That is my OS. Now, do I need to update and if so, how? Better yet, how do I know when I need to update? I am in a fodg lately, so forgive me is this is basic knowledge.
    05-20-09 09:22 AM
    Well you can sign up for a few things that alerts you to the newest happenings with your blackberry. (or just keep checking here.)

The OS you have is only one Verizon OFFICIALLY has out, but as you can see when you snoop around, there are a lot of leaked ones.
    DonN just leaked .148 for Verizon, but do remember if they aren't released officially, then YOU run the risk of upgrading/downgrading.

To check to see if there is an update for your phone, just navigate to OPTIONS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>WIRELESS UPGRADE and see if there is one.
    05-20-09 09:28 AM
    in addition to what was posted by oI, i woudl take the time to read over the following thread and make sure you understand everything and the risks and process involved before you jump into it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/n0...source-213706/
    05-20-09 09:51 AM
    What are the free things I can sign up for?

I don't want to go to an OS that is not official, geesh, I can't even keep my memory above 10Mb!! ;-) Anyway, I just want to stay in the know.
    05-20-09 10:01 AM
    above 10? ouch. im at 50.

did you delete things you dont use daily, like help, memo pad, tasks, password keeper, the games and such?

this will help clear up space.
    05-20-09 10:07 AM
    I thought those resided on the device memory and not the app memory. Neverending debate I suppose. I thought app memory was for when apps run and device memory is where the program is stored?

As far as the updates, how do I sign up?
    05-20-09 10:21 AM
    You can sign up on verizon website for the updates for OS/
    05-20-09 10:29 AM
    Thanks!Now, about that app memory issue...
    05-20-09 10:42 AM
    yes ring, the memory issues, try what i stated above, clear out your programs that your not using. also make sure you dont have texts store from forever ago, as well as emails.

also, do you have a memory card?!
    05-20-09 11:58 AM
    above 10? ouch. im at 50.

did you delete things you dont use daily, like help, memo pad, tasks, password keeper, the games and such?

this will help clear up space.
    how do you delete these things dream... for us new guys

Thanks

Tim
    05-20-09 12:03 PM
    What are the free things I can sign up for?

I don't want to go to an OS that is not official, geesh, I can't even keep my memory above 10Mb!! ;-) Anyway, I just want to stay in the know.
    Lololol

the reason you upgrade to a leaked/hybrid would be exactly to:

-increase that memory (through shrinking/better memory management)
    -increase camera responsiveness
    -increase accelerometer speed
    -reduce keyboard lag
    -get portrait qwerty keyboard

Basically, upgrading will make your phone better.
    now I know you may be thinking, my phone works well, why do i need to update?
    There might not be anything wrong with your phone atm, but with an upgrade, it'll be even better.

bricking one's phone is nigh impossible, unless you turn off your computer or trip over the usb cord.
    And in the event that you do, you just repeat the process, but then try not to trip over the usb cable the next time.

I'm just saying all this in advance because i've been in a pointless argument with some people that guarantee that .75 is just as good as .113 higher.
    it might run well, but . . . . <.113 is just better.

I'd try it -- look into the stickies at the top of the Storm OS Discussion thread (this one).

EDIT:
    Plus, you end up with constant 50+ memory with no lockups or reboots.
    ****, my phone has not rebooted a single time since I've upgraded.
    05-20-09 01:12 PM
    RingFinger, my friend was very hesitant like you with upgrading to a leaked OS. I took his phone did it and put it back. While we were out at a party he looks at me and says "Dude for some reason my phone seems like its 100X better then it was earlier"

I told him what I did and he asks me almost every week if there is a new leaked OS out.

You will be very happy with your phone once you upgrade.
    05-20-09 01:26 PM
    I'll give it a try. I have never seen memory above 35, so 50 would be a treat but i wont get my hopes up.

Again, if the program is not running, how can an app use memory other than device memory? Therein lies my confusion.
    05-20-09 02:33 PM
    Therein lies the confusion about the Storm.
    05-20-09 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD