should I choose option 1 and reprogram the phone or just option 2 to update roaming capabilities. I'm not getting as good reception as I did with my lg flip phone and just wondered if option 1 would help with that.
    01-24-09 11:17 AM
    Option #2.......
    01-24-09 11:23 AM
    I don't think reprogramming will help. Option 2 to update your PRL might. The most recent PRL is 51242 as of 1/24/09. You can see your PRL by dialing #4357*

EDIT: I corrected your title. The command is *228. You can dial *22899 to bypass the prompts and execute Option 2. That's what I normally do.
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-24-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more info
    01-24-09 11:24 AM
    I don't think reprogramming will help. Option 2 to update your PRL might. The most recent PRL is 51242 as of 1/24/09. You can see your PRL by dialing #4357*

EDIT: I corrected your title. The command is *228. You can dial *22899 to bypass the prompts and execute Option 2. That's what I normally do.
    thank you. that's what i thought but wanted to make sure. I did option 2 but can't tell much difference. I've never had reception problems in all the years I've been on Verizon. I hope this is something that can be fixed with updates.
    01-24-09 11:35 AM
    What exactly does updating the PRL do? Just curious.
    01-24-09 11:35 AM
    From Wikipedia:

The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cellphone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of RUIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the RUIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage.

The PRL is built by an operator and is normally not accessible to the user. Many operators provide the ability for the user to download the latest PRL to their device by dialing the Over-the-air (OTA) feature code *228.

Preferred Roaming List - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Re: liz's comment about not being able to tell much difference: Despite what the wikipedia article says about service, I've never had a problem that updating the PRL solved either. But it can't hurt. Did you get 51242 when you updated?
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-24-09 at 12:16 PM. Reason: More info
    01-24-09 12:10 PM
    As always, great and helpful information Jeff!
    01-24-09 12:25 PM
    Thanks I've searched for 3 months looking for prl to clarify #4357*send. Went from 51143 to 51242. Also with altel merger its good practice to update monthly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 12:39 PM
    Option 1 or 2 does pretty much the same thing. Option 1 is primarily used when activating a new phone. Atleast that is what the reps at verizon said
    01-24-09 12:46 PM
    I was told by a corp. verizon store's associate that now we're getting free Alltel calls...at least not charging us minutes with the new PRL...not sure if it's true, but this is what she promised...so if that's true, woohoo!!
    01-24-09 01:29 PM

Thanks for your post. It was very informative for me.

01-24-09 01:59 PM
    *22899 shouldn't be used with data devices such as blackberries

01-24-09 02:10 PM
    Option 1 or 2 does pretty much the same thing. Option 1 is primarily used when activating a new phone. Atleast that is what the reps at verizon said
    option 1 does a full provisioning of the phone, updating all the services.
    01-24-09 02:10 PM

Why shouldn't *22899 be used with data services such as blackberries? What does this do on a blackberry? What should be used on a blackberry?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Taskbar
    01-24-09 02:20 PM

Why is that?
    01-24-09 02:26 PM
    You can dail *18 as well
    I was told that locks the phone to the tower is by your at that time. Verizon rep told me that sometimes that phones will hange on to one tower.
    01-24-09 02:34 PM
    If the phone is all ready activated *228 option 1 will NOT work, this is to activate phones only. Option 2 is what you want to select to update roaming. On BlackBerrys you can not do the *22899! that will only work with regular phones. I can not activate new Berrys using that anyway it just won't go through. Did you have a regular phone before the reception issues? Smart phones and pda's will not get the same reception as regular phones...on average anyway
    01-24-09 03:33 PM

I'm sorry, but you are going to have to provide legitimate citations to back up that statement. Otherwise it is confusing misinformation at best.
    01-24-09 03:38 PM
    If the phone is all ready activated *228 option 1 will NOT work, this is to activate phones only. Option 2 is what you want to select to update roaming. On BlackBerrys you can not do the *22899! that will only work with regular phones. I can not activate new Berrys using that anyway it just won't go through. Did you have a regular phone before the reception issues? Smart phones and pda's will not get the same reception as regular phones...on average anyway
    *22899 works perfectly on BlackBerries. I just did it, and upgraded my PRL. My previous PRL was 51143. It is now 51242. Please don't post confusing misinformation.
    01-24-09 03:39 PM
    I am also wondering why it should not be used when Verizon uses it when you are setting up a new phone with them over the phone
    01-24-09 03:54 PM
    *22899 works perfectly on BlackBerries. I just did it, and upgraded my PRL. My previous PRL was 51143. It is now 51242. Please don't post confusing misinformation.
    Worked for me as well.

01-24-09 04:03 PM
    I am also wondering why it should not be used when Verizon uses it when you are setting up a new phone with them over the phone
    Same here. Technical support had me do this so I'm not understanding why this person stated it.

To the OP. Have you tried turning the radio off and then back on? I had to do this when I got my first replacement. Worked for me. Worth a try maybe.
    01-24-09 04:06 PM
    Worked for me as well.

Me too. I'm on 51242 now as well, hopefully my reception does get better because I do get a lot of dropped calls in my house with this phone.
    01-24-09 04:06 PM
    Is this a Verizon specific thing? Doesn't work for me here in Canada, so how would I find out the equivilent is for me?
    01-24-09 04:25 PM
    It's not Verizon-specific, but you've just proven it doesn't work with all-CDMA carriers. Unless another Bell user knows, the easiest way is probably to call customer service and as them how to refresh your PRL. Then post it here so we'll all know. It won't be a company secret.
    01-24-09 04:29 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD