Have had no battery life issues until 148. I would normally go at least a full day before but today it didn't last past 10 hours of normal use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 07:34 PM
    my battery life is CONSIDERABLY better after going from .75 to .148
    06-02-09 07:56 PM
    I've been on .148 since it leaked. For the past 2 builds my battery life has been terrible. I used to go a couple days with the same apps running and gps location on. Now Ive turned off gps and I still can barely get 10 hours with little-moderate use. If I pull it off the charger at 9am it will be completely shut down by 9pm, guaranteed, if I don't charge. With ZERO use I will not make it 24 hours.
    06-02-09 08:49 PM
    i had the same experience as tucker with my stock battery. i got an extra one with some accessories, and it lasts at least 2 days, i can get 3 maybe if i try. the original one gives me a good 24 hours...
    06-02-09 08:56 PM
    and keep in mind, every day you will lose 1% of the battery's full potential, exponentially

so if we quantify your battery's full capacity as "100", it will go like this
    day 1 = 100
    day 2 = 100 - 1% = a
    day 3 = a - 1% = b
    day 4 = b - 1% = c
    Hmmm... I highly doubt you are correct. So after 100 days the Lithium Ion battery loses 100% of its full potential?

Actually, in normal operating temperature, a Lithion Ion battery loses approximately 15%-20% of its battery life a year. In high heat situations the percentage will be even higher. The battery in my previous blackberry is over 4 years old, and still holds a charge.
    06-03-09 09:29 AM
    Hmmm... I highly doubt you are correct. So after 100 days the Lithium Ion battery loses 100% of its full potential?

Actually, in normal operating temperature, a Lithion Ion battery loses approximately 15%-20% of its battery life a year. In high heat situations the percentage will be even higher. The battery in my previous blackberry is over 4 years old, and still holds a charge.
    its algebra dude.

if you graph the results it isn't a line...it's a curve.

you're not losing 1 every day, you're losing 1% of the previous day's potential. so every day you're actually losing less. the only day you'll lose the full "1" is the first day, every day after that you're losing less of the quantity, but the factor still remains at 1%...

so in the long run, it averages about with what you're saying. the heat and charging cycles, etc...as well as the natural drain i'm discussing.

i didn't wanna have to whip out the calculator to do the actual math, but i think this is the actual math, if we were to give the battery an actual quantity of 100 at start:

100*0.01=99
    99*0.01=98.01
    98.01*0.01=97.0299
    97.0299*0.01=96.059601
    � �=95.09900499
    � �=94.1480149401
    � �=93.206534790699
    Etc�
    06-03-09 09:56 AM
    its algebra dude.

if you graph the results it isn't a line...it's a curve.

you're not losing 1 every day, you're losing 1% of the previous day's potential. so every day you're actually losing less. the only day you'll lose the full "1" is the first day, every day after that you're losing less of the quantity, but the factor still remains at 1%...

so in the long run, it averages about with what you're saying. the heat and charging cycles, etc...as well as the natural drain i'm discussing.

i didn't wanna have to whip out the calculator to do the actual math, but i think this is the actual math, if we were to give the battery an actual quantity of 100 at start:

100*0.01=99
    99*0.01=98.01
    98.01*0.01=97.0299
    97.0299*0.01=96.059601
    � �=95.09900499
    � �=94.1480149401
    � �=93.206534790699
    Etc�

Yeah.. I got that... but still don't agree.... You see according to you math at 100 days, that battery potiential will be at

in 1 years time, the battery has lost almost 97% of its potiential? Maybe you formula is for battery life in a laptop in Death Valley?

and by the end of the second year...

I maybe wrong and If I am, I do appologize, but to me your formula is a bit off. The average calendar life of an Lithium-Ion battery is about 3 years, not including storage time. Not really a curve I'd say.

In any case, my battery issue has been resolved. I never use yahoo messenger, yet for somereason it kept running automatically on a reboot. I disabled it, and went to sleep last night with a half charged battery. Half way through my work day and it is still at the same spot.....

Big D
    06-03-09 11:22 AM
    my math might suck, but that's what the mfgrs told me when i worked at VZW....i never sat down and did the math until today, it just made sense in my head, not so much on paper...the heat/cold thing i know is an issue...

the big thing is the "charge cycles"

you're supposed to get like 1,000 of 'em.
    06-03-09 11:25 AM
    I thought total charge cycles was more like 300.
    Anyway, I've put every leak on my phone and since .132 the battery life has gotten terrible. .141 was the worst and .148 is only slightly better but for some reason restarts take away almost 10% which is considerably higher then previous leaks or maybe the battery is just wearing down.
    Again, I'm basing my battery life on leak and potential bat loss because apps and functionality has stayed essentially the same.
    And to respond to the "fixes" to make it last longer, I still think a current blackberry should last a full day with light use with gps and bluetooth enabled. I'm not asking for 3 days, just 24 hours. I think that's a reasonable request. I understand that on my power days i.e. 3-6 hours of calls I'll need to plug it in.

Edit: I've also had my screen at 10% since the beginning.
    06-03-09 11:33 AM
    I am installing .148 right now but curious, those of you who have battery life issues . . . Did you change your service back to 1xev after you upgraded? When I upgraded to .122 I had problems till I realized it switched my phone back to global when i upgraded. Fixed that & my battery issue was fixed!
    I too have battery problems when compared to .75 - yesterday battery seemed to be draining faster than normal so I let the phone discharge until it shut itself down (10-11hrs) charged all night, did *228 option 2 and am trying it today to see how battery life goes.
    Was planning a JL wipe and reinstall if that didn't work (my phone did freeze on initial install had to abort and restart -worked fine then)
    My phone is set to global so that could be my next attempt prior to the wipe -
    Question: Did .75 default to 1XEV? I don't remember changing it before and battery life was decent.
    What exactly does the Global setting do?
    06-04-09 07:28 AM
    I upgraded from .132 and I have NEVER had such fantastic battery life on this phone before. I am on my second day on the same charge and no turning the phone off (except for a battery pull). Hmm... lets see... yup! 50%
    HOW AWESOME!!!

My battery wouldn't last 3 hours before! I couldn't even turn it off overnight... it would still be dead in the morning!

ALL PRAISES for .148!!!

This upgrade has made me fall in love with my 9530 all over again!
    06-04-09 07:35 AM
    Had the same issue with my battery. I even downgraded to 121 and was still messed up. I was almost ready to go back to .75 when someone suggested uninstalling google maps and weather bug. Which I never had a issue with on .75. Tried that and everything works great now!.
    06-04-09 07:40 AM
    .113 was the worst for me, .132 was better, and .148 seems to use a *little* bit more than .132 did...but maybe it's because I put the fb app on it and are always using it more, right before I loaded .148 on it.
    06-04-09 07:41 AM
    I upgraded from .132 and I have NEVER had such fantastic battery life on this phone before. I am on my second day on the same charge and no turning the phone off (except for a battery pull). Hmm... lets see... yup! 50%
    HOW AWESOME!!!

My battery wouldn't last 3 hours before! I couldn't even turn it off overnight... it would still be dead in the morning!

ALL PRAISES for .148!!!

This upgrade has made me fall in love with my 9530 all over again!
    Is your mobile network set to 1XEV or Global? Apps loaded?
    06-04-09 07:42 AM
    I had the same problem too after updating to .148 but couple days later my memory lasted good. Just give it some time/days and u will see a difference.
    06-04-09 08:35 AM
    .148 will not cause poor battery life

its either
    apps
    hardware flaws
    location causing your phone to search for network and draining your battery.
    Really? I have had terrible battery life since upgrading to .148 and I have fewer (and no new) apps, the hardware is obviously the same, and my location(s) has not changed. How do you explain that?
    06-04-09 11:14 AM
    I'm having major battery issues as well... deleting slacker, as that seems to be something in common with the folks with similar issues. Doing batt pull now will let you know if this helps.
    06-04-09 11:15 AM
    Really? I have had terrible battery life since upgrading to .148 and I have fewer (and no new) apps, the hardware is obviously the same, and my location(s) has not changed. How do you explain that?
    well it's a smaller OS, and more efficent with network connections, so idk how this can be the case. maybe the OS has uncovered some hardware flaw of some kind?

i'd call VZW and have this documented, and make sure to follow up on it every 3 days if they don't proactively communicate with you. let 'em know that other people you know are stating they are experiencing poor battery life as well.

i deleted weatherbug from my phone for issues with battery, to find out that it was actually my battery that was bad.

some batteries are just lemons. ask if they'll replace it as part of the trouble ticket, see if it resolves the issue.
    06-04-09 02:22 PM
    well it's a smaller OS, and more efficent with network connections, so idk how this can be the case. maybe the OS has uncovered some hardware flaw of some kind?...
    That's a reasonable assertion.

some batteries are just lemons...
    I'm having trouble with accepting hardware failures that occur amongst so many users that are coincidental with an OS upgrade. Most (if not all) of those experiencing high battery discharge issues had NO problems with battery prior to .148 If VZW wants to give me a new battery, what the heck, I'll take it. But given the evidence I have very little faith this is going to solve the issue.

Thanks for your insight.

Doekim
    06-04-09 03:39 PM
    That's a reasonable assertion.

I'm having trouble with accepting hardware failures that occur amongst so many users that are coincidental with an OS upgrade. Most (if not all) of those experiencing high battery discharge issues had NO problems with battery prior to .148 If VZW wants to give me a new battery, what the heck, I'll take it. But given the evidence I have very little faith this is going to solve the issue.

Thanks for your insight.

Doekim

also consider how many n00bs came out of the woodwork with this...and they see a few "veteran" users on here talking about it (maybe legitimate hardware issue there) and there becomes this lemming/placebo effect...same thing with app memory. some people have serious issues, others just scrutinize a non-issue until it becomes one...

e.g.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how-my-memory-241711/
    06-04-09 04:15 PM
    I have without question been experiencing terrible battery performance after upgrading to .148. I ran nothing other than .75 before this, and have the same or fewer apps installed, and the same settings. I have just completed draining the battery completely, and I'm in the process of recharging again. I hope it helps, otherwise I guess I'm going to try the complete wipe reinstall, but I'd rather not.
    06-04-09 04:18 PM
    I have noticed that my battery runs low faster than before as well...no new apps since the upgrade.
    06-04-09 04:20 PM
    ...some people have serious issues, others just scrutinize a non-issue until it becomes one...

e.g.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how-my-memory-241711/
    Fair enough. I'll be first up to announce myself as a new-bie. And I've certainly scrutinized this issue (guilty as charged - pun intended). So... Let's completely discount my experience. Let me ask you a point blank question:

Do you believe there is sufficient evidence expressed by users to suggest there is a battery problem since the upgrade to .148?

Yes? or No?

Doekim
    06-04-09 05:59 PM
    Zero apps are running, believe me. I have now downgraded to .75 and re-upgraded a clean version of .148 and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I would suggest you have an app running that is draining the battery. Push and hold the blackberry button and see what's running.
    06-04-09 06:01 PM
    I've been running .148 now for a few weeks and the battery has just been crap. So even after a few days, for SOME people, yes this OS upgrade has been a battery killer.

dennis: lets start our own club shall we?

haha, at any rate, good luck! It does seem that you need a few days for things to settle, and maybe I am not that well versed in this stuff as I think (because I cruise this site WAY TOO much) I did not expect such a huge performance drop in the battery. I knew something would drop as the phone gets used to the OS, but not that bad!

We shall see how it goes!
    06-04-09 06:06 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD