Got my Storm on release day, 11/21. Never had a problem with it until today. After downloading the 5.0 release last Sunday, today my phone dial pad decided to go kaput. 3 Battery pulls later, and a half hour on the phone with VZW, it appears I'm in for a refurb unit coming my way. Bummer!! I tried talking him into letting me upgrade to the S2, but that was a no go, at least at this point.

Weird though, how the dial pad just ceased to work. I can use all other functions but not place calls (unless I use the dreaded Voice Dial feature)! Any thoughts?
    11-03-09 11:32 PM
    if its just the one screen that isn't responding try reloading the software. It isn't a hardware failure if only one screen isn't responding, since its not like your touchscreen has died, unless I've misread your post. Try reloading the software, I'm sure its just a bad install.
    11-04-09 06:25 AM
    There's several folks on the boards having this problem (me included). It seems to be related to choosing the Full keyboard in portrait mode. Try setting it to Sure-Type or Multitap and see if that helps.

The other threads I've seen are titled "DialPAD doesn't show numbers while on call." and "Dial pad not working!!!" (I'd post links, but apparently I haven't posted enough messages for the privilege yet -- God how I hate web forums.)
    11-05-09 01:09 PM
    I was having this as well when I upgraded to version 5 and I have successfully done the suggestion of switching to multi or sure and it works now. Having radio issues as well and trying the radio set at 1ex suggestion from other posts
    11-06-09 09:04 AM
    wow! im impressed that you went this long without a replacement device.
    11-06-09 09:18 AM
    After many drops, kicks, and wanting to throw it out the moving car window, I am still on my Canadian built Storm 1 purchased on the release date. The new 5.0 OS is what it should have been day one. Ive only hard reset it twice. It works like a champ. I must have just been LUCKY! Lets hope I just didnt JINX myself.
    11-06-09 09:30 AM
    wow! im impressed that you went this long without a replacement device.
    I am also still on my release phone (heavily used) from 11/21/2008 and the click still works fine. The new OS improves the phone a lot. Functions about the same speed as my Tour on the 2nd line. My wife's Storm however is soon to be on #3 since May. Both horrible click problems develop after use.
    11-06-09 11:58 AM
    No issues with 5.0 so far here. It tends to give me a weird input error every once in awhile but not often enough to be concerned.
    11-06-09 12:15 PM
    Why wouldn't they have you reload the software instead of sending you another persons garbage? You're probably going to end up with even more problems!

And I still have my release day Storm too...
    11-06-09 12:30 PM
    @Chuck. I rode my Storm1 all the way until that 5.0 update started making my baby act weird. I also had problems with not seeing the DialPad like EnergyPlus. I was gonna call up VZW to get a replacement yet I'll reinstall again and see if that works.
    11-06-09 01:57 PM
    @Chuck. I rode my Storm1 all the way until that 5.0 update started making my baby act weird. I also had problems with not seeing the DialPad like EnergyPlus. I was gonna call up VZW to get a replacement yet I'll reinstall again and see if that works.
    I would definitely at least try that first. If it doesn't work then go to VZW and see what they say. My concern is that someone will return their phone for software problems and end up with a refurb that has hardware problems. Normally I am a fan of refurb products because MOST companies actually refurb them and hand inspect before shipping out. Based on what I've seen here on Crackberry, it seems in many cases, VZW doesn't even look at the returns, much less fix them. People have gotten phones with obviously broken hardware, unauthorized software, previous owner's personal data, you name it. Anyway, I hop the reload solves your problem...good luck!
    11-06-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD