Kevin posted a very cool blog on the future of (or his speculation of) RIM's devices. One of the topics was about the first generation of the Storm (or Thunder [or whatever]) and how there will undoubtedly be first gen issues. My question is; are there any addicts out there who will wait for the 2nd gen? I know I won't but how about hearing from some of you more level headed, in control users?

What's everyone think?
    10-18-08 09:31 PM
    Since most of us can upgrade every year (at least with Verizon) I see no reason to wait. By the time the new version comes out, we will be able to get it subsidized.
    10-18-08 09:33 PM
    Kevin posted a very cool blog on the future of (or his speculation of) RIM's devices. One of the topics was about the first generation of the Storm (or Thunder [or whatever]) and how there will undoubtedly be first gen issues. My question is; are there any addicts out there who will wait for the 2nd gen? I know I won't but how about hearing from some of you more level headed, in control users?

What's everyone think?
    Have u ever heard of an addict waiting
    10-18-08 09:38 PM
    lol i don't think ill be waiting, i will be getting this phone when it comes out, and ill probably get the 2nd gen one too if its enticing enough, if the 1st gen has enough problems that the 2nd gen fixes and gives more, then ill upgrade. but for the mean time, i will be happy as balls with my new storm when it comes out
    10-18-08 09:41 PM
    I'm soooooo ready

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-08 10:09 PM
    lol i don't think ill be waiting, i will be getting this phone when it comes out, and ill probably get the 2nd gen one too if its enticing enough, if the 1st gen has enough problems that the 2nd gen fixes and gives more, then ill upgrade. but for the mean time, i will be happy as balls with my new storm when it comes out
    I will be getting the first gen Storm and can almost gaurantee I won't be getting the 2nd gen version. I have a hard time justifying dropping several hundred dollars for anything short of a significant game changer. I found that to be the case when the 88xx and 83xx Curve came out, wasn't enough of a change to justify getting rid of my 8700, and I'm happy with my 8700.
    10-18-08 10:12 PM
    I will be getting the first gen Storm and can almost gaurantee I won't be getting the 2nd gen version. I have a hard time justifying dropping several hundred dollars for anything short of a significant game changer. I found that to be the case when the 88xx and 83xx Curve came out, wasn't enough of a change to justify getting rid of my 8700, and I'm happy with my 8700.
    i agree with you, i normally don't like to uprade thing unless ultimately necessary. But something that i carry around all day with me i need to replace if there are enough problems or there is something more functional, it may sound selfish. But i usually tend to buy a new car every 2 years because i get bored with what im driving the same goes for phones. but when it comes to TV's and computers i only upgrade unless necessary. Like i'm still repping DVD's i haven't even made the blu-ray switch i don't plan to for awhile
    10-18-08 10:24 PM
    I cant wait. This will be my first Blackberry. If there are bugs, oh well.
    10-18-08 10:26 PM
    this will be my first blackberry as well, everyone else in the office seems to have one and love 'em. I'm definitely not waiting for a second generation of the storm to come out.

what happened to Blackberry's being "solid, stable and secure"...all this talk about bugs makes me think of the iphone all over again.
    Last edited by gibsonhtp; 10-18-08 at 10:40 PM.
    10-18-08 10:37 PM
    Since most of us can upgrade every year (at least with Verizon) I see no reason to wait. By the time the new version comes out, we will be able to get it subsidized.
    Upgrade every year? Really? I thought we could upgrade after 1 year and 8 months. Sorry, I'm new with Verizon and that's what the rep told me. Isn't it new every 2 or something like that?
    10-18-08 10:44 PM
    Upgrade every year? Really? I thought we could upgrade after 1 year and 8 months. Sorry, I'm new with Verizon and that's what the rep told me. Isn't it new every 2 or something like that?
    The New Every 2 is after 1 year and 8 months, but if you're on a plan that's more than $49.99 a month (before add-ons), you can upgrade once every year - you don't get your New Every 2 credit though, and if you're not a VIP customer they also tack on an extra $20 fee for the early upgrade.

If you're a VIP member, you can upgrade every year with no fee. You can find info on the VIP program in this post
    Last edited by kf6tac; 10-18-08 at 11:00 PM.
    10-18-08 10:55 PM
    Even if there are problems with the first gen it will be under warranty for at least a year. So no way I'm waiting untill the second gen.
    10-18-08 11:10 PM
    I will wait for the so called bold with touchscreen keyboard just seems like a must for me
    although with one of the upgrades on the other lines I will be jumping straight into a javelin for a spare
    10-18-08 11:20 PM
    I will wait for the so called bold with touchscreen keyboard just seems like a must for me
    although with one of the upgrades on the other lines I will be jumping straight into a javelin for a spare
    I was momentarily tempted to wait for that, but then I realized that it's rumored for Q3/Q4 2009, which (assuming the Storm hits market in the next month or so) is about a year from now anyway. I could potentially have both. Plus there's no word yet whether it will be a worldphone like the Storm, or if it will be GSM-only. It'd suck for me to wait the extra year for it (if the early projections are accurate) only to not be able to get it on Verizon.
    10-18-08 11:28 PM
    I will wait as the my BB is my only one and I can't afford any problems due to my business. That is why my OS is still at 4.3. Almost wish I had a second BB to have real fun with.
    10-18-08 11:35 PM
    I was momentarily tempted to wait for that, but then I realized that it's rumored for Q3/Q4 2009, which (assuming the Storm hits market in the next month or so) is about a year from now anyway. I could potentially have both. Plus there's no word yet whether it will be a worldphone like the Storm, or if it will be GSM-only. It'd suck for me to wait the extra year for it (if the early projections are accurate) only to not be able to get it on Verizon.
    the only thing I dont like about the storm is the lack of keyboard so I will be jumping on that javelin and then after the year I will get the bold with touchscreen
    if the storm had a keyboard I would get it pretty soon
    10-18-08 11:36 PM
    I know someone is going to get me for posting this because it's relating to ppc devices, but when i got my xv6700 i couldn't wait to get the xv6800. They were worlds apart well kind of. The storm has features that i will be happy with and storage capacity to go along with it. So unless it's an insurance issue i probably won't get the 2nd gen.
    10-18-08 11:42 PM
    I'm a tech junkie. Never! Bring them all on.
    10-18-08 11:43 PM
    No way in h e l l I'll be able to wait for a 2nd gen version. Would rather get the 1st then upgrade to the 2nd when it's time to (assuming one even comes out).
    10-19-08 09:35 AM
    I will be waiting for the next Sorm that comes out with a 4" screen.
    Just my wants; don't start any rumors on that one
    I'm a tech junkie as well
    AKA
    S1
    10-19-08 09:44 AM
    I can't wait for the first Storm there is no way I will wait on the second. I am keen to get the Storm not on contract. So I will have to pay Vodafone a lot of cash for one or take my chances on eBay.

I am going to France tomorrow for a week and I can just feel it in my water that Vodafone UK will put the phone on sale when I am away.

Alex
    10-19-08 10:19 AM
    I'll be gettin the 1st gen for sure, as for 2nd gen well that depends on what else is out there cus ya never know who'll be makin what by then...
    10-20-08 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD