I usually drive with my storm (.113) plugged into my stereo via dual male 3.5mm plug in aux jack streaming pandora. I was stuck in traffic and received a call and I thought to myself what would happen if I hit speaker phone during the call and left the phone plugged into my stereo. Like magic I had handsfree speaker phone in my car. The person I was talking to could hear me perfectly and I could hear them through my stereo. Someone probably already figured this out but it is a pita to find anything on this site with all the non-sense that gets posted daily.
    05-17-09 09:19 AM
    I usually drive with my storm (.113) plugged into my stereo via dual male 3.5mm plug in aux jack streaming pandora. I was stuck in traffic and received a call and I thought to myself what would happen if I hit speaker phone during the call and left the phone plugged into my stereo. Like magic I had handsfree speaker phone in my car. The person I was talking to could hear me perfectly and I could hear them through my stereo. Someone probably already figured this out but it is a pita to find anything on this site with all the non-sense that gets posted daily.
    I noticed this about a week ago. Pretty slick for the time being. Ill be buyin a motorola t505 soon tho. I used to own one and it was phenomenal for calls and A2DP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 01:59 PM
    That's just downright cool. I didn't know that would work. When you have a regular headset plugged in (one with a mic), it won't let you go into speaker phone mode. So I had to go run out and try it and it does work. Works with a regular set of earbuds too. I didn't expect it to know the difference between a phone headset and just speakers. Another instance that lets me know RIM put a lot of thought into this thing.
    05-17-09 02:29 PM
    This did not work for me. I could hear them but they could not hear me.

Is there a trick or special cable?

05-18-09 01:47 PM
    This did not work for me. I could hear them but they could not hear me.

Is there a trick or special cable?

This works like in regular speaker phone mode. The mic on your storm is the mic so if you have it covered with stuff or laying on your car seat with the mic against the seat back, nobody will hear you.
    05-18-09 02:43 PM
    I got my storm when it was first released. I noticed this trick shortly after when I wanted to play a song from my storm's playlist. I used one of those low-tech cassette to mp3 player adapters until the cassette deck died. I now have a new aftermarket stereo with bluetooth, HD radio, Ipod control, and handsfree, all built in. The mic on the handsfree stereo works better than the mic on the storm in speaker phone mode.
    05-18-09 02:50 PM
    That's just downright cool. I didn't know that would work. When you have a regular headset plugged in (one with a mic), it won't let you go into speaker phone mode. So I had to go run out and try it and it does work. Works with a regular set of earbuds too. I didn't expect it to know the difference between a phone headset and just speakers. Another instance that lets me know RIM put a lot of thought into this thing.
    The wiring on a headset and the earbuds is slightly different. The 3.5mm jack is setup to detect the difference. I believe it has a different impedance but not sure. Since the storm is a phone that would need to use a headset and the storm is a media player that needs to be able to use various headphones RIM designed it for both. I had an older style headset with a 2.5mm (smaller jack with 4 bands/terminals). I had to get an adapter from Verizon to use the older headset. FYI it works flawlessly.
    05-18-09 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD