Is it me or does it seem that 3rd party apps are "lacking" ?

Compare say the etch a sketch app to the iPhone app. Or any of the other apps. Is it that the 3rd party developers kit is lacking? Is it the phone?

Maybe it's just me...I'm a dual iTouch/Storm user and really wanted to ween myself away from the Touch, but just can't seem to do it...
    02-12-09 03:17 PM
    Don't forget, the Storm is still a brand new phone with many kinks to be worked out. There is still many releases to fix software bugs which I'm sure will assist in speeding the phone up. We just need to be patient and wait for it to happen. The Iphone has been out for a few years, the Storm has only been out for a few months. It's not really fair to compare these yet. Give the storm a couple years and I'm sure we will be up to par, if not close.
    02-12-09 03:19 PM
    Don't forget, the Storm is still a brand new phone with many kinks to be worked out. There is still many releases to fix software bugs which I'm sure will assist in speeding the phone up. We just need to be patient and wait for it to happen. The Iphone has been out for a few years, the Storm has only been out for a few months. It's not really fair to compare these yet. Give the storm a couple years and I'm sure we will be up to par, if not close.
    I know what you mean... Just seems that the day the iTouch came out stuff was smoother is all..

All the 3rd party apps people are making is AWESOME... Love seeing it...
    02-12-09 03:22 PM
    We can only program with what we're delt. Limitations I've ran into

- Sounds can't overlap. You have to play 1 sound at a time. This means no good piano, guitar, beatbox anything like that

- Swipe data doesn't update as fast as the iPhone. Where we may only get 10 values from a swipe the iPhone will get like 30 which will give you accuracy of where you're finger is.

That's what I've ran into so far with the storm.
    02-12-09 03:50 PM

- Sounds can't overlap. You have to play 1 sound at a time. This means no good piano, guitar, beatbox anything like that

- Swipe data doesn't update as fast as the iPhone. Where we may only get 10 values from a swipe the iPhone will get like 30 which will give you accuracy of where you're finger is.

That 2nd one is the BIGGIE !!!
    Thanks for insight !!!

Keep up the good work though...
    02-12-09 04:00 PM

Is that a software or hardware issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 04:06 PM
    I always assume that iphone performance is smoother because it has a GPU while storm does not. Is it true, and am I right to attribute the difference in performance mainly to this?

Last edited by rednukleus; 02-12-09 at 04:11 PM.
    02-12-09 04:09 PM
    Is that a software or hardware issue

I think it might be software I'm sure the storm can handle both a lot better then it currently does.

It's like running windows 95 on a quadcore pc. Although the pc can handle a lot more you're limited by the OS on what it can do.
    02-12-09 04:10 PM
    I always assume that iphone performance is smoother because it has a GPU while storm does not. Is it true, amd am I right to attribute the difference in performance mainly to this?

Nope, if it was an intense 3d game then I might say yes. But a simple 2d application that would run smoothly on a 486 pc isn't the graphics card. That's another issue we may or may not run into in the future.

Until the first graphic hungry game comes out we wont really know.
    02-12-09 04:12 PM
    DMG, do you think the one channel audio is hardware limited? If not, then it theoretically be fixed in future OS updates. I think that one is a huge flaw, especially for a phone that is supposed to be geared towards more multimedia centered audience. I mean, what kind of game only runs one channel these days?
    02-12-09 04:40 PM
    DMG, do you think the one channel audio is hardware limited? If not, then it theoretically be fixed in future OS updates. I think that one is a huge flaw, especially for a phone that is supposed to be geared towards more multimedia centered audience. I mean, what kind of game only runs one channel these days?
    It is hardware limited, and only affects CDMA phones. The 9500 Storm doesn't have this issue - So I predict some of the more audio-intensive apps will be 9500 only.

iPhone developers have an easier time in two ways - one, their prebuilt GUI components look a lot better. So to make a BlackBerry app look good, you need to spend a lot of time doing so - And most developers won't go to that trouble.

The second way is that iPhone apps are huge. 1-2MB+.. Even up to 90MB+. We can only install on the device memory, though, and that's limited. If we made a 15MB app, no one would/could download it.

And I'll toss in a third - There are 2 iPhones, both very similar. Whereas there are 2 Storms (one that can play multiple audio files, one that can't), there are older Trackball devices, and then there are even older trackwheel devices. The devices have different screen sizes, and some devices (Ok, just one for now) have a second external LCD. If you develop a UI, it needs to work across multiple screen resolutions and input methods.
    02-12-09 04:51 PM
    I really think it's software based. It's been posted over on RIM's developers forums that it's only CDMA with this problem. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's what people are saying.

Gaming would suck, say you're playing a racing game and there is background music and you hit a wall, it would have to stop the background music play the sound effect then start the music back up again.

You can't even open an mp3 have that playing in the background then open a new app that has sound. The mp3 will continue to play but once that app uses sound it turns the mp3 off and plays the sound.

This is really going to suck for games / apps. Especially if we're trying to compete with the iPhone. I know everyone says we're not, but in the back of our minds we are.
    02-12-09 04:54 PM
    Every CDMA BlackBerry has this same issue - If it was an easy software fix, I'm guessing they would have fixed it years ago.
    02-12-09 05:02 PM
    Its basically the platform. BBs run on J2ME/MIDP while the iPhone being based on a more traditional kernel called XNU.

J2ME was originally meant to provide a stripped down and light-weight standard platform for small devices that didnt contain much horsepower under the hood like older cellphones and such . While the iPhone OS was derived from a platform that was meant for standard computing without many limitations.

Now im sure j2me has been working great for BB's previous phones but theyre hardware has far exceeded the need for them to stick with j2me. But im sure that RIM dreads having to retrain a vast majority of their software team to move on but its not my company.=)

But yea thats why you dont see really "modern" looking apps/games. And personally, java sucks.
    02-12-09 05:37 PM
    Ya, I'm sure it's a pain to transfer over EVERYTHING they do to a completely new language/format. But, if they want to keep up with the rest of the competition, they're gonna have to make big changes, and in a hurry. These devices are becoming more and more like a regular PC, and consumers will begin to expect that.
    02-12-09 06:24 PM
    I'm with dibs, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen on this phone :\. The sound and the touch lag issues are biggies. Hopefully RIM agrees and will take the initiative to fix them.
    02-12-09 06:34 PM
    Lightsaber App...
    That's a HUGE diff. between the two...
    02-12-09 07:19 PM
    Ive noticed this on my phone when an mp3 is playing and I recieve a txt message. The song stops, txt message sound takes about a second to load, plays, then the mp3 comes back on. Really sucks.
    02-12-09 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD