I have had the Storm 9530 since the day it came out. I still have it for one reason or another despite the million problems its having.

I have updated OS (currently running .106 hybrid) and desktop v4.7

everything about this phone sucks other than its incredibly sexy.

1) the battery can last anywhere from 16 hours to 4 hours no matter how much charge

2) I'm pulling the battery 10+ TIMES PER DAY because of freeze issues

3)The application base is awful and I understand its a new phone but still.

4) I have had to reload desktop 4.7 a thousand times because of communication errors

5) I already had to have one of my storms replaced (thankfully they gave me the one made in Mexico) because of dust under the screen

6) I constantly outrun the qwerty keyboard trying to type emails/messages to people

7) I am SICK TO DEATH of updating to a slightly better (im giving people the benefit of the doubt here) Operating Systems EVERY DAY.

8) The Call quality is awful, and i'm referring to the voice quality through the earpiece with full bars

9) The answer a call lag is the most ridiculous thing I have ever experienced. Although a blackberry is many things, it is a cellphone first and foremost and it can not handle its most basic purpose

10) Finally, its through Verizon. who continues to distribute fully **** phones to people.

oh and half the time you use the back button while using the internet it returns to the home screen as opposed to skipping back a page in your browsing. so not only can it not pick up phone calls, it can't properly use the internets.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this things better PLEASE, I want to like this phone, but it is getting out of hand.
    02-23-09 11:12 AM
    I have owned the Storm a week and a half today (my second BB). I concur with most of your above statements and I'd even have a few to add to the list. I don't think I can handle staying with this crap phone. It's fun and flashy, but it doesn't do the BASIC stuff I NEED it to do, at the time when I want it to.

Thinkin' I'm going back to my trusty Curve..
    02-23-09 11:15 AM
    Wow. My Storm runs like a charm... with none of the leaked OS either. I only have to do a batt pull maybe once every two weeks if that. Mine was made in Mexico.. if that even makes a difference. I am still patiently waiting on an official OS *sighs*
    02-23-09 11:44 AM
    yeah i dont get many of these prob but when i did there was always a quick fix on this site ... im with telus and my calls (when at least 2 bars are clear as glass.. ones made in canada i would trust more.. no mexicano storms for me
    02-23-09 11:47 AM
    I have owned the Storm a week and a half today (my second BB). I concur with most of your above statements and I'd even have a few to add to the list. I don't think I can handle staying with this crap phone. It's fun and flashy, but it doesn't do the BASIC stuff I NEED it to do, at the time when I want it to.

Thinkin' I'm going back to my trusty Curve..
    If you can't even use the thing for simple phone calls what's the use. That's just not good.

Go back to the Curve and just use it until May then get the Niagra that VZW is releasing. Looks to be a great device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 11:52 AM
    I have had the Storm 9530 since the day it came out. I still have it for one reason or another despite the million problems its having.

1) the battery can last anywhere from 16 hours to 4 hours no matter how much charge

4) I have had to reload desktop 4.7 a thousand times because of communication errors

5) I already had to have one of my storms replaced (thankfully they gave me the one made in Mexico) because of dust under the screen

6) I constantly outrun the qwerty keyboard trying to type emails/messages to people

7) I am SICK TO DEATH of updating to a slightly better (im giving people the benefit of the doubt here) Operating Systems EVERY DAY.

8) The Call quality is awful, and i'm referring to the voice quality through the earpiece with full bars

9) The answer a call lag is the most ridiculous thing I have ever experienced. Although a blackberry is many things, it is a cellphone first and foremost and it can not handle its most basic purpose

10) Finally, its through Verizon. who continues to distribute fully **** phones to people.

oh and half the time you use the back button while using the internet it returns to the home screen as opposed to skipping back a page in your browsing. so not only can it not pick up phone calls, it can't properly use the internets.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this things better PLEASE, I want to like this phone, but it is getting out of hand.
    1) I'm not having battery issues. It continually lasts over 24 hours.

2) Could the freeze issues be because your continually manipulating the OS on a regular basis. You're using OS's that aren't released for a reason.

3) Ya, we get it. The iPhone had no App base at release either. Can you really not wait until March when the store opens?

4) Communication errors sounds more like your internet/computer connection to me. I haven't had any issues with DM.

5) Perfect. A success story.

6) Gotta agree with you there but I get by knowing (hoping) that it will be fixed in the next OFFICIAL release.

7) So don't. I'm running .75 and I have no glaring issues. Sure things could be a bit quicker but the phone does as advertised and it will only get better.

8) Wow, I haven't had this issue at all.

9) Are you using the actual button instead of the on-screen button?

10) I think this is the trend across carriers. This isn't limited to Verizon.
    02-23-09 12:01 PM

I'm on .103

I rarely reach 50% battery after a day of usage. I reduced my usage I think i could make it the whole weekend.

Since I upgraded to .103 I havn't NEEDED to do any batt pulls. I want to say it has been about a week since my last one.

I wouldn't say it is awful, I also think we need to reserve judgement on the app base until after the app store has been open for 3 months.

Not sure about this, I'd be lying If I said My PC never had issues recognizing my BB, but usually a reboot of 1 or both devices clears it up. Never ahd to reinstall the DM, though. Running XP.

DAy 1 Canadian, no dust under screen that I am aware of

I've experianced this. Funny thing is yesterday when I was crackberry's forums open in non WAP version & I terreied to send a text My keyboard slowed to a crawl. As an experiment I switched back to the browser and went to the "Go to" page, then back to my text and was able to type at normal speed. Can't help but wonder if the crackberry ads on the page were overloading my processor

Seems to be running aonce every two week average to me

My quality is fine. Granted I came from a treo 700w that couldn't seem to hold a signal in my house

with Recent updates .9x+ i no longer notice a lag

Disagree. I happen to like my storm and while I agree it wasn't what it should have been out of the gate it is at or near that point with the leaked OS availabel today.

I had this problem (back in the .8x era)t hen adjusted my keyrate sensitivity to normal and it went away.

Last edited by Devlyn16; 02-23-09 at 12:14 PM.
    02-23-09 12:06 PM
    This is kind of giving me second thoughts about trying out a storm.
    02-23-09 12:09 PM
    I'm running .99, and I'm not having any of these problems. Wait, my phone does freeze maybe once a week. Never had to reload DM or anything like that. Battery life is fine. Don't let one rant keep you from trying a GREAT phone!!
    02-23-09 12:14 PM
    the only one i can truly agree with you on is #9. i've actually missed a couple calls because im late picking it up and theres a good 2-3 second delay sometimes. (other times its .5 seconds or instant, but i havent found any way to always get it to do that)

it really sounds like you have a faulty battery though. the last time i had battery life that bad was when i ran VZNav for a couple hours once, and the other was a couple days after getting the phone before i let it drain fully and give it a full charge. with decent use i can easily get 2-3 days out of my berry, sometimes more.

as for the new operating systems coming out so fast, just because a new beta comes out, doesnt mean you have to load it. i JUST loaded .103 today from .99 because i was just too lazy to update before. unless you see a feature added/re-added that you've been waiting for, or notice something major, there really is no rush to constantly update. sure some people are neurotic and need to always have the latest code, but

im not sure why you've had to reload your desktop software either, but thats got nothing to do with the storm. i loaded dm4.7 once, and have never had to reload it again.. nor have i actually heard of anyone else with that problem before.
    02-23-09 12:20 PM
    Most of those issues can be due to misuse of the phone. In regards to how many current applications running. Since there is no way of telling how this phone is used (Lack of info) I could safely say most users wouldn't expect the same lack of performance.

Just because the Storm can run applications including 3rd party apps doesn't mean there isn't a limit. As with any device with that capability.

I can use the "internets" and the phone portion very well. I have .103. Not willing to try a hybrid that was made for another model. But I am very willing to see what is to be expected.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-23-09 at 12:44 PM.
    02-23-09 12:42 PM
    Buyer beware, if you are expecting tons of functionality, usefulness and a polished product, looks somewhere else.
    02-23-09 12:46 PM
    Buyer beware, if you are expecting tons of functionality, usefulness and a polished product, looks somewhere else.
    Coming from someone who didn't think enough to return theirs.
    02-23-09 01:02 PM
    LOL.

Precisely.

"It stinks! Oh, umm, this? It's my BlackBerry Storm."
    02-23-09 01:04 PM
    I'm using .103 and am fine. If people can't hear you - or you can't hear them - get the phone replaced - what use is a phone if you can't make phone calls on it! For that single reason alone, I would have requested a replacement.

1. I have a habit of plugging my phones in overnight. I have never experienced 4 hours of battery use from my Storm though.
    2. I very rarely have to pull the battery.
    3. Application Base: As you stated - it's a new phone. Of course there aren't many applications out for it.
    4. I have had no Communication issues with Desktop 4.7 and have had no need to reload it. Is this definately a Storm issue? (I can't answer that as I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot your system).
    5. I had a replacement because of dust under the screen. Yes that was annoying!
    6. I'm not having that problem with .103. (or maybe you just type faster than I do ).
    7. Updating operating systems every day - bloody **** - I must have missed many leaks lol! I went from .65 to .99 and now .103.
    8. My call quality is fine.
    9. Not having the call lag issue.
    10. I disagree with this comment, but if I were as upset as you evidently are AND I didn't like causing myself more pain, I would switch carriers!
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If it were me, I'd be looking for a replacement from VZW at the very least.
    02-23-09 01:07 PM
    The Storm is (sadly) the best phone Verizon offers, I would consider a WinMo device but they are too big, and I have to use Verizon through my work. If I had to spend MY money on this POS I would be really pissed.
    02-23-09 01:13 PM
    for number 6, just go to options/screen/keyboard and set keyrate to fast.
    02-23-09 01:14 PM
    The Storm is (sadly) the best phone Verizon offers, I would consider a WinMo device but they are too big, and I have to use Verizon through my work. If I had to spend MY money on this POS I would be really pissed.
    Samsung Ominia?(Its smaller than the Storm, with WinMobile, and its on Verizon) I mean its not the time or place for it but you have choices. Also what phone would you prefer?? IPhone? Because Blackberries are proven business machines.

In my opinion most devices approved for mass marketing are only as good as the owner makes them.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-23-09 at 01:36 PM.
    02-23-09 01:29 PM
    Before the leaks I would have leaned towards the Iphone. After the updates I like the storm and I previously had an Itouch.
    02-23-09 01:31 PM
    I'm Sorry aka Dansy-

I can understand how you feel-

It's even worse that no one can give a kind ear or even accept your frustration in regards to this device.
    02-23-09 01:36 PM
    I concur with #9. Having the same problem.
    02-23-09 02:25 PM
    Also what phone would you prefer?? IPhone? Because Blackberries are proven business machines.
    Maybe years ago, but things have changed, most businesses use Exchange, the iPhone has much better OWA access than the Blackberry, to get the same functionality as the iPhone with the Storm you have to buy the BES server which is $100 per user. The iPhone has a Cisco VPN client, nothing for Blackberry.

I am going to check out the Ominia, I do not remember that being available last November.
    02-23-09 02:40 PM
    I am going to check out the Ominia, I do not remember that being available last November.
    Its a nice WM phone. Almost same res depth as the storm and a 5 mega pixel camera. About the same foot print but thinner and lighter.
    02-23-09 02:55 PM
    Its a nice WM phone. Almost same res depth as the storm and a 5 mega pixel camera. About the same foot print but thinner and lighter.
    With an OS and keyboard that's worse than the Storm.

The camera and physical formfactor are phenomenal. Not much else is though.
    02-23-09 02:59 PM
    With an OS and keyboard that's worse than the Storm.

The camera and physical formfactor are phenomenal. Not much else is though.
    I didn't say I didn't like my Storm. Just suggesting options.
    02-23-09 03:18 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD