Hi,

I have been using .109 for a while now and notice that my phone started lagging. I checked the file free and it was at 0 so I did a battery pull. Ever since I've been getting huge numbers for my file free. My phone does not seem faster so i think its reporting a false number. Is any one else having the same issue
    03-23-09 08:24 AM
    you're going to need to upload tha tpic to the intenet. We're not going to beable to see inside your C: drive
    03-23-09 08:26 AM
    Sorry, just attached the picture.
    03-23-09 08:28 AM
    mine says 33691856 bytes
    03-23-09 08:29 AM
    Try shutting down the applications that are running with the exception of the 5 that should be and see if it is faster then
    03-23-09 08:49 AM
    That is an average number.
    03-23-09 08:53 AM
    Really? I usually just look at the first 2 digits to get a quick estimate but I think there is a few more digits. Instead of 30396549 it use to be 303965. Maybe I'm going senile from all this crackberrying.
    That is an average number.
    03-23-09 09:03 AM
    Around 30 megs free?? Yeah thats very typical.

Are you closing your apps after your done using them or just putting them in the background?? You should never see 0.

Or maybe I should ask, How many apps are you running in the backround that you want open?? Because still you should never see 0.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 03-23-09 at 09:25 AM.
    03-23-09 09:21 AM
    I close all my apps after I use them. I only have a couple of apps installed; windows live, AIM,nintail and shark modem. It was the first time I saw 0. I kept getting the black clock popping up every other minute like the phone was thinking or working on something. Its working OK after the battery pull but was wondering if any one else was having similar issues.

Around 30 megs free?? Yeah thats very typical.

Are you closing your apps after your done using them or just putting them in the background?? You should never see 0.

Or maybe I should ask, How many apps are you running in the backround that you want open?? Because still you should never see 0.
    03-23-09 09:39 AM
    The Storm is just like a circa 1996 PC. It does not use memory very efficiently and so it needs to be restarted every couple days to refresh the memory. The memory figure you are looking at is equivalent to "RAM" on a PC. The more RAM available for system processes, the faster your phone will be.

"Instead of 30396549 it use to be 303965" -- that's 303kb free instead of 30mb ... once you get down that low it's time to do a battery pull and/or soft reset on the phone.

Newer versions of the OS tend to be more efficient with memory so they don't drain memory as quickly.
    03-23-09 10:11 AM
    Yeah, you're fine...mine says 17118098 bytes and still runs great...

It would probably be more convenient if they modified it so that it went by MBs...using QuickLaunch, it lists it as MBs so it would say something like "17.1 MBs" instead.
    03-23-09 10:20 AM
    The Storm is just like a circa 1996 PC. It does not use memory very efficiently and so it needs to be restarted every couple days to refresh the memory. The memory figure you are looking at is equivalent to "RAM" on a PC. The more RAM available for system processes, the faster your phone will be.

"Instead of 30396549 it use to be 303965" -- that's 303kb free instead of 30mb ... once you get down that low it's time to do a battery pull and/or soft reset on the phone.

Newer versions of the OS tend to be more efficient with memory so they don't drain memory as quickly.
    Haha you've got a point about the circa 1996 PC. However, I'd refer to BBs as more like the new static state mini laptops they've been coming out with lately. Basically, you have a small amount of native memory on the phone, and if you want more, you need to use memory cards. It allows for faster data access from the phone, but obviously not as much space. You're correct about it being equivalent to RAM, it's essentially the same thing. The only thing I have to complain about this setup is the lack of ability to launch applications from the memory card. Apparently there's an app there that can do this now, haven't tried it yet though...
    03-23-09 10:25 AM
    Haha you've got a point about the circa 1996 PC. However, I'd refer to BBs as more like the new static state mini laptops they've been coming out with lately. Basically, you have a small amount of native memory on the phone, and if you want more, you need to use memory cards. It allows for faster data access from the phone, but obviously not as much space.
    I'm pretty sure the Storm is not able to allocate application memory (RAM) from the memory card.
    03-24-09 08:25 AM
    I'm pretty sure the Storm is not able to allocate application memory (RAM) from the memory card.
    You can be more than pretty sure.
    03-24-09 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD