So im having an issue with the battery that came with my storm 2. It dies on me about after 5 hours just sitting in my pocket, nothing running maybe getting a few text messages but nothing too intensive. I had to trade my battery with my friends tour and his battery gave me decent enough battery life for me to survive a whole day and be able to put it on the charger before bed without even reaching the yellow zone of the battery life. He noticed the same quick drainage from my battery on his phone as well which leads me to believe its not any software issue. Verizon isnt letting me get a free replacement so I am resorting to ebay to find a cheapo battery thatll at least last me an entire day. I found a cheap 1600mAh battery and I am wondering if its safe to use on my phone

NEW 1600MAH BATTERY FOR VERIZON BLACKBERRY STORM 2 9550 - eBay (item 250621215177 end time Apr-27-10 10:35:46 PDT)

its pretty cheap which kinda worries me but at the same time, anything is still better than the OEM battery I have now.
    04-24-10 03:46 PM
    "Ships from China"

The battery you're looking at is a cheap quality knockoff that will probably last you a few months before dead. I would try looking for an authentic Blackberry battery from within a US seller......
    04-24-10 04:03 PM
    Though I know that you just want a battery that works, I agree with the poster above that even though it's cheap, you'll end up having to buy a new one in a month or so.

Look for a US seller or a seller who is selling a brand you have heard of (seidio makes a great battery, I am using the 1600 mah, but I bought it from the Crackberry store)
    04-24-10 04:09 PM
    All of the RIM OEM batteries are made in Japan, I believe. There was a fascinating post here about six months ago, but an IT guy who manages a ton of BBs for his firm. One day, he got to looking at all the spare batteries he had accumulated and noticed how many were made to look the exact same but when examined closely, he discovered small, but important nuances including point of manufacture and even when claiming to be made in Japan and advertised as an OEM battery, he was able to detect something that proved it wasn't.

I would try calling VZW support and trying again. I forget now what their battery policy is, but given that you're under a year, you may be able to at least get a discount if not just getting a different tech who will send you the replacement. Otherwise, yeah I agree, pay a few bucks more and get the real deal.

As a photographer, I use batteries like most people use air. On any given job, I carry about 30-40 AA's, all rechargeable. There are DISTINCT differences in battery performance between brands. Even the name brands like Energizer (ESPECIALLY Energizer), Duracell, Ray O Vac, etc., are all on my "do not buy" list. They simply do not hold up over multiple charges and very quickly die down to being pretty much worthless if you hope to get more than an hour out of them. My two current brands are both German made.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-24-10 at 04:13 PM.
    04-24-10 04:10 PM
    if your gonna get a new battery, might as well upgrade to the higher cell seidio 1700mah cell. I just ordered mine on their 15% special + free shipping and it should be here monday. Dont just buy the same battery again when there are upgrade options out there. The 2400 is a hit or miss given the size with the special battery door, but at the very least, I would think the highest upgrade within the same phone frame only makes sense.

plus, batteries are hard to read when it comes to performance. There's nothing to go on except the performance. You have to just buy it and eat up the cost in order to know if its a good buy for the price. In my opinion, just pay what you have to pay for the real thing
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-24-10 at 04:41 PM.
    04-24-10 04:37 PM
    Just to correct some information here: OEM, authentic and genuine batteries for BlackBerry smartphones are not only manufactured in Japan, but also China. Who knows, the 'cheap knock-off' on eBay could stem from the same production line as those, which got the "100% real" stamp. Reason for these Chinese batteries being cheap is the quality control, or better yet, the lack of it. OEM equipment always costs more, regardless of where it was manufactured in, because labor costs are what inflate their price, even if they are the same thing as those 'knock-offs'.
    04-24-10 04:50 PM
    bought mine "from china" on ebay the day i bought my storm2...back when it first came out. ZERO problems.

batteries are batteries. if it dies...buy another one. that one dies....buy another one. still will be cheaper than buying a Seido.
    04-24-10 05:23 PM
    I understand what the others are saying but I actually bought the battery you're looking at from Ebay from the same company. I don't have any issues at all. I bought it in January so going on 5 months now. I'm running a 517 hybrid. I get to work at 9 am and when I leave at 6 pm, it's sitting at about 85% to 90% with little to no usage. I paid over $50 to get an extended battery from Seido for my Storm 1. When I got the Storm 2, I wanted a new extended battery so I tried the cheap knock off. The price difference is so large that I decided to take a chance. No complaints for me yet.

One caveat: If you order it, shipping takes a good 3 or 4 weeks.
    04-24-10 05:24 PM
    There are Seidio retailers on EBAY as well that have a better price than the online store
    04-24-10 05:31 PM
    if your gonna get a new battery, might as well upgrade to the higher cell seidio 1700mah cell. I just ordered mine on their 15% special + free shipping and it should be here monday. Dont just buy the same battery again when there are upgrade options out there. The 2400 is a hit or miss given the size with the special battery door, but at the very least, I would think the highest upgrade within the same phone frame only makes sense.

plus, batteries are hard to read when it comes to performance. There's nothing to go on except the performance. You have to just buy it and eat up the cost in order to know if its a good buy for the price. In my opinion, just pay what you have to pay for the real thing
    Hey Medic, where did u find the discount ? I didn't see it in the Crackberry store ?
    04-24-10 05:35 PM
    It's important to make sure proper charging pr
    actices are being used. Now, isn't to say the original poster isn't but as a rule of thumb. This said, make sure you don't pull from the charger right away

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 06:14 PM
    Well I'm just sayin that be careful when buyin generic product from China, and I am saying this from personal experience. ( headphones, memory cards, batteries, chargers)

As an Ebay Power Seller, I have read and heard of hundreds and hundreds of bad stories regarding knock-offs and in regard to Afro-Mans response above, yes its true some may be legit, but for the most part, I can put my money that easily 75% are going to be cheap knock-offs, so I personally will play it smart and spend the extra $5 to buy something that I know will work for the long run
    04-24-10 06:43 PM
    I agree that good batteries can come from most anywhere and the one you're looking at being "from China" is not a guarantee it's junk or good. That being said though, that price is SO cheap, I'm suspicious, knock off or not. But hey, for a couple of bucks, you might be the happiest camper on earth.

Every battery I've gotten from RIM (I think it's four now, perhaps five) has been Japan, so I was not aware they were getting them made in China as well. Now, if you'd rather support someone that at least has an inkling of human rights and environmental standards, then go Japanese. If you don't mind supporting someone who pays their laborers $1.00 a day and dumps all their toxins out the back door, then go for the Chinese one.
    04-25-10 12:41 AM
    I've been using the Seidio battery for over a year with no problems. FWIW. I haven't had any trouble with the OEM batts either though. I would be careful with the cheapos. I have t tried the batteries themselves, but I did have an eBay Chinese charger that tried to start a fire!

04-25-10 04:08 AM
    If you Japaneese be aware that you may experiance rapid acceleration and an inability to stop. Roll over is also a possibility.
    04-25-10 09:58 AM
    LOL! I can just picture my BB suddenly flipping off the table and shooting across the floor...good one!

If you Japaneese be aware that you may experiance rapid acceleration and an inability to stop. Roll over is also a possibility.
    04-25-10 02:56 PM
    Hey Medic, where did u find the discount ? I didn't see it in the Crackberry store ?
    seidio had a big sale for those on the mailing list. Dont know whats the current state of the sale but sign up to receive e-mails and they will send you codes to put in from time to time
    04-25-10 10:03 PM
    I bought 2 1600's and a charger bundle from eBay for $10.oo. Yes that was 2 batteries for $10.oo. Dude, buy it. For the price you can't go wrong. I've been using the same Chinese 1600 for 6 months now. The best phone accessory purchase I've ever made.

04-25-10 10:18 PM
    I bought 2 1600's and a charger bundle from eBay for $10.oo. Yes that was 2 batteries for $10.oo. Dude, buy it. For the price you can't go wrong. I've been using the same Chinese 1600 for 6 months now. The best phone accessory purchase I've ever made.

As long as they've fixed the exploding battery issue that we heard about a few years ago, I agree. At that price they're essentially disposable (but recycle to protect the planet )
    04-26-10 10:33 AM
    My storm 2 didn't come with a battery

04-26-10 09:45 PM
    This Extended Life battery doubles the run time of your Bendix King AV8OR GPS. Donít worry about losing power to you GPS. Keep an extra charged battery on hand for those longer flights
    04-26-10 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD