someone posted in the pricing thread, they were told they would be moving to 3yr locks for this phone.

3yr contracts?! Are you F'ing kidding me?!

i don't mind the initial steep price tag, but a 3yr contract?!

any other confirmations or thoughts on that?!

I can see a 3yr lock if they were giving the phone away, or for like $99 or something ... but $500 (rumored) AND a 3yr lock?!
    10-21-08 06:12 PM
    someone posted in the pricing thread, they were told they would be moving to 3yr locks for this phone.

I can see a 3yr lock if they were giving the phone away, or for like $99 or something ... but $500 (rumored) AND a 3yr lock?!
    If it is that much and a 3year contract then that's kind of crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 06:16 PM

My contract is up in January I think so I can safely say that if they are going to pull something like that I'll wait until january and see if they release the Touch Pro, in which case I'll move to another carrier if they don't. If they want to attract iPhone users, you need to compare to their current device/contract price, not first gen price.

I'm betting $199-$299 + 2Yr is going to be where it's at. $400 + 2Yrs would probably sell at an acceptable pace to business users/prosumers, but it wouldn't appeal to consumers, and thus they would probably lose their exclusivity in the US to another carrier due to a lack of volume.
    10-21-08 06:24 PM

Yea that was me, I went by the store today and the guy seemed confident that it would be a 3 year contract. He was as surprised as I was, but he said that is what was stated in a memo he got 3 days ago, along with the Nov. 9th date and the $449 pricetag...
    10-21-08 06:39 PM
    If Telus locks it to a 3 year contract I will be angry. I've already been locked into one 3 year contract and that was more then enough for me. Hate being locked down. The ECF is my real problem. $20 x the number of months remaining.
    10-21-08 06:43 PM
    Yea that was me, I went by the store today and the guy seemed confident that it would be a 3 year contract. He was as surprised as I was, but he said that is what was stated in a memo he got 3 days ago, along with the Nov. 9th date and the $449 pricetag...
    Perhaps the $449 pricetag was the full retail price? I'd hate to see what the full retail is if $449 was the alleged subsidized 3-year price.
    10-21-08 06:47 PM
    if this phone is 500, although the amount of technology put into this phone, i really don't think ill be buying it for awhile, that just pisses me off. i really hope verizon doesn't do something stupid and caters more to the consumer then its shareholders
    10-21-08 06:47 PM

Verizon employees have received NO information about the release date on the Storm or any pricing to go along with it for that matter. We won't know about pricing untill the phone is ready to launch, and I'm sure there are more people in this forum that will know about pricing before some of our "informed employees". Plus, Verizon would be ******** if they put a phone out for $449 with a 3 year contract. HAHAHAHA I wouldn't even waste my time trying to sell it..

As far as the release date goes, all I heard was November 16th (push back from the 9th) from a Data Consultant who was in Waterloo last week.
    10-21-08 06:48 PM
    3 year contract would be a no sale for me, no matter how much I want this phone. If this were to happen I would entertain the option of doing a full retail purchase price.
    10-21-08 07:01 PM
    3 year contract would be a no sale for me, no matter how much I want this phone. If this were to happen I would entertain the option of doing a full retail purchase price.
    They can't be dumb; that would be a major turnoff...................; but what about the VIP price where u are able to get a new phone every year wonder how that would affect that as well. I really can't see it.
    10-21-08 07:35 PM
    I think this is a Canada thing...3 year contracts have been standard there for a while.
    10-21-08 07:39 PM
    I agree, it must be canada. There is no way verizon would do that, I would rather get an iphone or a G1

10-21-08 07:44 PM
    that's a little insane...I would hesitate at a 3yr for ANY price, but anything over $300 will cause me to think twice about switching.
    10-21-08 07:50 PM
    What's the problem with a 3yr contract? Does everyone plan on not having cellphones within the next year or two? I'll happily sign on for another 3yr contract with my carrier. I plan on having a cellphone until built-in cybernetics catches on.
    -Rik
    10-21-08 07:55 PM
    It's amazing to me when someone posts something about this phone and everyone falls right into it. And I'm not trying to offend the OP but come on, do you guys believe everything you read? Seriously, store reps misinform people lots of times. I'm sure if you went to another Verizon store and asked another rep about the price of the Storm, you would get a totally different answer. Take what the reps say with a grain of salt because they usually don't know what they're are talking about.
    10-21-08 08:49 PM
    Dang that would suck if it was 400 for a 3 year contract. I wonder what the no contract price is.

10-21-08 09:00 PM
    What's the problem with a 3yr contract? Does everyone plan on not having cellphones within the next year or two? I'll happily sign on for another 3yr contract with my carrier. I plan on having a cellphone until built-in cybernetics catches on.
    -Rik
    Problem is that anytime you sign any contract, you surrender certain freedoms. Three years is a long time, and no one really knows how things will be in three years, but a contract can still keep you locked down.
    10-21-08 09:08 PM
    I can get out of my contract (military) and I STILL don't want to sign a 3-yr deal...what's THAT tell you?

really, it's b/c I'm coming off a long-term relationship with AT&T (8+ yrs) and not really sure if I'm ready for another one right off the bat...2 yrs is like the accepted "trial period" these days...thank god for that 30 days!
    10-21-08 09:49 PM
    -Rik
    of course i plan on having a cell forever, and i hope to stay with vzw as well. But a 3yr contract means the terms of upgrades change. storm is already talking about an upgrade, and god knows what other phones might come out in the next 3yrs that will make the storm look like a fisherprice toy. I would hate to be stuck paying full retail because they got me with the storm.

It's amazing to me when someone posts something about this phone and everyone falls right into it. And I'm not trying to offend the OP but come on, do you guys believe everything you read? Seriously, store reps misinform people lots of times. I'm sure if you went to another Verizon store and asked another rep about the price of the Storm, you would get a totally different answer. Take what the reps say with a grain of salt because they usually don't know what they're are talking about.
    i do take what they all say with a grain of salt. I posted it just to see if any others heard it, and to see what others thought about it.
    10-21-08 10:04 PM
    just don't let this thread turn into an all-out-riot like another thread going on in this forum as we speak
    10-21-08 10:39 PM
    I think a 3yr contract in the US is a load of BS!!! this is the internet don't believe everything you hear...Were all desperate to hear the latest news on the storm but I'm fairly confident that it won't come with a 3yr contract and should not be more than $300 with 2yr contract...Without a contract I'm Sure it can easily surpass the $450 price tag...
    10-21-08 10:42 PM
    Very curious how the pricing will look compared to the iPhone 3G and Bold on AT&T (Which is looking like it actually could drop a week or two before the Storm if you're following the soap opera over in the Bold forum...)

If the price even with a two year agreement is way out to lunch, like in the $399-499 range, i'll most likely not be getting it anyway. And if the Bold comes in $100-200 less there a good chance I could jump ship for AT&t

My guess is that they're probably going to make it difficult by posting them both at $299 with a 2-year, meaning i'll have to actually go and figure out which one I like better.
    10-21-08 10:44 PM
    I say close this thread. There will not be 3 year contracts on Verizon. LOL. I think Vodafone does though.
    10-21-08 10:58 PM
    I think this is a Canada thing...3 year contracts have been standard there for a while.
    I also remember hearing it was a few weeks back but. Vodafone would be doing some 3 year contract and the price would be like 50eur. with some mail in so the phone would be free or something like that since vodafone does not do contract normally. and that Verizon and vodafone wanted this phone to be a contract only phone to reduce the people from taking it to AT&T or else ware..... So I am hoping that this guy heard wrong. I really want this phone.
    Last edited by WG; 10-21-08 at 11:42 PM.
    10-21-08 11:39 PM
    verizon wireless can not legally use 3yr contracts and no information has been passed around about pricing/release date.
    10-22-08 12:08 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD