Has anyone ever seen the 3G symbol in the upper right corner of the home screen?
    I never have. I am wondering if it is even an option. The manual says it is.
    ????
    02-10-09 09:49 AM
    The 3g icon is non existent. It will only show 1XEV.
    02-10-09 09:53 AM
    As far as I am aware 1XEV = 3G. I can't remember the reason but i've read it on a few threads so if u poke around you should be able to find a more detailed answer :-)

EDIT: chaos beat me lol
    02-10-09 09:53 AM
    3G is a general term for 3rd Generation, pertaining to data networks.

CDMA 3G = 1XEV

GSM 3G = HSPA, UMTS, etc

GSM just adopted 3G as their "term", CDMA systems label it what the technology actually is. You're still getting 3G though.

P.S. Storm doesn't have the proper radio frequencies for 3G GSM in the US anyway, so unlocked VZW Storms in the US will only get EDGE data. It only has 2100 MHz UMTS radios for 3G GSM overseas
    02-10-09 09:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure 1XEV is verizon's 3g network. The only way you'd see "3g" is if you were using GSM in another country, like vodaphone.

EDIT:

I got destroyeddd
    Last edited by chaos.; 02-10-09 at 10:01 AM. Reason: He beat me.
    02-10-09 10:00 AM
    I was wondering the same but pretty sure like chaos said if you were over seas on a GSM 3G network it would say 3G like the iPhone shows.
    02-10-09 10:02 AM
    Yup. Using the storm on TIM in Brazil and i have the 3G sign...

It is only oversea's 3G capable...

Like everyone else said 1XEV = 3G speeds.
    02-10-09 10:52 AM
    ...just to add to this topic for the unlocked T-Mobile users:

I have an unlocked Storm on T-Mobile (EDGE) and performed a head-2-head comparison with a regular Storm on 1XEV and they both appeared to connect at the same rates. I asked a T-Mobile rep and they told me that T-Mobile has been running 3G since the release of the G1 and this is consistant with my results so if you are running on T-Mobile with EDGE, you should be getting the same data rates.
    02-10-09 06:14 PM
    ...just to add to this topic for the unlocked T-Mobile users:

I have an unlocked Storm on T-Mobile (EDGE) and performed a head-2-head comparison with a regular Storm on 1XEV and they both appeared to connect at the same rates. I asked a T-Mobile rep and they told me that T-Mobile has been running 3G since the release of the G1 and this is consistant with my results so if you are running on T-Mobile with EDGE, you should be getting the same data rates.
    For smaller mobile pages you probably will not notice a difference between EDGE and 3G. EDGE is considered 2.5G and has a max data rate of about 500 kb/sec. EVDO Rev. A has a max rate of 3 MB/sec, average between 700-1400 kb/sec. When you get into more intensive stuff, particularly graphics you will probably notice a difference. That, or downloading things, i.e. media. The rep you talked to was correct in stating they have a 3G network, however the Storm cannot access it. Just to clarify.
    02-10-09 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD