02-18-09 02:47 PM
34 12
tools
    In an effort to perhaps narrow down what's causing the often reported poor battery performance in .103 I'd like anyone willing to help out with this to post their apps below, and whether or not they're having a battery problem. I'll start.

Having battery issue? : YES

Installed 3rd party apps running :

Viigo
    Instango
    FaceBook
    QuickLaunch

(Yes, that's it.)
    02-15-09 11:49 AM
    Is instango "running".

It is a known SERIOUS battery drainer.
    02-15-09 11:51 AM
    But I had instango running on .99 and my battery life was fine.

And I suppose the followup question is: Other than uninstalling it, how do you make it behave, if it's the problem?
    Last edited by punman; 02-15-09 at 12:02 PM.
    02-15-09 11:52 AM
    It's so odd because I've heard some people say battery has improved and others like the OP who said it hasn't. It's got to be something running.

I fall into the improved group.

I'm new to bb so I don't know how it's suppose to behave. Ignorance is bliss, ya know.
    Edit: To follow your format

No

Installed third party apps: Google Sync, PBA Bowling, Trapster, e-Mobile Weather.
    Last edited by hookbill; 02-15-09 at 12:10 PM.
    02-15-09 12:06 PM
    But I had instango running on .99 and my battery life was fine.

And I suppose the followup question is: Other than uninstalling it, how do you make it behave, if it's the problem?
    I found it was really any app that updates automatically from the internet. I removed weatherbug and its been fine since. And yes these were not running and still draining the battery.

There was another thread about it but two things worked for other people

1 - Make sure your logged out of things like facebook, that way it cant update
    2 - set any GPS connected app to not search for location automatically

Also it was said by a few people something about restoring the apps from the backup was to blame and they removed the apps, installed .103 and then reloaded apps via the OTA link. After that it worked great.

Me..I didn't use weaterbug much anyway so Im going to wait until the next leak to re install.

Hope this helps.

Edit following format:
    Yes then No

Facebook>Slacker
    Last edited by rellims; 02-15-09 at 12:15 PM.
    02-15-09 12:11 PM
    I wouldn't jump to blame 103 for the battery drain on internet connecting apps.

I had a similar issue start this week on 85 (which I had been running for weeks.)

I do not know what the "cause" was - no new OS, no new apps - but my battery went to **** for a few days.

The only thing I can "connect" it to is all the bb server issues I have been seeing this week.

My only point is it may not be a great time to try to troubleshoot the issue. I would wait until RIM get's it's act together.
    02-15-09 12:18 PM
    I wouldn't jump to blame 103 for the battery drain on internet connecting apps.

I had a similar issue start this week on 85 (which I had been running for weeks.)

I do not know what the "cause" was - no new OS, no new apps - but my battery went to **** for a few days.

The only thing I can "connect" it to is all the bb server issues I have been seeing this week.

My only point is it may not be a great time to try to troubleshoot the issue. I would wait until RIM get's it's act together.
    I'm no programmer but I do know for a fact when I had weatherbug installed (not running) my battery would only last ~5 hours. Now with it not there I am getting more than 24 hours with all other usage habits being the same.
    02-15-09 12:24 PM
    My battery life doesnt seem any worse with .103.

4 things Ive noticed are:
    1) If I pause a video or song in media player, but dont stop it it seems to use the battery up faster while paused in the background.
    2) rebooting or battery pull uses about 4% of the battery each time its done, so if you do a battery pull, or the phone reboots itself 3 times a day, that would use up about 12% of the battery.
    3) Lowering the screen brightness to 50% made a big difference on my phone
    4) the new battery that I purchased gives me about 2 extra hours a day, its 1600 mAh.
    02-15-09 12:27 PM
    If it wasn't for coincidence, conjecture and placebo this board would be a lot more informative (LOL)!
    02-15-09 12:35 PM
    No problem with .99 or .103. .75 was a problem. Any problems I had were usually my fault---->poor settings or failure to close apps. I have the 1600 Sedio extended battery and the following apps (memory free is now 40.16):
    Facebook, *VyMail (sync every 120 min because I get a Youmail text anyway), Opera Mini, Weatherbug (updates every 2 hrs/no gps), Viigo (no auto updates/no run in background setting), *BBLight, Quickpull, Memoryuppro, Nav4all, *Peekawho, Quicklauncher (a must--set up nicely-read manual) Berrytorch, Stormlock (a must), Auto standby, Blinkwhile call, logmaid, Slacker (make sure it closes!!! and the usual maps etc. I have the regular apps running in the background plus the ones I asterisk. I've had and deleted AP Mobile News, Quicklock, Bolt and some unecessary apps. some games, other languages...I also disable my bluetooth when not using it (easy-have in quicklaunch. If your not expecting calls etc youy can always turn your radio off at night. I get an easy 48 hours with moderate activity. Got to have fun....I have other settings nicely set...
    Last edited by JReek; 02-15-09 at 12:57 PM. Reason: edit
    02-15-09 12:49 PM
    No problem with .99 or .103. .75 was a problem. Any problems I had were usually my fault---->poor settings or failure to close apps. I have the 1600 Sedio extended battery and the following apps (memory free is now 40.16):
    Facebook, *VyMail (sync every 120 min because I get a Youmail text anyway), Opera Mini, Weatherbug (updates every 2 hrs/no gps), Viigo (no auto updates/no run in background setting), *BBLight, Quickpull, Memoryuppro, Nav4all, *Peekawho, Quicklauncher (a must--set up nicely-read manual) Berrytorch, Stormlock (a must), Auto standby, Blinkwhile call, logmaid, Slacker (make sure it closes!!! and the usual maps etc. I have the regular apps running in the background plus the ones I asterisk. I've had and deleted AP Mobile News, Quicklock, Bolt and some unecessary apps. some games, other languages...I also disable my bluetooth when not using it (easy-have in quicklaunch. If your not expecting calls etc youy can always turn your radio off at night. I get an easy 48 hours with moderate activity. Got to have fun....Good luck!
    Did you install these apps via a back up or did you install them after .103 was installed?
    02-15-09 12:54 PM
    Having problems too. Hand the phone holstered since 8am and mad a few emails and a short phone call and at 2pm its at 30%. It used to go to 30 by 3pm with 99. All I running is weatherbug. Also I have viigo but I have it close them I'm done with it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 01:05 PM
    Guys with weatherbug, I'm reading that you need to shut the GPS down on that.
    02-15-09 01:09 PM
    Guys with weatherbug, I'm reading that you need to shut the GPS down on that.
    +1 it makes a huge difference.
    02-15-09 01:14 PM
    For what it's worth, I just upgraded to .99, and started seeing BAD battery drain. After reading this thread, and noting that Weatherbug didn't update the temp on the app icon like it was, I uninstalled it.

It's only been a few hours since I did that, but I'm not seeing the battery drain I was seeing. It may be back to normal now!

When I wiped and upgraded from .86 to .99, I did a 3rd party app backup and restore. The apps restored fine, but I have a feeling this is what caused it. I haven't reinstalled Weatherbug yet, but my suggestion is you consider whether my situation applies to you and whether you should try uninstalling apps you restored, one by one, until you figure it out.
    02-15-09 03:17 PM
    Other than 1 day, I still have had no problems with battery life with my Storm. I'm still trying to figure out what happened that one day...
    02-15-09 03:36 PM

Viigo
    Skyscape
    Tarascon Pharmacopedia
    Diagnosaurus
    02-15-09 04:06 PM
    I was having major battery issues. I deleted VyMail and that cured it.
    02-15-09 05:30 PM
    I installed 103 from 75 2 days ago. Both mornings since I have woken to a dead battery with at least 80% before I went to bed. So to follow the format:

Viigo
    vucclip
    CNN Mobile
    Bolt
    Slacker

I had a bunch of other ones like weather bug, poynt, beyond 411 etc but uninstalled after reading some of the posts but battery still drains like a bucket with holes in it. I had a full charge at noon today and here it is 7 pm and I am at 50% with virtually no use.

I'm hoping to see some solution. Otherwise I may try to do the whole wipe thing and start from scratch. (I didn't wipe when upgrading from 75 - just did a straight upgrade) Does anyone think that could be the problem?
    Last edited by tbone3850; 02-15-09 at 09:16 PM. Reason: mistake
    02-15-09 08:57 PM
    I put 103 on my girls phone and it died constantly. we couldnt figure it out because it works great on my phone so i'm just putting 99 back on until the next update.
    02-16-09 05:30 AM
    I was having the same type of problem after upgrading to .103, i'd only get about 6-7 Hours of life out of my phone. Uninstalled weatherbug and now my phone has been on for almost 24 hours with only 1 bar of battery gone. Think I found what my problem was
    02-16-09 09:11 AM

Gmail
    AIM
    Viigo
    Weatherbug
    Bolt
    Facebook

I have used .75, .90, and .99 with no battery problems. Installed .103 and the battery died sitting on my table after 6 hours of no use at all. I don't think wetherbug was updating because I just did a battery pull after updating. I let it charge over night and will check performance today.
    02-16-09 09:22 AM
    I was having major battery issues. I deleted VyMail and that cured it.
    If you update to the newest version and change the update settings to 7 minutes from 5, it works much better and doesnt kill the battery as fast.
    02-16-09 09:39 AM
    Im gonna chime in too and say definately turn off GPS auto location updater in weather bug. I left it on for a day and it KILLED by battery. I turned it off and made it update every 30 min and it was smooth sailing.
    02-16-09 10:29 AM
    I was having the same type of problem after upgrading to .103, i'd only get about 6-7 Hours of life out of my phone. Uninstalled weatherbug and now my phone has been on for almost 24 hours with only 1 bar of battery gone. Think I found what my problem was
    i put my girls phone back to 99 and the thing dropped 15% in 2 hours so something was left over. just did a wipe and went back to 103 with no apps. if the battery lasts I'll start putting them back one by one until i see which one is the culprit
    02-16-09 11:39 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD