Question I have about operating system...Last night was reading all the posts from the guys who were testing .85 didn't see anything about lockups and other bugs...some reports of functions that weren't there like in .83 Now I am not questioning anyone....just wondering if they experienced any of the same lockup issues after messing with the new OS for a day....if not wondering what the difference is and how I can get it to stop freezing on me.
    12-27-08 10:15 PM
    OK, I've upgraded to .85 only to have the Media Card / Verizon Splash screen lockup, just as I did in .83.

Before my initial battery pull after the upgrade (Clean wipe from .75 using JLCmdr) the OS seemed pretty snappy (BEFORE THE FIRST BATTERY PULL which is cool). I've done multiple battery pulls and media card removal (reinserts once booted) and can get it to go away........until I power off the phone and wait a few and power it back on.

I've finally confirmed something that I suspected when I had this issue with .83. I can get this bug to happen every time if I leave the radio ON before powering down. However, (and I just confirmed this twice). If I turn the radio OFF BEFORE powering down, then when I power on, it comes up no problem.

After doing this twice, I simply turned the radio back on, powered down, and here my Storm sits locked on the Verizon splash screen once again.

The reason I suspected it having to do with the radio is that sometimes when locked on the splash screen, you actually see the up/download arrows in the upper right active.

I'm afraid I may not want to disable the radio each time I power off, so I may revert back to .75. However, the positives with .85 (snappier typing, portrait to landscape and back, much faster) may just be enough to deal with the extra step of turning off the radio each time I power down.

I just looked over to the locked splash screen, which has been on most of time I've been typing this post, and noticed that the arrows are stick flickering every once in a while.

Very interesting..........

Thus far my OS changes have been:
    .65 > .75 Leaked > .75 Official > .83 Leaked > .75 Official (Couldn't deal with the media / splash bug > .85 Leaked

Is your sim card still installed? Take it out.
    That's your common denominator <--(WOTD)..
    UPDATE: I did as fonebrkr suggested and removed the Sim Card. At first it seemed to resolve the "media card inserted / removed" / splash screen locked bug, but it didn't. If doing a battery pull (or using SoftReset) you need to remove the media card and pull the battery restart and put it back in. This resolves the media card bug (until you have to do a SoftReset or battery pull again).

However, the only way to ensure that you don't get locked on the Verizon splash screen when you power off / back on is to shut the radio off. Believe me, I've powered off / on with the radio on, and can guarantee the splash screen bug EVERY time. With the radio off, I can guarantee that the splash screen goes away each time I power on / off. I've lost count how many times I've tested this.

Not sure I'll keep .85, but thus far I love how snappy the accelerometer and typing is. Haven't made / received calls yet. I finally put the SIM card back in, as it has no effect either way on the Verizon splash screen bug. Shutting the radio off before powering down fixes it though......but then you have to hassle with starting the radio each time you power on.

Not sure it's worth it or not yet.
    Last edited by mrohlinger; 12-27-08 at 10:30 PM.
    12-27-08 10:28 PM
    Voice Notes in .85 still broken.

IE. Stop errors (White screen with "STOP")
    and after recording notes, they do not appear in the notes list to be played back, you have to explore to them.

Oh well.. Back to .75 I use Voice notes for work.
    I too am having problems with voice notes. I can record, then hit the stop button. But, when it goes to the list of voice notes, the newly recorded notes are not listed.

HOWEVER, I can then hook the phone up to the computer and open the SD card folder and all of the voice notes are there. The phone only sees the two I recorded on .76 software, but I have seven additional that I recorded today actually residing on the card that I can access from the computer only.

Weird.
    12-27-08 10:35 PM
    I was in error I do have sim card lockup on screen I have decided to reload 4.7.0.75 and hope Verizon's update when it's official will be fixed for sim card screen lock error
    12-27-08 10:37 PM
    I was in error I do have sim card lockup on screen I have decided to reload 4.7.0.75 and hope Verizon's update when it's official will be fixed for sim card screen lock error
    There is no differnece between the beta and the official update.
    12-27-08 10:44 PM
    CX I understand that maybe I should have said wait for Verizon to post what ever they decide to there own site. and hope its got a fix for sim card screen problem, it's great all the work you have done, CX you're the best.
    Last edited by kenwebb; 12-27-08 at 10:49 PM.
    12-27-08 10:46 PM
    .85/.83 both unexpectedly stop my push email and make me do a reset just to get it working again dunno whats up with that
    12-27-08 10:48 PM
    jkunk when we used the beta not actually posted from Verizon's site we take the chance of something being off and I understand this so it does not bother me all that much I had to go back .75, I can now wait for what ever Verizon decide to be their update the fact that this site and people like CX keep use in the loop is wonderful
    Last edited by kenwebb; 12-27-08 at 10:59 PM.
    12-27-08 10:53 PM
    where do you find that app?
    12-27-08 11:02 PM
    i just upgraded from 83 to 85.... i really dont think it is anything special i dont really notice any difference besides a little faster typing responses and a bit faster accelerometer.. camera is no better...
    12-27-08 11:06 PM
    Nope...camera is still garbage...not looking for telephoto lense quality...just click and shoot...not too much to ask for...and please...can we get auto focus option on future upgrades....don't need auto focus all the time...it's a camera phone.
    12-27-08 11:10 PM
    i hate how the flash is on for like 5 seconds.. than goes away than comes back again that is so dumb
    12-27-08 11:12 PM
    Wow that sucks... my camera is working MUCH better than before (.83)

It's actually what I would consider usable at this point.
    12-27-08 11:13 PM
    my camera takes sharp and clear photos and while not fast, is a lot better than .76 speed-wise.

The ONLY problem I'm having now, like many others, is the "media card inserted" error. The strange thing is that once I get by it, all subsequent reboots are okay (using SoftReset), but if I had to physically pull the battery and it gets stuck, then I"ll have to continue pulling it until it goes away.

RIM... please fix this for your next firmware.
    12-27-08 11:21 PM
    installed .85 on my phone and my Dads (got his today and installed straight from .65) and they are both running real solid right now
    12-28-08 12:02 AM
    I am a first time poster and I just did the update two problems i have seen so far when in contacts and you try to switch from portrait to landscape accelerometer is very slow and also i cannot get attachments to open. It says downloaded but wont let you view it
    12-28-08 12:03 AM
    I am a first time poster and I just did the update two problems i have seen so far when in contacts and you try to switch from portrait to landscape accelerometer is very slow and also i cannot get attachments to open. It says downloaded but wont let you view it
    with the attachments, click on it again to open it...also, do you have blackberry attachment services installed?
    12-28-08 12:04 AM
    I absolutly love the fact that the reboot time after a soft reset doesn't take like 7 minutes. This update was well worth it. No media card issue. Loads faster. The loading of programs load faster, Accelerometer is faster and more accurate, the typing has been keeping up with me for once. Man I love this update. I can't wait till I really break it in.
    12-28-08 12:20 AM
    Updated to .85 from .83 and it was working fine. Just did soft reset and now i am getting famous "Media card inserted" hang. Did battery pull and no luck. Never happened this on any updates other than .85
    12-28-08 12:21 AM
    I hope I don't get in trouble for this but I have to ask you Don. How much pressure did that last leak you hosted put on your servers? I would assume these leaks as a whole would really take a toll on your bandwidth. I have been wondering that since you put it in your signature or whatever you want to call it.
    12-28-08 12:21 AM
    After upgrading to .85 release my camera stop working all together. Anyone else have this issues or know how to fix it.

When I try to start the camera app I get this error. "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."

It will do this right after a batter pull and no other apps running. I'm kinda stuck on what to do next as I am pretty new to the BB community.

Thanks,
    Joey
    12-28-08 12:23 AM
    That is totally crazy. I never had it happen to me until .83 and now it is gone and the reload times are much faster. I think they are saying to do a reboot without the card inserted. Take it out reboot and then put it in. I believe that has been what has fixed the issue for others on this site.
    Last edited by crackberryhor; 12-28-08 at 12:27 AM.
    12-28-08 12:23 AM
    Works much better than .83 did for me.
    12-28-08 12:25 AM
    I hope I don't get in trouble for this but I have to ask you Don. How much pressure did that last leak you hosted put on your servers? I would assume these leaks as a whole would really take a toll on your bandwidth. I have been wondering that since you put it in your signature or whatever you want to call it.
    HUGE toll...ran outta bandwidth and had to fork out some money to keep my site going...thankfully, some other the other members helped me out with that
    12-28-08 12:26 AM
    Good God no wonder you have said you most likely won't host another leak. Well I never said it before so let me thank you for that leak.
    12-28-08 12:29 AM
1,881 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD