probably kind of a stupid question, but can somebody explain the coverage icons to me? is 3G only going to show up if you're connected to a GSM network? how good is this 1XEV coverage i'm getting? what is rev A, is it better, and does the storm support it? i work in downtown manhattan and live in jersey city, so i would assume i'm getting coverage for the fastest network available, but i'd like some confirmation. thanks.
    12-11-08 09:58 AM
    EV stands for EVDO which is verizon's 3G network.. if you were on 2G it would only say 1x .. All verizon's EVDO is rev A i believe
    12-11-08 10:01 AM
    probably kind of a stupid question, but can somebody explain the coverage icons to me? is 3G only going to show up if you're connected to a GSM network? how good is this 1XEV coverage i'm getting? what is rev A, is it better, and does the storm support it? i work in downtown manhattan and live in jersey city, so i would assume i'm getting coverage for the fastest network available, but i'd like some confirmation. thanks.
    Try searching next time -- 1XEV is CD MA's equivalent of 3G. It is their 3G network, Rev A...if you weren't on 3G it would just say "1X"
    12-11-08 10:01 AM
    EV stands for EVDO which is verizon's 3G network.. if you were on 2G it would only say 1x .. All verizon's EVDO is rev A i believe
    That's right. You should get the same bandwidth as available using a wireless modem.
    12-11-08 10:12 AM
    3G isn't fast enough still lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 10:16 AM
    Try searching next time -- 1XEV is CD MA's equivalent of 3G. It is their 3G network, Rev A...if you weren't on 3G it would just say "1X"
    Not to be all technical -- but this is the first phone in the VZ line-up to make use of the EVDO Rev A. Rev A is a faster bandwidth of EVDO although either way EVDO = 3G, you just get faster DL speeds with the Rev A, theoretically.

To the OP - 3G will show up on GSM
    1XEV will show up on the VZW network as this is the equivalent of 3G on CDMA networks.
    12-11-08 10:22 AM
    You guys are saying that 1X is the 2G equivalent for Verizon? Then why can't I ever connect to the internet on my chocolate when I'm only in a 1X area... it always says Connection cannot be complete or some bs like that.
    12-11-08 10:32 AM
    because you are more than likely in 1x coverage rather than 1X
    12-11-08 10:33 AM
    Not to be all technical -- but this is the first phone in the VZ line-up to make use of the EVDO Rev A. Rev A is a faster bandwidth of EVDO although either way EVDO = 3G, you just get faster DL speeds with the Rev A, theoretically.

To the OP - 3G will show up on GSM
    1XEV will show up on the VZW network as this is the equivalent of 3G on CDMA networks.
    All VZW WinMo on 6.1 utilizes RevA. Sorry bud.
    12-11-08 11:25 AM

Not true also! My replacement I760 was 6.1, and evdo rev 0! My 6800 was 6.1 rev a though!
    12-11-08 11:29 AM
    Not true also! My replacement I760 was 6.1, and evdo rev 0! My 6800 was 6.1 rev a though!
    My apologies, i did forget about the T-RexI760
    12-11-08 11:47 AM
    Meant to say first blackberry. my apologies.
    12-11-08 12:28 PM
    I don't understand because I always thought that when you had 3G, you could be on the phone and use DATA services at the same time? I have the 1XEV on my phone, but when I'm on a call, I can't go online or anything.
    12-11-08 12:41 PM
    I don't understand because I always thought that when you had 3G, you could be on the phone and use DATA services at the same time? I have the 1XEV on my phone, but when I'm on a call, I can't go online or anything.
    HSDPA supports what you are wanting to do but CDMA and GSM in the US does not support this.
    12-11-08 12:45 PM
    3G stand for 3rd generation data(I think). EVDO, and HSDPA are both 3rd generation DATA, but different technologies. EVDO(evolution data ONLY) Does not support voice, and data simultaniouslly!
    12-11-08 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD