all i can make out is that you took a screenshot from something in word, otherwise that picture is rediculously small, try keeping it the same size as when you print screened it but saving it as a .jpg if you have file size issues.
    06-18-09 01:12 PM
    all i can make out is that you took a screenshot from something in word, otherwise that picture is rediculously small, try keeping it the same size as when you print screened it but saving it as a .jpg if you have file size issues.
    Thanks That worked. I will have to remember that.
    06-18-09 01:19 PM
    I was just glancing through the storm "tips, hints and shortcuts" book, and i found this. If 3G is the same as 1XEV, why does the book say different?

Sorry that pic diddnt come out right. this is a link to the online book. Page 26.

na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/4502/GSG_9500_Precision_Generic.pdf

Because RIM didn't write the manual with Verizon in mind. The term "3G" encompasses ALL carriers' "third generation" networks... get it? Different carriers have different names for THEIR 3G networks. Does everyone get this now?!?
    Last edited by jjd228; 06-18-09 at 01:34 PM.
    06-18-09 01:32 PM
    Cool, Thanks for the clarification.
    06-18-09 01:34 PM
    Because RIM didn't write the manual with Verizon in mind. The term "3G" encompasses ALL carriers' "third generation" networks... get it? Different carriers have different names for THEIR 3G networks. Does everyone get this now?!?
    I am trying to understand this but it still doesn't make since. This is a picture of the hard copy book that Verizon packaged with the phone and it clearly makes a difference between the two.
    06-18-09 01:48 PM
    3G with blackberry logo is GSM where it says you have a high speed connection and can use the data and voice at the same time.

1xEV is a high speed CDMA connection, but you can't use voice and data at the same time.

RIM just uses 3G to show a high speed GSM connection, 1xEV is a high speed CDMA connection, the noticeable difference between GSM and CDMA is that GSM can use data and voice at the same time and CDMA can't.
    06-18-09 02:01 PM
    3g stands for 3rd generation network. When you're connected to verizons 3g it will say 1XEV. Because Verizon is cdma its 3g network does not allow simultaneous voice and data. Now because the storm is a world phone it can connect to GSM networks also. When you're on their 3g it will show up as so. On gsm 3g networks they have simultaneous voice and data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 02:07 PM
    Lol. Or what the person above me posted.

06-18-09 02:09 PM
    3g stands for 3rd generation network. When you're connected to verizons 3g it will say 1XEV. Because Verizon is cdma its 3g network does not allow simultaneous voice and data. Now because the storm is a world phone it can connect to GSM networks also. When you're on their 3g it will show up as so. On gsm 3g networks they have simultaneous voice and data.

agreed. the confusion is in the fact that the storm possess both gsm and CDMA technologies.

on top of what u said, i just wanna say that although the storm does have gsm 3g, it only has it for the 2100mhz band which means the storm wont be able to get gsm 3g in north america.
    06-18-09 02:14 PM
    3G just refers to the generation of cellular data service. We're on the 3rd one. I think Apple is who coined the phrase. Verizon calls it 1XEV. It is 3G. The next one will of coarse be 4G, though Verizon will likely call it something else.

Grey
    Verizon Will Call it LTE prob. first quarter of next year.
    06-18-09 02:32 PM

Thanks that clears everything up. Does that mean CDMA is a less superior network than GSM?
    06-18-09 02:57 PM
    Thanks that clears everything up. Does that mean CDMA is a less superior network than GSM?
    CDMA is just the less dominant worldwide, in part due to the fact that European governments mandated GSM, whereas most other governments let the providers choose the technlology.

There are two main 3G technologies: 1xEV-DO (used by CDMA providers) and UMTS/HSDPA (used by GSM providers). Since GSM is the big fish in the worldwide pond, they commonly use the term "3G" to mean their version of 3G, as if it were the only one worth mentioning .

LTE is the the 4G technology that pretty much everyone other than Sprint has chosen. It is a totally new technology... it is neither GSM nor CDMA.
    06-18-09 04:54 PM
    I'll leave the 3G v. 1XEV topic alone since it's been addressed a lot...

LTE is an enhancement to UMTS protocol standards that is a part of the 3GPP-8 (in part, new 4[th]G[eneration] network standards)

Sprint is already advertising 'the first wireless 4G network'.
    Last edited by philip.stinger; 06-18-09 at 05:11 PM.
    06-18-09 05:06 PM
    Gotcha, CDMA is like a little brother getting in the way, so to speak?
    06-18-09 05:08 PM
    Oh, I should also add that LTE is not 4G; it's still a 3G tech. 'LTE Advanced' is true 4G.
    06-18-09 05:16 PM
    Yes. I believe both AT&T and Verizon are close to putting out "4G". Except I think (not 100% +) Verizon's technology is being called "LTE" and not sure what AT&T will call it.
    Verizon and AT&T will both be utilizing the LTE network, where as sprint has their version of 4g out but is utilizing the Winmax (or however its called) and only has it in very very select cities.
    06-18-09 05:30 PM
    I guess I was thinking about what is displayed on the storm, and even at that I was wrong, because if you want simultaneous voice and data you need to see 3G with dots, not just 3G. But I do appreciate correction, don't want to be passing around bad info, so thanks
    Yeah, I'm not sure why RIM decided to have the "3G w/ BB dots" logo when connected to a GSM network, and not with Verizon's CDMA network. I think it would've definitely helped Verizon's consumers if they had a 3G icon instead of 1XEV. The tech heads will know that the Storm (in the US) runs primarily on a CDMA network (unless you unlock your phones), so it makes no sense as to why Verizon/RIM wouldn't make a 3G icon for CDMA, in the interest of easier consumer understanding.

In the beginning of my life with Blackberry, I had no clue what 1XEV meant. It's only when I started coming to Crackberry did I figure that out
    06-18-09 05:58 PM

In the beginning of my life with Blackberry, I had no clue what 1XEV meant. It's only when I started coming to Crackberry did I figure that out
    Exactly, Thanks to the Crackberry Community for helping me understand.
    06-18-09 09:29 PM
    3G just refers to the generation of cellular data service. We're on the 3rd one. I think Apple is who coined the phrase. Verizon calls it 1XEV. It is 3G. The next one will of coarse be 4G, though Verizon will likely call it something else.

Grey
    Verizon's 4G-unit.
    06-19-09 01:03 AM
    I am trying to understand this but it still doesn't make since. This is a picture of the hard copy book that Verizon packaged with the phone and it clearly makes a difference between the two.
    It's blatantly wrong. You've never sent an email in 1XEV service?
    06-19-09 05:57 AM
    1xev is the same as 3g. I remember calling in this question to verizon customer support they stated that there 3g is 1XEV.

06-19-09 06:03 AM
    1XEV = 3G

EDGE = 2.5G (I think? I could be mistaken, it might more realistically be 2G).

You will not see the 3G icon in the United States. Only when overseas.
    Ummmm, check out some AT&T Bolds real quick......
    06-22-09 07:58 AM
    Considering that Verizon isn't slated to even begin rolling out LTE until the end of this year anyway, my guess would be that by the time that 4G becomes mainstream, newer phones and devices would be out (Storm 2?). The current standard for 4G is not backwards compatible with 1XEVDO Standards, so it's doubtful IMO that the Storm would be upgradeable to support LTE.
    If you think about it, the Storm will be compatible because of it's GSM abilities. LTE uses GSM technology which means any phone with GSM available will be able to function on the new network.
    06-22-09 08:00 AM
    Ummmm, check out some AT&T Bolds real quick......
    Correction: You won't see the 3G icon in a Verizon phone in the United States
    06-22-09 08:27 AM
    i did a speedtest on my storm this weekend
    download speed : 331.08 with a maximum of 472.51
    upload speed: 235.34 with a maximum of 384.61

friend did it on his iphone 3gs in the same place
    Download speed: 1353.8 Kbits/s (Max: 1355.4 Kbits/s)
    Upload speed: 247.8 Kbits/s (Max: 248.0 Kbits/s)
    Network: 3G
    06-22-09 09:45 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD