had my storm for 3 days now, works great, is all i hoped it would be. thought that i would see 1xev and 3g in the top corner. just have 1xev. am on os.75 from store. live in las vegas and am on verizon network.should i not have 3g signal also?
    02-10-09 09:51 PM
    1xEV is 3G.
    02-10-09 09:52 PM
    1XEV is the CDMA (ie Verizon) equivalent of 3G. You will only see 3G if you are overseas and connected to a 3G GSM network there.

edit: cut and paste from a thread of the same subject that i wrote on earlier

3G is a general term for 3rd Generation, pertaining to data networks.

CDMA 3G = 1XEV

GSM 3G = HSPA, UMTS, etc

GSM just adopted 3G as their "term", CDMA systems label it what the technology actually is. You're still getting 3G though.

P.S. Storm doesn't have the proper radio frequencies for 3G GSM in the US anyway, so unlocked VZW Storms in the US will only get EDGE data. It only has 2100 MHz UMTS radios for 3G GSM overseas
    02-10-09 09:53 PM
    thanks 312 and ko. you were a great help.
    02-10-09 10:25 PM
    P.S. Storm doesn't have the proper radio frequencies for 3G GSM in the US anyway, so unlocked VZW Storms in the US will only get EDGE data. It only has 2100 MHz UMTS radios for 3G GSM overseas
    I'd say that's verizons doing...so If/When people unlock it...it won't work as fast, and people will want 3g from VZW, so they will switch....prolly won't work though.
    02-10-09 11:37 PM
    I'd say that's verizons doing...so If/When people unlock it...it won't work as fast, and people will want 3g from VZW, so they will switch....prolly won't work though.
    Well yea, of course, if it's designed to be a US exclusive to VZW there's no point in it having something that would be unnecessary at that point. The unlock is supposed to be so people can use sims for foreign carriers while overseas.
    02-10-09 11:41 PM
    and fyi... the storm smokes the iphone in 3g speed tests. so much for att fastest 3g network in the country hu?
    02-11-09 12:25 AM
    and fyi... the storm smokes the iphone in 3g speed tests. so much for att fastest 3g network in the country hu?
    No they do have the "fastest network", BUT it has to be pretty much the PERFECT situation for it to be that fast.
    02-11-09 12:48 PM
    No they do have the "fastest network", BUT it has to be pretty much the PERFECT situation for it to be that fast.
    Their speed does top out a tad faster than VZW's, but a 3G tower covers less area than a 2G tower. When you're near fringes of towers, your speed will drop dramatically. You've gotta have "the network" to support it.
    02-11-09 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD