I enabled the memory cleaner option after reading about it in another thread. Directly after doing this the OS started to act as if it were bug ridden. Disabling the memory cleaner restored the OS to its former rock solid state.

FYI for those having troubles with .109 OS performance. Perhaps disabling the memory cleaner will help. It's default setting is disabled so this only applies to those who have been "experimenting" (nobody here does that...right?)".
    03-01-09 10:44 AM
    I enabled the memory cleaner option after reading about it in another thread. Directly after doing this the OS started to act as if it were bug ridden. Disabling the memory cleaner restored the OS to its former rock solid state.

FYI for those having troubles with .109 OS performance. Perhaps disabling the memory cleaner will help. It's default setting is disabled so this only applies to those who have been "experimenting" (nobody here does that...right?)".
    I'm on .109 and use memory cleaner with no problems. I like it so much even see the signature
    03-01-09 11:34 AM
    Ok. I'll refine my observation.

Prior to enabling the memory cleaner option I did not have a to do a quick pull (on the phone anyway ) and had no random resets.

After enabling memory cleaner the OS became unstable and required multiple "pulls" and reset itself a bunch of times.

The only change to the OS was the enabling of the memory cleaner.

As always this is FYI and your mileage will vary!
    03-01-09 02:06 PM
    What settings did you use for the memory cleaner? I have mine set to disabled in holster and to only run when idle for an hour. I believe the default is to run every 5 minutes which is way to often IMHO.
    03-01-09 05:30 PM
    The funny thing is that I had all of the options turned off and the idle timeout set to the maximum setting of 1 hour.

The biggest anomoly that crept up for me (with the memory cleaner enabled) was seen when I would press the lock button. The screen would "ghost" the application icons over top of the background image. The stability of the OS went downhill gradually from there with each subsequent locking event.

The problems all disappeared once I disabled the memory cleaner. I guess I'm dissing the memory cleaner . This .109 OS has been great otherwise. The memory cleaners effectiveness has gotten mixed reviews on this board so no big loss.
    03-01-09 08:01 PM
    I have not had any problems with it running and I have had it since .75 and used it on .83, .86, .90, .99, 103/106 hybred, 103/109 hybred and now .109.
    03-01-09 09:11 PM
    I can maybe vouch for this. I had a ton of resets when I first installed 109 but I eventually decided to turn off memory cleaner and I haven't had much trouble since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:35 AM
    I turned memory cleaner on and started having problems also. Since I turned it off, several problems (with .109) went away.
    03-02-09 11:34 AM
    Memory Cleaner has caused random reboots on my Storm and my wife's Storm since .85 I've tried it in each release since and have promptly turned it off. I won't even bother with it moving forward.
    03-02-09 12:20 PM
    The only problem memory cleaner would do for me is cause the locking to not work unless you pressed the screen down.

That was quite annoying for me, so i just disabled it. You can still clean your memory though by just going to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > BB Key > Clean Now.

Should do it just like it was enabled. There ya have it.
    03-02-09 12:30 PM
    OMFG thanks for the thred i was about to go back to .103
    imo taking it off did the trick for me
    03-02-09 12:38 PM
    You can still clean your memory though by just going to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning > BB Key > Clean Now.
    Awesome tip!!

It's more click intensive but allows the use of memory cleaner on your terms...and squashed all the bugs it was causing.

This board and its inhabitants are amazing . Thanks BlackStorm72.
    03-02-09 03:33 PM
    Awesome tip!!

It's more click intensive but allows the use of memory cleaner on your terms...and squashed all the bugs it was causing.

This board and its inhabitants are amazing . Thanks BlackStorm72.
    Knowing this is about... 5 hours late to respond but I respond to all anyway but no problem. This option always works for me
    03-02-09 08:38 PM
    For the record, the guide below is very helpful. I'm on 109 and sticking with it. The key for my experience has been disabling the event log (#5). Memory much more stable after that.

Search for: "A guide to make your storm BETTER." I can't post the link here even though it's in the crackberry forums.

Good luck with it.
    03-03-09 02:12 AM
    i have the memory cleaner enabled..but the one on quicklaunch... seems to work fine no probs with .109 with it... i just hit it on quick launch and it does it when i want it to... just like going into options
    03-03-09 06:19 AM
    I too was having issues with the memory cleaner but I'm running .75. It would lag real bad, especially the lock. I knew at the time that it had to be the cleaner because that was the only thing I had changed. Turned it back off and just do it manually once a week or so with no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD