I have a blackberry storm and so does my dad. They are sitting next to each other and one has 1XEV and one has 1xev.

The one with 1XEV is receiving email and can access the internet.
    The one with 1xev can only receive calls and sms.

We did a QuickPull on the 1xev device and it now comes up as 1XEV but what was the problem?

What made the blackberry switch to no data service? I don't want this happening to me in the future because I was not able to receive any of my email while this happened.
    03-12-09 07:10 PM
    It will happen in the future and there is no way to stop it. It is caused by a whole host of reasons. Signal received is one of them, all you can do to reduce the possibility is to keep your phone up to date by using *22899.
    03-12-09 07:24 PM
    But why did my phone have 1XEV and when the other one was right next to it, it was 1xev? Makes no sense ;\
    03-12-09 07:31 PM
    But why did my phone have 1XEV and when the other one was right next to it, it was 1xev? Makes no sense ;\
    That is what he was trying to explain to you. Don't know for sure, but by dialing *22899 or *228 then choosing option 2, the phone will be updated for the most recent towers and signals.

Maybe one phone had a more recent update?

You should do this once a month at a minimum.
    03-12-09 07:51 PM
    1XEV means you're on the "3g" network... the 1xev means you're not
    03-12-09 08:06 PM
    *228 should be done every month or 2, vzw is always doing updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 08:28 PM
    1X is for your phone
    EV is for your data

if its in CAPITAL is on "3G"
    03-12-09 08:34 PM
    your blackberry is technically recieving service from two "networks". its all channeled into VZW network services though.
    1xev is 3G. thats why the "ev" is there.

1XEV vs. 1xev is the difference of having verizon wireless network AND the blackberry server networks both connected.

ex:
    1XEV means you're getting blackberry services through the vzw network. RIM hosts data for browser, bbm, and some apps.

1xev means you only have access to verizon network and any services hosted. calls, sms/mms, and some data for apps. any 3rd party browsers will still work, etc.
    03-12-09 08:38 PM
    sometimes phones just get messed up dont make to much of it do a battery pull and thats it!
    03-12-09 08:47 PM
    Ah too confusing for me. We do update our *228 at the same time though. I know this because he reminds me when he is doing it.

So I know that wasn't the problem. I do no it was fixed after a battery reset, so I don't know..
    03-12-09 08:49 PM
    SO JUST LET IT BE DW - there are way more real issues on this phone than that - if u fixed it GREAT move on to the next problem you will encounter bc u know there will be one until we get that precious GOLD CODE!
    03-12-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD