-08 05:44 PM
    i put .85 back on my phone.. first i wiped, then reinstalled everything ater the fact. didnt take that long at all. i changed every setting to make sure it was optimal as far as all the other posts recommended. finally i formatted the media card after all else was done. reloaded pics, vids, and rings. and the phone is ridiculous good right now. i have a couple apps. i have 16 launchers.. everything is great. not sure about battery life. i only had the phone for 2 days with .75 before getting .83, and now .85 i will keep everyone updated if any problems occur
    12-30-08 05:49 PM
    I upgraded to .85 last night and I am so happy I did. It works great in the first 24 hour so far. Had some small errors but a battery pull fixed it. Nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by polar135; 12-30-08 at 05:52 PM.
    12-30-08 05:50 PM
    When do you recommend a wipe on the phone. I upgraded to .85 from .76 and not completely satisified with it. Will a wipe help increase speed on the device. I have read alot of posts of people doing wipes and their phone is so much better.
    12-30-08 05:52 PM
    good luck..let us know if you run into problems
    No worries there, if I have any problems I will be sure to seek advice!
    12-30-08 05:55 PM
    Max app memory after reboot is 45.1mb on my device. Others have reported 50 +
    I do have some apps I downloaded from w w w.getjar.com could there be one of those using up some mem? Anyone know a good free util that will show mem allocation?
    12-30-08 05:58 PM
    I didn't wipe the OS before but I did a clean install of the DM on my laptop. After that I ran the .85 program and I was in business. Good Luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by polar135; 12-30-08 at 06:01 PM.
    12-30-08 05:58 PM
    jus updated! was very easy and didnt take as long as i expected! the new OS is much quicker. im glad i didnt wait till the official release! for everyone whos thinking about upgrading but is second guessing themselves, go for it, its worth it!
    12-30-08 06:09 PM
    I got the partial white screen today for the first time on any OS. Just as a test, I did a screen lock/unlock. The white screen was gone. No battery pull required.
    12-30-08 06:11 PM
    jus updated! was very easy and didnt take as long as i expected! the new OS is much quicker. im glad i didnt wait till the official release! for everyone whos thinking about upgrading but is second guessing themselves, go for it, its worth it!
    Ditto! Just finished mine... really quick - no problems!
    12-30-08 06:26 PM
    When do you recommend a wipe on the phone. I upgraded to .85 from .76 and not completely satisified with it. Will a wipe help increase speed on the device. I have read alot of posts of people doing wipes and their phone is so much better.
    I have done it without a wipe and with a wipe. Could just be me but I feel its always better to wipe.
    12-30-08 06:37 PM
    Well I have just completed the update on my Storm also, and I have no complaints either, but then again its only been running for about 10 min
    12-30-08 06:42 PM
    First impression is my .85 is a less buggy than .83. My camera is definitely quicker. I lost the ability to use the mute/vibrate button to switch the profile to vibrate in lock mode. I tried a battery pull but no luck. I guess we'll see. Overall, it seems to running more efficiently after playing with it for the last hour or so.
    I'm about here as well. lost the ability to change to vibrate when locked now, some bugs that wen away with batt pulls(screen never went to sleep, mem card error, etc)

It's a bit faster overall.
    12-30-08 06:43 PM
    hey! i just got my blackberry for christmas, and saw .85 and decided to try it out. I just got it on successfully after building the nerve to do it, but now that its on it said that my theme's signature was invalid and wouldn't reinstall it, so now its on some really crappy basic set up. is there any way to reinstall my theme without going back to .75/ re installing .85? to clarify, i used the basic zen theme that came with it.
    12-30-08 06:50 PM
    i updated yesterday to .85 and i no longer have blackberry messenger. is this happening to other people, also when i try to download it, it doesnt allow me too. is it possible to restore back to .75??? thanks in advance!!
    12-30-08 06:55 PM
1,881 ... 5758596061 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD