I am still up in the air on my Storm. I am in the middle of my learning curve right now but before I do a final verdict can some iphone users help me out with a few questions?

Don't worry about giving me a technical answer - a simple yes or now will work but if you want to get into details, feel free.

1. I know you can't send a picture on the iphone via mms but you can do it via email correct?

2. How often can you tell the iphone to go fetch your Comcast email or Gmail account? What is the shortest interval?
    On my Storm it is taking about a good 15 minutes to go get my mail and I'm used to my old BB getting it instantly...did I miss a setting?

3. I couldn't get my VZ Navigator to work so I called support - they said I can try it out free for a month but then after that it's 10 bucks. Is there any cost associated with using GPS on ATT?

4. Personally why did you switch? Did the Storm offer you something that the iphone didn't that you just couldn't live without? Bad ATT network? or did you want the newest toy out there.

Thanks!
    11-23-08 11:26 AM
    I am still up in the air on my Storm. I am in the middle of my learning curve right now but before I do a final verdict can some iphone users help me out with a few questions?

Don't worry about giving me a technical answer - a simple yes or now will work but if you want to get into details, feel free.

1. I know you can't send a picture on the iphone via mms but you can do it via email correct?

2. How often can you tell the iphone to go fetch your Comcast email or Gmail account? What is the shortest interval?
    On my Storm it is taking about a good 15 minutes to go get my mail and I'm used to my old BB getting it instantly...did I miss a setting?

3. I couldn't get my VZ Navigator to work so I called support - they said I can try it out free for a month but then after that it's 10 bucks. Is there any cost associated with using GPS on ATT?

4. Personally why did you switch? Did the Storm offer you something that the iphone didn't that you just couldn't live without? Bad ATT network? or did you want the newest toy out there.

Thanks!
    1.yes
    2.its a setting, you can choose the minutes - no details right now, iPhone not nearby.
    3.no, free google maps using agps/gps. No turn by turn directions. Must buy app for that.
    4.Didn't switch. Own several phones. If I had to choose one and was already on iPhone I would stay with iPhone - their bugs already worked out. Only reason to switch today is network. RIM hardware & software is 6-12 months behind where it needs to be (screen gaps already posing problem - software lag - SD card memory issues).

FWIW, the memory card software issues will be fixed in the update scheduled for about 1.5 weeks from now. Most don't even know there are problems but VZW does.
    Last edited by verizontroll; 11-23-08 at 11:38 AM.
    11-23-08 11:34 AM

Thanks!
    1. Yes, as an attachment direct from the Photo viewer

2. The shortest is 15 minutes. However, if you open email and go to that inbox, it will initiate an instant Fetch

3. No, GPS is free but there are no navigation apps for turn-by-turn. Only a directions thing in Google maps where you click next to see each turn on a route. The newest Google maps has street view, which is amazing, but not all that useful.

4. The iPhone is good, but has shortcomings: 1) Way too low volume for the earpiece and ringer and speaker (I missed calls all the time by not hearing), 2) Battery life is bad (I recharge twice a day), 3) Its a great iPod (but I never used it), great game platform (not for me), and great video player (again, not for me). The phone part is 4th on the list of iPhone features in my opinion. Also, AT&T has poor 3G data speeds in most cases so you need to switch to WiFi and that got old. Lastly, AT&T signal in my house would flop from full bars to none to EDGE and back. I'd get call failed, or no service... and I'm fairly close to the tower.

So overall it was a great "toy" but I want a 1) Phone, 2) Web Browser, and 3) Maps with a network that is everywhere all the time. I think Verizon and BlackBerry will cover me there (and I know from pre-iPhone experience it will).
    11-23-08 11:47 AM
    1. Yes
    2. There is actually push but it's only for MobileMe and exchange. For comcast, gmail and other services the shortest interval is 5 minutes. Regarding your storm email I haveno idea as of now b/c I don't have my storm yet.
    3. There is google maps which is free but it doesnt have turn by turn navigation.
    4. I switched mainly because of the network. I have poor AT&T network at my house.
    11-23-08 11:56 AM
    The above questions have already answered, but here's my opinion on 4.

I didn't switch as the Storm is flawed on so many levels, from hardware to software. I've tried so much to like it, forgive its problems, appease the part of me that desperately wanted it to be awesome.

Firstly, the build quality is horrible. Apart from the obvious, much discussed 'gap', the screen STILL 'ripples' under pressure. If the screen was fixed (or just better 'holstered') both issues above would not be a problem. Also, my friend's Storm's buttons fell off after a few days of in/out holster use. Nice. In comparison, my 2G iphone is built like a tank. Sealed premium metal + glass > plastic housing + flimsy glass screen + removable metal back. iPhone haters go on about the lack of the removable battery, but they are blind to the fact it is a design attribute to make it a solid piece of kit. It can make a call after being run over by a truck, whilst the Storm is likely to fall apart in your pocket (dust) or pouch. I foresee returns aplently.

Software wise, there's no competition. OS is slow, buggy: accelerometer sensor is just crap, it crashes, video can be choppy (great memory management...). I think the difference is that the iphone is a portable computer, and the Storm is a phone. Go figure.

As for typing, it's slow and stupid. The iphone remembers your keywords and tailors itself to you - the storm tells you what it thinks you should say, all the time. Nothing is 'easier' on the storm than the Bold. Smartphone? Dumb, dumb, dumb...
    11-23-08 01:20 PM

Thanks!
    1. Yes you can send/receive through emails. If you jailbreak, you can have full MMS capabilities.

2. You can change the fetch options on the iPhone. Or just sign up for push email can receive everything instantly. (MobileMe, Yahoo, Mail2Web)

3. the iPhone only uses google maps for now. So there is no extra cost really, it's part of the unlimited data plan.

4. I didn't switch. Being completely satisfied with my iPhone, I will not make the jump for the Storm. Plus I feel the app store on the Storm will never match the iPhone being that it is controlled by the carrier (**** Verizon). Also, I have a Bold.

Also @Megabit- Maybe ATT data speeds are slow in your area, but ATT has the faster 3G network.
    11-23-08 01:32 PM

Thanks!

I had the iPhone then went to the Voyager and am now waiting for my Curve in the mail (decided against a Storm)... but I'll help you the best I can.

1. You can send pictures via Email. When you get an MMS, they give you a user ID and password for it and u have to visit a website to view it. You might do this once and then realize what a hassle it is and never view an MMS again.

2. I had the original iPhone, but it generally took 5-10 minutes I would guess.

3. Yes, AT&T has a similar pricing plan for their GPS navigator (~10/month), but the iPhone doesn't have the AT&T Navigator on it, it only has Google Maps. You may be able to download it or buy an app, but I'm not sure.

4. I had the iPhone and loved it except for the typing. I couldn't efficiently answer emails and it starting to really bug me. My family switched to Verizon because of a discount where one of them worked and I got the Voyager. The Voyager has a great keyboard but thats about it. Every other cool thing you can do with the Voyager Verizon nickel & dimes you for and it gets old. Just to have an email program that retrieves your email it cost $5.99/month! I was dying to get the Bold but I can't switch back to AT&T. I was looking forward to the Storm but I decided against it. I just got a Curve on ebay and am now waiting for the Javelin/Niagara/Jupiter for Verizon...basically anything with a physical Keyboard from Blackberry.

Hope that all helped.
    11-23-08 02:17 PM
    Also, my friend's Storm's buttons fell off after a few days of in/out holster use. Nice.
    First of all, the Storm has only been out since Friday. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you stretched the truth on this one.
    11-23-08 02:35 PM
    First of all, the Storm has only been out since Friday. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you stretched the truth on this one.
    Unless his friend is using Vodafone, then it might be a stretch.
    11-23-08 02:42 PM
    ^^ Sherlock strikes again
    11-23-08 02:48 PM
    I'll add that mine didn't have this particular defect, but try tugging them out a little at an angle, you'll see what I mean.
    11-23-08 02:50 PM
    I'll add that mine didn't have this particular defect, but try tugging them out a little at an angle, you'll see what I mean.
    The only thing is, Verizons Storm doesn't come with a Holster. But I know the problem you are talking about. I believe I saw somewhere on this forum that there is a thread on the Vodafone forums specifically talking about the Storm and its holster problem.
    11-23-08 02:56 PM
    Well, you're not missing anything apart from a holster that doesn't fit properly.
    11-23-08 04:45 PM
    [QUOTE=avt123;1028104]1. Yes you can send/receive through emails. If you jailbreak, you can have full MMS capabilities.

Please explain the jail break?
    12-06-08 10:15 PM
    [QUOTE=Madness luvs BB;1124619]
    1. Yes you can send/receive through emails. If you jailbreak, you can have full MMS capabilities.

Please explain the jail break?
    Jailbreak is basically to unlock the phone to allow it to do things (install apps, etc) that its not supposed to be able to do per the manufacturer.

Check this. Iphone Jailbreak: iPhone Pwnage Tool 2.0.2 Available Now (Jailbreak and Unlock)
    12-06-08 10:32 PM

Thanks!
    1. Yes
    2. You can set the how often it fetches e-mails (in min.)
    3. Not sure
    4. I'm a diehard MAC computer user, but I had to switch back to Verizon because I have no AT&T signal where I live. I also thought that as a phone, the iPhone 3G was lacking in certain key areas. For example, the earpiece volume is way too low even at the highest setting, very difficult to hear callers when outdoors in the city. Ringer volume is also too low to hear outdoors.
    12-07-08 12:09 AM
    The Iphone is best handset on the market hands down.
    The 9530 has a lot of potential in the future because it is truley is great piece of hardware, but RIM and VZW haven't even come close to figuring out how to write the proper software so that these devices can even function at half the level of an Iphone. There is a really good reason why AT&T is taking a large portion of Verizon's market share.

The Storm isn't even half as good as the Iphone. If At &T didn't charge $20 a month for unlimited text, and if I wasn't required to have VZW service by my employer, I would have already made the switch.
    12-07-08 12:24 AM
    I had the iphone, best phone on the market, unless you want to:

Make a call anyplace it is a bit noisy.

Don�t want dropped calls because the phone still has problems with at&ts g3 network.

Need to make a call but you see your battery is dead because you have already used the phone for a couple of hours off and on.

Copy and paste.

Send a friend a picture to their phone.

Replace your battery because it is not holding a charge like it once did.

Pull your memory out of your phone and have photos made of the pictures you just took.

The Storm with it's problems is a much better phone.
    12-07-08 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD